LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

Bowl Week Prospect Watch #3 (Jan. 1 - 4)

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
If we don't get Luck, two Stanford players I want on this team are Marecic and Sione Fua.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
If we don't get Luck, two Stanford players I want on this team are Marecic and Sione Fua.

Marecic is beastly.

Agreed.

Sigh..

Well, great win for Stanford. On to Mallet vs. Pryor tomorrow night.
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:

Marecic is beastly.

I want him badly, and if Harbaugh is coach, you can bet he will target him.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Marecic is beastly.

You can just tell he loves contact. And we do need a new fullback...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Marecic is beastly.

Marecic is exactly the type of player we need, tough as nails and just wants to play PERIOD, doesn't matter offense or defense. I've been waiting for a FB like him on our team for awhile now. As for Fua, very solid against the run, uses his hands well doesn't just try to muscle his way through, capable of taking on double teams. Those two would be nice with Norris and Franklin leaving.

Marecic is beastly.

Marecic is exactly the type of player we need, tough as nails and just wants to play PERIOD, doesn't matter offense or defense. I've been waiting for a FB like him on our team for awhile now. As for Fua, very solid against the run, uses his hands well doesn't just try to muscle his way through, capable of taking on double teams. Those two would be nice with Norris and Franklin leaving.

patriots will end up with marecic somehow.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Luck seems rather "silver-spoon fed" to me. Gets a ton of help from his OL protection and run game.

Let me tell you what I think. This is my quote from the post asking if we should trade our next year's first rounder for Luck. On October 25th, this is what I said:

Absolutely not. He is not worth that. This board severely overrates Andrew Luck. He's a tremendous prospect, but I would not trade away a pick. We need all the picks we can get, and there are far too many unbelievable players out there right now that could really help us.

No, no I would absolutely not trade it.

Yeah, I hear ya. Overrated, for sure.

So if the Zone is overrating him, then isn't the media and the rest of the NFL too??

Let me ask you guys another question, where would you rate Luck?? And if not #1 overall who deserves to be the overall pick then??

Oh, I guess he's top 3, just looking at the prospects. I don't think he or anyone is a lock to be great at the next level though. I think forum fans tend to exaggerate each accomplishment and make Luckexcuses for any errors he may make. I see a QB that, while very good right now, seems to have a TON of help thanks to great coaching and great OL run and pass blocking.

Not saying that I wouldn't want him as our rookie QB. Just that he gets a lot of help.... and the little things get exaggerated while the bad things get washed away in excuses.
Luck seems rather "silver-spoon fed" to me. Gets a ton of help from his OL protection and run game.

Let me tell you what I think. This is my quote from the post asking if we should trade our next year's first rounder for Luck. On October 25th, this is what I said:

Absolutely not. He is not worth that. This board severely overrates Andrew Luck. He's a tremendous prospect, but I would not trade away a pick. We need all the picks we can get, and there are far too many unbelievable players out there right now that could really help us.

So if the Zone is overrating him, then isn't the media and the rest of the NFL too??

Let me ask you guys another question, where would you rate Luck?? And if not #1 overall who deserves to be the overall pick then??

Oh, I guess he's top 3, just looking at the prospects. I don't think he or anyone is a lock to be great at the next level though. I think forum fans tend to exaggerate each accomplishment and make Luckexcuses for any errors he may make. I see a QB that, while very good right now, seems to have a TON of help thanks to great coaching and great OL run and pass blocking.

Not saying that I wouldn't want him as our rookie QB. Just that he gets a lot of help.... and the little things get exaggerated while the bad things get washed away in excuses.

Were we watching the same game? Dude made some unbelievable throws
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

He was good. Not so much early on... and Hosely sure did drop an easy pick 6 to help him out. He had a lot of excellent pass protection... had great rushing to assist him... had wide open receivers.

See where I'm going with this? I really wanted to see other aspects struggle for him... to see how he performed when all else was imperfect. Didn't really see that. I just see a guy that's good, but benefits from a great scheme and team around him.

He was good. Not so much early on... and Hosely sure did drop an easy pick 6 to help him out. He had a lot of excellent pass protection... had great rushing to assist him... had wide open receivers.

See where I'm going with this? I really wanted to see other aspects struggle for him... to see how he performed when all else was imperfect. Didn't really see that. I just see a guy that's good, but benefits from a great scheme and team around him.

I did think some of his best plays were made on the run though

Agreed.

Sigh..

Well, great win for Stanford. On to Mallet vs. Pryor tomorrow night.

Too bad, Shane Skov won't be available. That man was possessed last night. Luck lived up to all the hype on the big stage. Let's see what Mallet can do under the same circumstances.

Last night J. Gruden (i believe it was him) said (not word 4 word i am sure) that he gives Marecic props for his play. Likes he plays on O and D. Seems to always lead with the right (as in proper) shoulder. BUT said he feels that he is one of the most overhyped/overrated guys on this team, and that although leading into blocks with the right shoulder he has no POP.. Said he cant move college kids around, and sees him missing key blocks.

I feel you on that part, but it's like that for a lot of these college qb's. Folks said the same thing about Sam Bradford. I think the same thing about Blane Gabbert kid. Like when am I gonna see this guy perform when everything isn't perfect. But at the sametime you can't teach accuracy. pocket presence, and qb smarts. all tools that Luck seems to have. all you can do is put the mental with the physical and hopes it works out. It's basically that we won't know til he hits the NFL and has to deal with adversity. Some blossom(Aaron Rodgers) and some falter(Alex smith). That's why the mental side is so important these days. See how the guy reads defenses at this stage. But I agree on that point that you want to see these guys fight through adversity and pull a big win or big play, but a lot of these guys you wont' know about til they get on the field in the NFL.
Setting this up for this weekend's action...

Note: TicketCity Bowl not included. It will be on ESPNU if you care.

S A T U R D A Y, J A N U A R Y 1st

CAPITAL ONE BOWL - #16 Alabama vs. #9 Michigan State, 1 PM ET (ESPN)
Alabama:
QB Greg McElroy, 6-2 225 4.96
OT James Carpenter, 6-5 300 5.36
RB Mark Ingram, 5-10 215 4.48 * JR
ILB Don'ta Hightower, 6-4 258 4.74 * JR
SS Mark Barron, 6-2 210 4.56 * JR - Injured.
DT Marcell Dareus, 6-3 309 4.95 * JR
WR Julio Jones, 6-4 220 4.49 * JR
ILB Courtney Upshaw, 6-2 263 4.73 * JR

Michigan State:
ILB Greg Jones, 6-1 240 4.64
TE Charlie Gantt, 6-5 260 4.87
CB Chris Rucker, 6-2 200 4.55
OT D.J. Young, 6-5 298 5.34
WR Mark Dell, 6-1 200 4.54

OUTBACK BOWL - Florida vs. Penn State, 1 PM ET (ABC)
Florida:
SS Ahmad Black, 5-10 190 4.51
OG Mike Pouncey, 6-4 310 5.29
OT Marcus Gilbert, 6-5 320 5.23
CB Janoris Jenkins, 5-11 186 4.52 * JR - Injured
FS Will Hill, 6-1 207 4.52 * JR

Penn State:
OC Stefen Wisniewski, 6-3 306 5.16
RB Evan Royster, 6-0 228 4.59
DT Ollie Ogbu, 6-1 285 5.09
DE Jack Crawford, 6-5 256 4.67 * JR

PROGRESSIVE GATOR BOWL - #21 Mississippi St. vs. Michigan, 1:30 PM ET (ESPN2)
Mississippi St.:
OT Derek Sherrod, 6-5 305 5.22
OLB K.J. Wright, 6-3 250 4.68
ILB Chris White, 6-3 245 4.80
DE Pernell McPhee, 6-3 285 4.76

Michigan:
OG Steve Schilling, 6-5 308 5.18
OLB Jonas Mouton, 6-2 240 4.64

ROSE BOWL GAME PRESENTED BY VIZIO - #5 Wisconsin vs. #3 TCU, 4:30 PM ET (ESPN)
Wisconsin :
OT Gabe Carimi, 6-7 327 5.12
OG John Moffitt, 6-4 323 5.26
TE Lance Kendricks, 6-3 242 4.69
QB Scott Tolzien, 6-2 208 4.86
RB John Clay, 6-1 248 4.65 * JR
DE J.J. Watt, 6-6 292 4.87 * JR

TCU:
OC Jake Kirkpatrick, 6-3 305 5.14
QB Andy Dalton, 6-2 220 4.94
FS Tejay Johnson, 6-0 212 4.56
OT Marcus Cannon, 6-5 350 5.34
DE/OLB Wayne Daniels, 6-2 250 4.79
WR Jeremy Kerley, 5-10 192 4.55
DT Cory Grant, 6-2 305 5.09
CB Jason Teague, 6-2 197 4.59
OLB Tank Carder, 6-2 237 4.62 * JR

TOSTITOS FIESTA BOWL - Connecticut vs. #7 Oklahoma, 8:30 PM ET (ESPN)
Connecticut:
FB Anthony Sherman, 5-11 240 4.65
OLB Lawrence Wilson, 6-1 226 4.63
OG Scott Hurd, 6-7 325 5.16
ILB Scott Lutrus, 6-3 245 4.68

Oklahoma:
RB DeMarco Murray, 6-1 208 4.48
FS Quinton Carter, 6-1 200 4.57
DE/OLB Jeremy Beal, 6-3 267 4.79
FS Jonathan Nelson, 5-11 188 4.51
OT Eric Mensik, 6-5 290 4.90
WR Ryan Broyles, 5-10 185 4.46 * JR

M O N D A Y, J A N U A R Y 3rd

DISCOVER ORANGE BOWL - #4 Stanford vs. #13 Virginia Tech, 8:30 PM ET (ESPN)
Stanford:
QB Andrew Luck, 6-4 235 4.73 * SO
CB Richard Sherman, 6-2 210 4.57
OC Chase Beeler, 6-3 285 5.26
DT Sione Fua, 6-2 306 5.16
FB Owen Marecic, 6-1 245 4.78
WR Ryan Whalen, 6-1 205 4.56
OT Derek Hall, 6-5 305 5.24
OG Andrew Phillips, 6-4 302 5.36

Virginia Tech:
QB Tyrod Taylor, 6-1 212 4.55
RB Ryan Williams, 5-10 205 4.46 * JR
FS Eddie Whitley, 6-1 195 4.45 * JR
TE Andre Smith, 6-4 272 4.80
CB Rashad Carmichael, 5-10 186 4.38
DT John Graves, 6-3 2784.90
DE/OLB Steven Friday, 6-4 250 4.66

T U E S D A Y, J A N U A R Y 4th

ALLSTATE SUGAR BOWL - #6 Ohio State vs. #8 Arkansas, 8:30 PM ET (ESPN)
Ohio State:
DE Cameron Heyward, 6-5 288 4.92
CB Chimdi Chekwa, 5-11 190 4.49
FS Jermale Hines, 6-1 216 4.59
OG Justin Boren, 6-3 320 5.24
OLB Ross Homan, 6-0 228 4.75
OG Bryant Browing, 6-3 315 5.42
RB Brandon Saine, 6-0 219 4.46
CB Devon Torrence, 6-0 200 4.53
WR Dane Sanzenbacher, 5-11 182 4.58
WR DeVier Posey, 6-2 213 4.52 * JR
QB Terrelle Pryor, 6-6 235 4.48 * JR

Arkansas:
QB Ryan Mallett, 6-6 238 5.18 * JR
TE D.J. Williams, 6-2 251 4.59
OT Demarcus Love, 6-5 315 5.18
ILB Jerry Franklin, 6-1 241 4.66 * JR

Great Job on this list man. I got to say that this has been my go to list for the whole bowl season. Thanks for the effort.
Share 49ersWebzone