Blaine Gabbert enters NFL draft

Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Dont see anything special about this kid

id rather go with Ricky Stanzi over Gabbert

I agree and i'm not even that high on Stanzi. I need to see more of Gabbert thought. I seen him that bowl game and nothing really impressed me about that performance. Just looked like a good run of the mill spread system qb.

I pray Arizona drafts this guy.

seems to be another coming of Alex Smith

NO THANKS

LET ARIZONA TAKE HIM EARLY THAT WAY WE CAN.........

Gabbert is more accurate than Alex and throws the ball down the field better. He's pretty tall at 6'5'' and also real mobile. He has a great arm and he's used to throwing the ball around a ton. Honestly, he reminds me a little bit of a less polished Sam Bradford. I would pick him at #7 if we can. Hopefully Luck comes out and someone else overdrafts Cam Newton so Gabbert's available. He could probably play well in any offense system too. I don't really see how you guys can compare him to Alex. Not to mention Gabbert would probably be playing under a QB guru like Harbaugh.

I'll pass

lol I have no idea why you're saying you'd pass. I mean he is not a finished product there but he has huge potential. All you're saying is "well he could be kind of like alex smith because I said so, and Ill pass because he is a no good bum!!".

He has a couple things going for him already:
1. He has a great arm
2. He's very mobile
3. (this is where he reminds me of Bradford a bit) His college team was basically built on his arm. Even though he played in a spread, he threw the ball a lot and made a lot more NFL throws than Alex ever did in college. I don't get where you're comparing him to Alex Smith. His stats weren't on the same level as Bradford and he's not as polished as Bradford was but the potential is definitely there. If you look at Colt McCoy who is also playing decently for Cleveland until the last few weeks, he was in a spread but that Texas team was built on his arm. Same with Tebow.
No thank you
Originally posted by SF69ers:

I agree and i'm not even that high on Stanzi. I need to see more of Gabbert thought. I seen him that bowl game and nothing really impressed me about that performance. Just looked like a good run of the mill spread system qb.

NO THANKS

Gabbert is more accurate than Alex and throws the ball down the field better. He's pretty tall at 6'5'' and also real mobile. He has a great arm and he's used to throwing the ball around a ton. Honestly, he reminds me a little bit of a less polished Sam Bradford. I would pick him at #7 if we can. Hopefully Luck comes out and someone else overdrafts Cam Newton so Gabbert's available. He could probably play well in any offense system too. I don't really see how you guys can compare him to Alex. Not to mention Gabbert would probably be playing under a QB guru like Harbaugh.

I think it's ridiculous how people can compare someone to Alex just because this QB plays in a spread offense. Last year, they were saying the same thing about Tebow. They say the same thing when Locker throws an inaccurate pass.

People need to know what they're talking about before making statements like that.

I've only watched Gabbert play twice and I feel like I still don't have enough to form a valid opinion.

Yeah I agree with you, it's a stupid comparison. I just think people are not real educated on different draft prospects and then they want to make a judgement anyway. I've watched Gabbert 4-5 times over the last 2 years and I don't think he's a great QB yet like a Bradford was but I can definitely see the potential he has. He could definitely be a franchise QB.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

NO THANKS

I think it's ridiculous how people can compare someone to Alex just because this QB plays in a spread offense. Last year, they were saying the same thing about Tebow. They say the same thing when Locker throws an inaccurate pass.

People need to know what they're talking about before making statements like that.

I've only watched Gabbert play twice and I feel like I still don't have enough to form a valid opinion.

Yeah I agree with you, it's a stupid comparison. I just think people are not real educated on different draft prospects and then they want to make a judgement anyway. I've watched Gabbert 4-5 times over the last 2 years and I don't think he's a great QB yet like a Bradford was but I can definitely see the potential he has. He could definitely be a franchise QB.

The bowl game I watched with Missouri and Iowa, you can see the potential is there for sure. His footwork looks fairly decent for someone who plays in the spread and his arm is strong. I did see some inaccurate passes, but the kid will get coaching in the NFL.

Although I'd still rather draft Locker, I wouldn't be overly upset with Gabbert.
With the right coaching and enough time, he could definitely develop into a Rodgers-type of QB (WCO skills, excellent mobility and vertical passing threat).
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
With the right coaching and enough time, he could definitely develop into a Rodgers-type of QB (WCO skills, excellent mobility and vertical passing threat).

We have options!!!
Ideal scenario would be to sign a veteran starter at QB, then draft Gabbert or Newton at #7. Next, trade back in to the back-end of the first to get a high-end CB like Aaron Williams or Janoris Jenkins. Include a free agent signing like Richard Marshall (CB), move Clements to FS and also sign a DE/OLB like Jason Babin, and we'll be right back in the thick of things.
Ideal scenario would be to sign a veteran starter at QB, then draft Gabbert or Newton at #7. Next, trade back in to the back-end of the first to get a high-end CB like Aaron Williams or Janoris Jenkins. Include a free agent signing like Richard Marshall (CB), move Clements to FS and also sign a DE/OLB like Jason Babin, and we'll be right back in the thick of things.

Exactly what I was thinking. Totally moce Clements to FS, his age, and ball hawking skills would now be a perfect fit for that position.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

Exactly what I was thinking. Totally moce Clements to FS, his age, and ball hawking skills would now be a perfect fit for that position.

The only problem : Who do you sign ? I don't think anybody besides Palmer or Orton would be worth it. McNabb is to expensive, Alex may be one of the better qb's in free agency, but he is definitly gone. So who else ?
Originally posted by stever:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

The only problem : Who do you sign ? I don't think anybody besides Palmer or Orton would be worth it. McNabb is to expensive, Alex may be one of the better qb's in free agency, but he is definitly gone. So who else ?

yeah....I dont have a clue....Alex will be the best free agent qb out there.

Oh Yeah!!!!
even if we dont get him it is always good for as much potential talent to enter the draft so we get a better player.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
He'll be a first rounder, but likely will be over-drafted. I think he's a top 20 kind of guy, right now.

I agree, I originally had Foles going to Miami around that slot and I could see Gabbert going instead since Foles is probably staying in school now.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Insight Bowl:

Passing: B. Gabbert (MIZZ) - 434 YDS, 1 TD, 2 INT

Missouri 24
Iowa 27

[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 3, 2011 at 15:59:26 ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
Insight Bowl:

Passing: B. Gabbert (MIZZ) - 434 YDS, 1 TD, 2 INT

Crazy numbers for passing yards, but throughout the season, he only had 16 TDs and 9 INTs. I only watched two of his games, but it sounds like he's a bit of a gunslinger and forces passes, no?
Share 49ersWebzone