LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 137 users in the forums

Any chance we can move up to #1?

NO.

// Thead.
Originally posted by YorkHater:
Offer our 1st and 3rd round picks along with Justin Smith and Joe Staley for Car #1 overall pick and they're 4th rounder. Staley is massively overrated and the O-line has played better with Sims for 2 consecutive years. Losing Justin Smith would hurt more but 3-4 DEs arent very valuable.
sims wasnt any better and staley played solid-good the last 2 seasons...and i dont want to lose our best pass-rusher.
your whole idea is just ridiculous...
Originally posted by communist:
Offer our 1st and 3rd round picks along with Justin Smith and Joe Staley for Car #1 overall pick and they're 4th rounder. Staley is massively overrated and the O-line has played better with Sims for 2 consecutive years. Losing Justin Smith would hurt more but 3-4 DEs arent very valuable.
sims wasnt any better and staley played solid-good the last 2 seasons...and i dont want to lose our best pass-rusher.
your whole idea is just ridiculous...

you lost me when you suggested trading justin smith so you prefer sims whos in his mid or late 30's to become our starter permanently

Trading away Justin Smith is the worst idea I've heard next to trading Patrick Willis.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Trading away Justin Smith is the worst idea I've heard next to trading Patrick Willis.

Funny you said that because someone wanted to trade our first plus Willis and Gore for the 1st overall pick...
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Funny you said that because someone wanted to trade our first plus Willis and Gore for the 1st overall pick...

They live on Madden land.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by 9NERNATE:
1st, 2nd and 4th would do it.

The problem is that the Panthers won't trade that pick. They need a QB just as bad as we do and won't pass up on that type of talent.

According to the Draft Value chart, a 1st overall pick is worth 3,000 points. So our 1st round (1500) 2nd round (510) and 4th round (88) would leave us WELL short of a fair trade and probably have the Panthers front office laugh in our face

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php
It would take our 1st and 2nd this year, plus projecting the #17 overall 1st round pick next year (950 pts) to equal the 3,000 value for 1st overall this year.

That is a lot of quality picks to get one player. We better be very certain that Luck is the next Peyton Brady before committing to such a deal. This teams has some other critical needs besides QB. If that pick were to miss, this team would be set back another 6 years.

Yeah that looks more realistic and I could see that happening except, I think our 1st next year has a huge chance of being the 21st pick just because of our division but your guess is as good as mine
So there would also have to be a clause in there that an additional consideration would be made based on the actual draft value of the 2012 pick. In that case, there would also have to be pretty good player in the deal or yet another draft pick.

Giving up all of those draft picks is pretty scary.
we have too many needs to give up quality-picks...

No, we really don't. You'll be amazed what an ACTUAL coaching staff will get out what is presently a very-well stocked roster.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
we have too many needs to give up quality-picks...

No, we really don't. You'll be amazed what an ACTUAL coaching staff will get out what is presently a very-well stocked roster.
really? so if we would have an actual coaching staff, why do we need luck if that staff can do wonders with the 2nd best option either?
I think it would cost no-less-than...

1st Rd (#7) 2010
2nd Rd 2010
1st Rd 2011

That's a lot of cheddar, but given our QB state, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

While I don't believe that we will trade for the #1 pick or that the Panthers would trade us that pick. I would do it in a heartbeat. If I remember right, Carolina doesn't have a 2nd round pick. They have a lot of positions that need to be upgraded. So it just depends what they do about their QB situation. More picks or a franchise QB? Anyone would easily choose a QB but if they sign a vet...they may be more willing to deal.
I was talking about this on the DraftCountdown forums and Scott Wright replied with this.

Quote:
Scott Wright

Ha, for San Francisco to go from #7 to #1 for Luck it would cost A TON.

I honestly can't even fathom the price.

I would think at least a 1st, 2nd and 3rd plus one or two future #1's.
No. Any talk of moving up to number one is out of the realm of possibility. It is too far down the board. And, why would the Panthers trade away the best QB to enter the league in a long, long time?

Would you trade him if you were the Panthers?
Originally posted by drake49er:
While I don't believe that we will trade for the #1 pick or that the Panthers would trade us that pick. I would do it in a heartbeat. If I remember right, Carolina doesn't have a 2nd round pick. They have a lot of positions that need to be upgraded. So it just depends what they do about their QB situation. More picks or a franchise QB? Anyone would easily choose a QB but if they sign a vet...they may be more willing to deal.
thought the same...but they biggest need right now is DT and they can shut this hole down with a FA-move and a 3rd-round pick imo.
  • dj43
Originally posted by strickac:
I think it would cost no-less-than...

1st Rd (#7) 2011
2nd Rd 2011
1st Rd 2012

That's a lot of cheddar, but given our QB state, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

It is more complicated than that. In order for the 2012 1st round pick to work it would have to be AT LEAST the #17 overall pick OR BETTER. If Luck turned out to be good enough to get SF into the playoffs, that pick would be no higher than #21 (not yet enough value) which means yet another pick would be required.

As you can see, for anyone other than Mike Ditka, such a deal is really out of the question. I think the 49ers will be able to get a decent QB without having to go that route.
Share 49ersWebzone