LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 417 users in the forums

Can someone please explain the Blaine Gabbert love?

I'm not seeing it. Ok the kid is tall and has a rocket arm. Great.

BUT

He's woefully inaccurate (especially on intermediate to deep passes and fades), has ZERO mobility (i've seen statues with more jiggle), and he's put up far less impressive numbers than his predecessors in the same system.

Admittedly, I've watched only a handful of his games, but the one's i have seen + his youtube highlights are completely unimpressive.

I've tried to force myself to see what is so "good" about him, but it's not happening.

Can someone please sell me on this kid? I hear some of you saying we should take with our 7th overall pick (IF HE'S THERE?!?!?). I'm like 7th overall? More like 7th round...at best...
I'm interested too, it seems like he kinda just emerged on the scene a couple weeks ago...
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I don't quiet get the love myself, so id be curious why people think so highly of him.
I only watched him in his bowl game so take it for what it's worth. He has a lot of talent but imo I don't see what makes him this can't miss, top-10 prospect.
Prospects are like women; not everyone has the same taste when it comes to what works for you, so you can't be talked into liking or not liking someone. You either see it yourself, or you don't.

No amount of "explaining" or details provided will sway your opinion.
Dude I agree that he may not be the best qb in the draft but if you think he is not mobile enough you my friend have not watched his games. Look on youtube for his forty yard scamper and tell me what STATUE could make that run. LOL at you dude.
he is mobile for sure.

But something about him screams Alex Smith again.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Prospects are like women; not everyone has the same taste when it comes to what works for you, so you can't be talked into liking or not liking someone. You either see it yourself, or you don't.

Sounds like you have no gas in your Gabbert mobile.

Just tell me what you like about him.

Does he have that "it"? Is he more accurate than his 59 and 63% comp stats suggest? Does he have great pocket presence and awareness? Does he look off the safety? Is he a great leader? Does he have great instincts? Does he have a great release point? Does he have a quick release? Is he capable of running multiple systems? Is he durable? ETC.

There is a number of ways to explain why you or anyone who thinks he's worthy of a first round selection, or any selection for that matter.
Originally posted by filthydogma:
Dude I agree that he may not be the best qb in the draft but if you think he is not mobile enough you my friend have not watched his games. Look on youtube for his forty yard scamper and tell me what STATUE could make that run. LOL at you dude.

I watched his "running" vs. Nevada. I'm shocked to learn his brain sends signals to his legs. Perhaps he just had a rock in his shoe that day?
I have man crush on him because: He's tall 6'5, he has a rocket arm, he has good pocket awareness and is a mobile QB who can throw on the run( please watch film before you call him a statue...lol) he has a quick release and can make all of the NFL throws. His career completion % is 62 or 63% so to me he is very accurate...and he is a team leader with top notch intangibles. He also played in a pro-style offense in high school and was rated as the top recruit by rivals. He was actually going to Nebraska to play for Bill Callahan(WCO) before he got canned. His personality is total different than smith(who in comparison coming was very timid...Blaine is not at all).

His negatives to me are: he currently plays in a spread offense and will need to learn a new system. Sometimes only reads half the field and will have to improve his decision making. So it may take a year to get him on the field.

And just because you don't know about a guy doesn't mean he can't be a good player... I didn't know s**t about Joe Flacco or Big Ben and Phillip Rivers until draft time but they turned into pretty damn good football players.
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Sounds like you have no gas in your Gabbert mobile.

Just tell me what you like about him.

Does he have that "it"? Is he more accurate than his 59 and 63% comp stats suggest? Does he have great pocket presence and awareness? Does he look off the safety? Is he a great leader? Does he have great instincts? Does he have a great release point? Does he have a quick release? Is he capable of running multiple systems? Is he durable? ETC.

There is a number of ways to explain why you or anyone who thinks he's worthy of a first round selection, or any selection for that matter.

~Great size for an NFL QB (6'5", 240)
~Rocket arm; can make all the throws (shows nice touch as well)
~Pretty quick release (doesn't wind up)
~Very good mobility, especially for a man his size
~Shows good pocket awareness
~Doesn't throw many picks (only 18 Ints in 920 attempts in 2 years)
~Showed marked improvement in accuracy from Soph to Jr year
~Clutch performer when team was down (5th rated passer when losing by more than 1 TD)
~Definite leader on/off the field

Dislikes:
~Still very raw overall (true junior)
~Spread offense limitations (though was a top-rated pro-style QB in hs)
~Doesn't always show great footwork (throws off his back foot to often)
~Struggled with consistency (tough November after an excellent start)
~Didn't put up big offensive numbers his junior year compared to last year

He's essentially a prototype NFL QB, with the size/arm strength of Big Ben (similar mobility as well, though not as tough to bring down). All the tools are there; he just needs the right coach/system/attitude to make it all happen. Now, whether or not he develops is another question...only time will tell.
He is the #2 QB on Todd McShay's board, not sure about Mel Kiper's...I honestly know nothing about him.
From what I see:
-Good arm strength, not great. He throws the ball with ease, but lacks the zip.
-Nice touch on the ball, but accuracy is inconsistent.
-Gets the ball out quick (from the Shotgun though, not dropping back)
-Great size, ideal for NFL QB.
-Seems to be mentally stable, good kid (speculation).
-Mobility is fine. Don't expect him to throw defenders off him though (ala Ben).

-Plays out of the shotgun. Will struggle locating his targets while dropping back.
-He's used to seeing trips and 4 WRs on the field. How will he handle a pro-set and less options?

IMO, Gabbert is a bigger version of Alex Smith. I'm not saying their careers will parallel, but their strengths and weaknesses are similar. I wouldn't be opposed to us drafting him, but I don't see why he leaped into the early 1st talk. I don't see that at all.
Share 49ersWebzone