There are 144 users in the forums

My mock draft 2.0(with what I guess actually happens)

First I'm going to guess we hire Baalke for GM, assuming that everyone who is talking about that is right. 2Nd I'm going to assume Schefter is correct and Clayton+Jason la Canfora are correct when they say Baalke won't be able to interest Harbaugh. This is not what I WANT to happen, I rather have a gm like Ted Sundquist and a coach like Harbaugh or Gruden. But you dont always get what you want. So I'm going to guess that we do this:

GM: Baalke

HC: Mike Mularkey

9ers get a conservative HC like Mularkey who Jed admires because he's part of ATL's structure or whatever and he is here to mold a young QB. Him loving to run the ball might actually be a good thing in that case because it wouldn't put to much on the QB's shoulders and kill their development. The Falcons also use some play action off their run game. Also my guess is he would switch to a 4-3 D like the Falcons run

1st pick: Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas

Luck won't be available here and Mallett is the only other QB in the first round that will be ready to play. He has a strong arm and fits the whole "run and then use play action, plus take shots down the field" idea that Mularkey would probably use. He makes questionable decisions sometimes so a good running game will be crucial to his development. But he can get the ball down field and fit the ball into extremely tight windows. He's got a great arm.

2nd round: Cameron Jordan, DE Cal

Ideally we'd take a CB or a FS here but most likely the 2 FS we could use, DeAndre McDaniel from Clemson and Rahim Moore from UCLA will be gone in the first round. Picking another FS would probably be a reach here, except maybe Deunta Williams but after he broke his leg that might impact his draft stock. I don't know how bad the injury is. So I picked a DE here who has done a decent job rushing the passer at Cal (6 sacks each last 2 years) and he's not easily moved either because he has good size.

3rd round: Rashad Carmichael, CB Virginia Tech

I really like this guy because even though he's kind of small, he's got a lot of speed and we need some speedy corners so we don't always get lit up by fast WRs and quick WRs. He also has 10 picks over the last 2 years so he's quite a ball hawk. I'm worried his stock will really rise though after the combine. But he makes a lot of sense here for a team like us, I expect us to be interested no matter who the HC and DC and GM are.

4th round: DeAndre Brown, WR Southern Mississippi

He's a big WR who can make tough catches and you can throw jump balls to. We haven't had a WR who is physically superior to CBs because of height and jumping ability in a while, so he would be a unique fit for us. His stock could rise if he runs well at the combine though. He's probably only in this area since he wasn't able to produce like he has before after he dealt with some nagging injuries.

4th round: Lance Kendricks, TE Wisconsin

He's a good TE who is bigger and stronger than Delanie Walker, but still is good at going out and catching some passes. I'd like to see us get another TE like him or Luke Stocker who can be used differently than Vernon. With Vernon's speed and a strong armed QB, you could really utilize his athleticism down the field. So the other QB will work the shorter/intermediate areas more. I could be wrong on this, I dunno. But it is also important because Delanie is not a great run blocker, and so when we bring a guy like Byham in teams usually know its a run. With 2 good TEs who can both block and catch passes, it makes you more predictable. Right now we have Vernon who plays almost all the time and then a run blocking TE in byham and a pass catching TE in Delanie.

5th round: Cliff Matthews, DE South Carolina

Picking another DE who can rush the passer. His bro is in the NFL playing like a beast for the Packers and he can sack the QB. He should atleast turn out to be a rotation player on a decent team, so with a 5th round he's worth a shot.

6th round: Owen Maricic, FB Stanford

He can block pretty well, and Norris is pretty much done for. He also has decent hands and can catch a few passes out of the back field. He can also get the ball a few times in short yardage situations.

6th round: Kris Adams, WR UTEP

Nobody has probably seen him play a whole lot, but he lit it up vs BYU and seems to have decent speed(had 3 plays over 40 yards or something like that) and averaged 22 yards/catch over the season. He's also 6'3'' and managed to score 14 TDs. I'm not sure where he's supposed to get drafted or if he is at all, this is pretty much a shot in the dark here. I've seen all the other guys on my mock play multiple times but him not so much. I think he has a lot of potential though, and we could use a WR like that.

7th round: whoever, take a flyer on someone. Maybe get a kicker.

resign in free agency:
David Baas C
Ray McDonald DE/DT
Tony Wragge back up OG/C
Dashon Goldson FS(he sucks but he's cheap so I'm sure the 9ers will take him back, especially if Baalke is the GM)

let go of/not re-sign:

Nate Clements, he's not playing well anymore and he's starting to get paid way too much money

Takeo Spikes-I'd like to keep him but I'm not sure if he fits in a 4-3 D here, plus he probably wants to go to a winning team

Manny Lawson-I'd love to keep him in a 4-3 since he's good in coverage and vs the run but he's probably sick of this FO and losing and constant coaching changes and bad coaches, so he leaves for greener pastures or a bigger paycheck

Nate Davis-Not sure another coach wants a QB with dyslexia where it takes him 2 years to learn a playbook, not to mention we'd probably want a vet behind our new young QB.

Alex Smith-Time to move on for both parties, enough said.

Troy Smith-He's not the answer and I don't see why a new HC would want to keep him around. We can get a better vet to mentor our new QB.

Aubrayo Franklin-He'll leave for a better contract somewhere else to try to masquerade as a 3-4 NT for another team. I thought he was a lot better last year than this year, he's getting in his 30s and no way should we pay him what he wants.

Westbrook-I would keep him but he probably doesn't want to stick around.

Free Agents signed:

CB Champ Bailey-Replaces Nate and is still a great player. We should pay him a lot of money so we'll finally have a CB who can cover well. Ideally we'd get Jonathon Joseph or someone, but nobody is sure what's happening with the new CBA and the 4 year FA vs 5 year FA situation and what happens to restricted FAs.

OLB Ben Leber-Have no idea if he signed an extension or anything in MN, but if not then bring him here. He can still play and we need an OLB opposite Bowman and next to Willis. He shouldn't cost a lot either and he's a veteran who can bring some leadership.

RG Harvey Dahl-Think he got injured this year but I'm not sure. Either way he can replace Chilo at RG and fit in with Mularkey since they're farmiliar with eachother.

DT Marcus Stroud-He was a beast when he was in Jacksonville. He was always in a 4-3 and now Buffalo's trying to transition to a 3-4. He should hopefully not be too expensive and work well for us. He has been kind of forgotten in Buffalo. He can get to the QB a little bit but mainly he is a run stopper.

RB Jerome Harrison-He had a good year in Cleveland last year and then this year they discovered the greatness that is Peyton Hillis so he got traded. Now he's in PHI and not playing as much. We could pick him up to be our 3rd string RB and bring some quickness.

QBs Trent Edwards and Kerry Collins-Edwards would just be a back up, Kerry probably would be too but would provide more of a veteran presence for Mallett. Edwards is the 3rd stringer and Kerry is 2nd but may start if Mallett is not ready.

Thoughts? This is pretty realistic IMO, maybe not the FA but as far as the draft and the HC and GM it is. The FAs should not be too expensive either, but some of those are kind of high profile guys so we'll see.
Mike Mularkey- Another offensive-minded HC. (Notice a pattern here from Jed York?) A 14-18 record as a HC isn't the best, but keep in mind, his 9-7 season with the Bills in 2004 was that organization's last winning record! Since he resigned in 2005, Mularkey has gone on to be a position coach and/or OC with 2 different teams. He has most recently had success with the Atlanta Falcons (Jed's "model organization") and helped to develop a young QB Matt Ryan. In my opinion, you could easily transfer the Falcons' style of offense to the 49ers! Make a few small changes, find a good QB, and I think it could be a great fit.

From Matt Maiocco:

Quote:
"Walsh drafted him in 1983 as a tight end, but he was cut before he ever appeared in a game with the 49ers. Mularkey experienced success as Steelers offensive coordinator before landing with the Buffalo Bills as head coach. He resigned after the 2005 season citing a disagreement in the direction of the organization. The Bills rallied from an 0-4 start to go 9-7 in his first season. In Year 2, the Bills fell to 5-11 with J.P. Losman and Kelly Holcomb as his quarterbacks. Mularkey is hot again as coordinator of the Atlanta Falcons. Not to compare Mornhinweg and Mularkey with the Patriots' Bill Belichick, but Belichick was considered among the game's biggest flops during his first NFL stint with the Cleveland Browns."

[ Edited by PTulini on Jan 2, 2011 at 00:24:32 ]
Originally posted by PTulini:
Mike Mularkey- Another offensive-minded HC. (Notice a pattern here from Jed York?) A 14-18 record as a HC isn't the best, but keep in mind, his 9-7 season with the Bills in 2004 was that organization's last winning record! Since he resigned in 2005, Mularkey has gone on to be a position coach and/or OC with 2 different teams. He has most recently had success with the Atlanta Falcons (Jed's "model organization") and helped to develop a young QB Matt Ryan. In my opinion, you could easily transfer the Falcons' style of offense to the 49ers! Make a few small changes, find a good QB, and I think it could be a great fit.

Quote:
"Walsh drafted him in 1983 as a tight end, but he was cut before he ever appeared in a game with the 49ers. Mularkey experienced success as Steelers offensive coordinator before landing with the Buffalo Bills as head coach. He resigned after the 2005 season citing a disagreement in the direction of the organization. The Bills rallied from an 0-4 start to go 9-7 in his first season. In Year 2, the Bills fell to 5-11 with J.P. Losman and Kelly Holcomb as his quarterbacks. Mularkey is hot again as coordinator of the Atlanta Falcons. Not to compare Mornhinweg and Mularkey with the Patriots' Bill Belichick, but Belichick was considered among the game's biggest flops during his first NFL stint with the Cleveland Browns."

I don't want him as HC honestly, I rather have Harbaugh or maybe even Billick or another WCO coach. But I know Jed really likes him. Not to mention, who do you have as QB in a WCO? Alex isn't sticking around and he might still do poorly anyway, Troy Smith is horrible at short passes, Luck will be taken, I can't picture Mallett in a WCO really, and the other QBs are all not ready to play. Maybe a Carson Palmer becomes available but I dunno. Kyle Orton? Mularkey is the only HC I think who would really maximize Mallett's talents. But maybe if it was a WCO like Philly runs that has some burners at WR it would work. I don't see any of the other first round QBs who will be available as good fits for us either.

What do you think?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Quote:

I don't want him as HC honestly, I rather have Harbaugh or maybe even Billick or another WCO coach. But I know Jed really likes him. Not to mention, who do you have as QB in a WCO? Alex isn't sticking around and he might still do poorly anyway, Troy Smith is horrible at short passes, Luck will be taken, I can't picture Mallett in a WCO really, and the other QBs are all not ready to play. Maybe a Carson Palmer becomes available but I dunno. Kyle Orton? Mularkey is the only HC I think who would really maximize Mallett's talents. But maybe if it was a WCO like Philly runs that has some burners at WR it would work. I don't see any of the other first round QBs who will be available as good fits for us either.

What do you think?

I personally like Mike Mularkey. He got a raw deal in Buffalo and decided to resign as a result. He didn't have very much to work with, and yet still helped the Bills reach a 9-7 record in his first year! (They haven't had a winning record since!) Now that he's been with the Falcons, look at the success they have had. I think Mike has been had huge part in Matt Ryan's success. When I look at the Falcons' offense, I could easily see our current players being a good fit in that offense. If it was up to me, I would trade for QB Carson Palmer (a change of scenery may do him some good?) or Kyle Orton (Tim Tebow appears to be the Bronco's future).

As for the draft, I say CB (LSU's Patrick Peterson or Nebraska's Prince Amukamara) or find a pass rusher (4-3 or 3-4) depending on the scheme. Then get a QB to develop in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

[ Edited by PTulini on Jan 2, 2011 at 00:55:50 ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Quote:

What do you think?

I personally like Mike Mularkey. He got a raw deal in Buffalo and decided to resign as a result. He didn't have very much to work with, and yet still helped the Bills reach a 9-7 record in his first year! (They haven't had a winning record since!) Now that he's been with the Falcons, look at the success they have had. I think Mike has been had huge part in Matt Ryan's success. When I look at the Falcons' offense, I could easily see our current players being a good fit in that offense. If it was up to me, I would trade for QB Carson Palmer (a change of scenery may do him some good?) or Kyle Orton (Tim Tebow appears to be the Bronco's future).

As for the draft, I say CB (LSU's Patrick Peterson or Nebraska's Prince Amukamara) or find a pass rusher (4-3 or 3-4) depending on the scheme. Then get a QB to develop in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

See my reasoning for drafting Mallett is that if Mularkey is legit, we might as well give him a franchise type QB to see if he can have the same success he had with Matt Ryan. I would only go defense and developmental QB later on if we went with the WCO type of HC. But yeah, I would love to get Patrick Peterson for our defense or Nick Fairley like I did in my other mock and then take a QB like Dalton in the 2nd. Get Orton or Palmer probably.

[ Edited by WillistheWall on Jan 2, 2011 at 02:24:29 ]
I think Mularkey and Mallett is a very strong possibility.

Aside from the FA signings, it's very realistic; although Champ is the one guy I hope we land. Our secondary is holding the defense back.

Good job!
Good job

+1

I like most of your draft and its realistic,

Im am unknowledgeable about the late round picks from college but i would like the niners to use our 4th rnds to pick up positional players.. Example instead of the WR why not a lightning bolt RB/KR/SLot WR (poor man McCluster) then turn around with the other 4th and get a PR/CB/FS (poor Arenas(sp?))

Dont like Gholston, i would ask Nate Clements if he wants Gholstons money to move to FS (and it would be him re-structuring)

Also i would pefer a more "Mad man" HC.... As baby jed says a "Grinder"
If we get a Vanilla HC i hope we get some A++++ COordinators
I dont like the switch to 4-3 but see it happening also..
I think we can apply some good toys to a good base 3-4 and make it something special though since we do have some good points in our frnt 7..
Share 49ersWebzone