LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

Any chance we can move up to #1?

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Not in a responsible way, no.

Using the draft chart it would be too costly. But it will likely take far more than that to secure the best QB prospect in some time. The draft chart means nothing.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
1) I doubt Carolina wants to pass on a franchise QB. Would you pass on Luck if you
just went 2-14?

2) To get the #1 pick a team will have to pay a kings ransom. Arizona and the Niners would both kill to get this kid. It will cost WAY too much.

Luck is going to be a Panther unless he decides to stay in school.

I'd have to say Yes I would if I were Carolina. But, only if its a move within the Top 10, that way I could acquire few more picks and still get my franchise QB.

I seriously doubt they would trade Luck and then draft a QB later in the top 10. If they did decide to move the pick it would mean they are going to stick with Clausen and draft other positions. AJ Green would make a lot of sense for the Panthers if they moved down.

Like I said in another thread, you have to be willing to give up a lot to move into the Panthers position to draft Luck. And if I were Carolina and could acquire more picks and move back up again into the 1st, I'd do it if I were Carolina.
Could be real expensive but worth it. I'd rather see Luck go to Panthers than Cardinals.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Could be real expensive but worth it. I'd rather see Luck go to Panthers than Cardinals.
a rookie-qb with whisenhunt? so what...
Carolina would make out BIG TIME. Because there would be a bidding war between us and Arizona....the price would be very steep.

I would trade next year's #1 for this kid.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Carolina would make out BIG TIME. Because there would be a bidding war between us and Arizona....the price would be very steep.

I'd also throw in Parys and Nate Clements too.

I doubt they would pick up Nate's contract and Parys is worth 3rd rounder or worse...

Is everyone sure that CAR is not going to stick with Clausen? He did not look great, but he looked to have some intangibles. Would be sad to see them give up on him already.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SJniner7:

I doubt they would pick up Nate's contract and Parys is worth 3rd rounder or worse...

Is everyone sure that CAR is not going to stick with Clausen? He did not look great, but he looked to have some intangibles. Would be sad to see them give up on him already.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure if we allow them to restructure Nate's contract a trade can go through??
1) I doubt Carolina wants to pass on a franchise QB. Would you pass on Luck if you
just went 2-14?

2) To get the #1 pick a team will have to pay a kings ransom. Arizona and the Niners would both kill to get this kid. It will cost WAY too much.

I'd have to say Yes I would if I were Carolina. But, only if its a move within the Top 10, that way I could acquire few more picks and still get my franchise QB.

I seriously doubt they would trade Luck and then draft a QB later in the top 10. If they did decide to move the pick it would mean they are going to stick with Clausen and draft other positions. AJ Green would make a lot of sense for the Panthers if they moved down.

Like I said in another thread, you have to be willing to give up a lot to move into the Panthers position to draft Luck. And if I were Carolina and could acquire more picks and move back up again into the 1st, I'd do it if I were Carolina.

I agree. Carolina needs alot of help. And not having a 2nd, they need to acquire more picks. So if they were smart, and wanted to get a new QB instead of Clausen, they should trade back in the 1st, pick up a 2nd, and maybe a later pick and someones 1st next year. If they traded with us, they'd still be in position to get a QB in Mallett at 7, they'd have our 2nd and our 1st next year. I'll throw in a 4th and Haralson.
just went 2-14?

I would give up that kings ransom to get Luck.

Quarterbacks make a NFL team nowadays. Luck is the greatest QB prospect to come along since Manning in 04. He is the best chance we have to return to greatness.

Originally posted by SJniner7:

new regimes mean new QBs...and if u have a shot on a franchise-qb, u dont miss it.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by 9NERNATE:
1st, 2nd and 4th would do it.

The problem is that the Panthers won't trade that pick. They need a QB just as bad as we do and won't pass up on that type of talent.

According to the Draft Value chart, a 1st overall pick is worth 3,000 points. So our 1st round (1500) 2nd round (510) and 4th round (88) would leave us WELL short of a fair trade and probably have the Panthers front office laugh in our face

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php
It would take our 1st and 2nd this year, plus projecting the #17 overall 1st round pick next year (950 pts) to equal the 3,000 value for 1st overall this year.

That is a lot of quality picks to get one player. We better be very certain that Luck is the next Peyton Brady before committing to such a deal. This teams has some other critical needs besides QB. If that pick were to miss, this team would be set back another 6 years.
we have too many needs to give up quality-picks...
Offer our 1st and 3rd round picks along with Justin Smith and Joe Staley for Car #1 overall pick and they're 4th rounder. Staley is massively overrated and the O-line has played better with Sims for 2 consecutive years. Losing Justin Smith would hurt more but 3-4 DEs arent very valuable.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by 9NERNATE:
1st, 2nd and 4th would do it.

The problem is that the Panthers won't trade that pick. They need a QB just as bad as we do and won't pass up on that type of talent.

According to the Draft Value chart, a 1st overall pick is worth 3,000 points. So our 1st round (1500) 2nd round (510) and 4th round (88) would leave us WELL short of a fair trade and probably have the Panthers front office laugh in our face

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php
It would take our 1st and 2nd this year, plus projecting the #17 overall 1st round pick next year (950 pts) to equal the 3,000 value for 1st overall this year.

That is a lot of quality picks to get one player. We better be very certain that Luck is the next Peyton Brady before committing to such a deal. This teams has some other critical needs besides QB. If that pick were to miss, this team would be set back another 6 years.

Yeah that looks more realistic and I could see that happening except, I think our 1st next year has a huge chance of being the 21st pick just because of our division but your guess is as good as mine
Share 49ersWebzone