There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

DeAndre Brown, 6-5 240 pound receiver, Declares for Draft

This was the young man who suffered the horrific broken leg in the R+L Carriers Bowl a couple years back.

http://www.sunherald.com/2010/12/30/2742446/brown-looks-into-nfl-future.html

Quote:
Southern Miss wide receiver DeAndre Brown has decided to make himself available for the NFL draft.

The Ocean Springs native made the decision on Thursday.

“I felt like it was time for me to enter the draft,” Brown said. “I did what I had to do at Southern Miss. It was in my best interest to move on.”

“DeAndre came by my office yesterday (Wednesday) and we talked for a long time,” Fedora said. “He has decided that declaring for draft is what he’s going to do. It’s a family decision. We laid out the pros and cons as best we could.”

Brown has sent his paperwork to the NFL’s advisory committee. The board, composed of scouting directors and team executives, will determine his draft status in a few days. Once Brown gets his evaluation from the committee, he has until Jan. 15 to put his name in the draft. Brown still has the option of returning to Southern Miss for a final season as long as he doesn’t sign with an agent.

However, Brown all but closed the door on a return to Southern Miss for the 2011 season.

“I am still waiting on feedback on where I will go in the draft,” Brown said. “Whether it is high or low, I will do what it takes to get there. I felt like I was ready to go to the NFL. Coach Fedora told me when (he recruited me) that with my talents, I would be gone after my junior year.

“When we met, he thought I was ready to go and that made my decision easier. Coach Fedora said he supported me. I am comfortable with my decision. I thought about it for a long time.

“I really think this decision will help me in the long run. It was my decision. Now it’s time to move forward. I have no regrets.”

The next step for Brown is to hire an agent and trainer to help prepare for pro workouts.

“I will now find a trainer and prepare myself for the combine,” Brown said. “I have a couple of agents in mind right now. A lot of agents are calling right now. It’s like another recruiting process. I’m ready to get started,’’

If the 2011 NFL Draft were held next week, Brown would be considered a mid-round prospect. But the wide receiver can easily improve his NFL stock with strong workouts before the April 22-24 draft.

A lower leg strain limited Brown to only six games this season, which the Golden Eagles (8-5) reached the Beef O’Brady Bowl and lost to Louisville 31-28. He caught 19 passes for 264 and scored three touchdowns.

He made a huge splash as a true freshman in 2008, catching a school-record 67 receptions for 1,117 yards and 12 TDs. Brown broke his leg against Troy in the 2008 New Orleans Bowl. Last year, Brown had 47 receptions for 785 yards and nine TDs.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 30, 2010 at 23:35:53 ]
We might want to pick him. I dunno, his stats kind of suck and he is a little injury prone but in the past he has produced and he has freakish potential. We'll just have to see. Could turn out to be a VJac or CJ type player though.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
We might want to pick him. I dunno, his stats kind of suck and he is a little injury prone but in the past he has produced and he has freakish potential. We'll just have to see. Could turn out to be a VJac or CJ type player though.

He is an intriguing prospect and would of course be a huge target in the redzone. I think if he can run a low 4.5 with his size, he can will go in the 3rd round. Anything less than that, I think he be in the 4th or 5th round because of his past injuries.
If he hadn't broken his leg, he'd probably be a 2nd-3rd rounder, but he hasn't been the same since then, so he's a 4th-5th I'd say, depending on workouts.
Correct me if I am wrong but this could be a hell of a WR class. If everyone declares it could be

AJ Green
Julio Jones
Justin Blackmon
Jon Baldwin
Michael Floyd
DeAndre Brown
Vincent Brown
Titus Young
Austin Pettis
Armon Binns
Terrance Toliver
Greg Little
Leonard Hankerson
Greg Childs
Ryan Broyles
Greg Salas

That is a hell of a lot of big WRs in that group. Makes me want to pick one in the first 3 rounds even though we have bigger needs.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 31, 2010 at 18:24:25 ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Correct me if I am wrong but this could be a hell of a WR class. If everyone declares it could be

AJ Green
Julio Jones
Justin Blackmon
Jon Baldwin
Michael Floyd
DeAndre Brown
Vincent Brown
Titus Young
Austin Pettis
Armon Binns
Terrance Toliver
Greg Little
Leonard Hankerson
Greg Childs
Ryan Broyles
Greg Salas

That is a hell of a lot of big WRs in that group. Makes me want to pick one in the first 3 rounds even though we have bigger needs.

A very solid WR class. Add Torrey Smith to the group, as well.

AJ Green
Julio Jones
Justin Blackmon
Jon Baldwin
Michael Floyd
DeAndre Brown
Vincent Brown
Titus Young
Austin Pettis
Armon Binns
Terrance Toliver
Greg Little
Leonard Hankerson
Greg Childs
Ryan Broyles
Greg Salas

I don't think Childs is gonna declare though. He has a knee injury and he can have a more productive year next year.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

I don't think Childs is gonna declare though. He has a knee injury and he can have a more productive year next year.

I was just saying if everyone declares but they won't. Even if they all don't that's a heck of a class. I would be tempted to take one of those guys in the first 3 rounds but we have so many needs.
i want him in the 5th round...would create several mismatches.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Could he be converted to a receiving tight end like Delanie Walker was?
Originally posted by communist:
i want him in the 5th round...would create several mismatches.

I think he would be a huge steal in the 5th round. Once we get rid of Sullivan (hopefully) our new WR coach can get him more polished but in the mean time, he can definitely be a mismatch in the redzone
Jeremy Kerley from TCU looks faster than anyone in the game. Don't know too much about him but he has the D Jackson, Mike Wallace speed. If you are not watching the Rose Bowl turn it on and look for 85 on TCU!!!!!
Originally posted by Dniner:
Jeremy Kerley from TCU looks faster than anyone in the game. Don't know too much about him but he has the D Jackson, Mike Wallace speed. If you are not watching the Rose Bowl turn it on and look for 85 on TCU!!!!!

Kerley is quick and has a bit of kick in acceleration, but I wouldn't call him anything like a D-Jax or Wallace Type. Jackson and Wallace have low 4.3 speed.

Kerley is expected to clock somewhere in the 4.5's

AJ Green
Julio Jones
Justin Blackmon
Jon Baldwin
Michael Floyd
DeAndre Brown
Vincent Brown
Titus Young
Austin Pettis
Armon Binns
Terrance Toliver
Greg Little
Leonard Hankerson
Greg Childs
Ryan Broyles
Greg Salas

I like Greg Salas in the 3rd round or so the kid plays the way I like a Wr plays the position. He goes up and gets the ball!
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

AJ Green
Julio Jones
Justin Blackmon
Jon Baldwin
Michael Floyd
DeAndre Brown
Vincent Brown
Titus Young
Austin Pettis
Armon Binns
Terrance Toliver
Greg Little
Leonard Hankerson
Greg Childs
Ryan Broyles
Greg Salas

I like Greg Salas in the 3rd round or so the kid plays the way I like a Wr plays the position. He goes up and gets the ball!

Much too early for Salas. Good WR, but about a late 4th-5th round grade, especially with the likely influx of underclassmen. Salas lacks elite speed, and will get docked some by scouts because of the system he's in which inflates WR numbers.