There are 281 users in the forums

OTC's Winter Wonderland Mock 2011

Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
substitute locker for mallett and we have a winner

I would probably prefer that personally. Whoever we pick, we need to do our homework. If they're not coachable enough to the point where we feel we can make them elite, then don't take them.
Nice work, OTC. Good target list for free agency and nice picks all the way through round 6. Especially like the mid round picks of Carmichael and Miller. Good value!
Great post! I appreciate your logic and explanations for your choices. I think Wisniewski and Ellis are excellent choices. I think Mankins can be had since NEngland drafts so well they can let him go. The QB situation will also largely depend on our new HC and if we'll return to the WCO. Who would be your next choices for QB other than Locker if we go to a WCO?

There hasn't been much to look forward to this season so the mocks provide a ray of sunshine. Thanks for the hard work.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Great post! I appreciate your logic and explanations for your choices. I think Wisniewski and Ellis are excellent choices. I think Mankins can be had since NEngland drafts so well they can let him go. The QB situation will also largely depend on our new HC and if we'll return to the WCO. Who would be your next choices for QB other than Locker if we go to a WCO?

There hasn't been much to look forward to this season so the mocks provide a ray of sunshine. Thanks for the hard work.

I appreciate it.

If we do go to a WCO, I think Blaine Gabbert is a good option if he enters. I'm waiting to see how Ponder does today in a big game against a top defense before I say I absolutely wouldn't want him. I think he has potential, but he's hurt so much and doesn't seem to stand out very much when he plays.

I like Stanzi as a developmental option. He's like a poor man's Rodgers, although much less polished than Aaron was coming out. Stanzi will need at least a year or two of refining, like Aaron needed. Another QB I love is Nevada's Kaepernick. A leader, huge athleticism, just tons of tools to work with. If you saw Joe Webb against Philly, that's basically how I see Kaepernick, except I think he'll obviously be much further along than Webb. People that say Kaeper is too lanky are being ridiculous. The guy is 6-5 225 pounds. That's NFL size. Kaeper had 20 passing TDs (only 7 INTs) and 20 rushing TDs this year, with over 1200 yards rushing and 2800+ yards passing.

So summing it up:
1. Gabbert
2. Stanzi
3. Kaepernick
My biggest concern with Locker is that he is more accurate on the move than inside the pocket. He tends to give up on a play if the WR/TE are covered. Then immediatley scrambles. Which isnt a bad thing..just in the NFL...one hit...all it takes.

When Smith was drafted, one HUGE thing said of him was he was an "Athletic Passer"...
I like...except I think he should find a way to get a dynamic player like Jernigan to really be the slot guy.

I think a QB depth chart of Kolb, Troy Smith, Jake Locker gives us 3 mobile, tough strong armed leader-types at the position. Good starter, perfect backup and developmental possible star.
I'd want mallet over locker
OTC, how high do you see CB being as a need?
Originally posted by Reckless:

It's one of our top 3 needs.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I'd say top 2...

Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

I'd say top 2...

Probably. QB, CB, OLB
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

I'd say top 2...

Probably. QB, CB, OLB

Thanks for all the work! Love looking ahead...tired of looking ahead, but...

Like your FA WRs. Need to light a fire under Crabtree and give him a route running vet to learn from, just as Bruce was a few years ago. Can't argue with your 3 needs either and haven't we seen OLB a few times lately? Perhaps it's time to really go after this position in a big way...with a first? And take a QB later?
Since I really dont know a lot about evaluating college players, and how they will do in the NFL, I say, I like it. LOL
2. Stefen Wisniewski-OC-Penn State, 6-3 306 5.16
Wisniewski, an All-American and the nephew of former NFL All-Pro lineman Steve Wisniewski, has easily been the best player on Penn State's offensive line. Stefen could go as high as the late 2nd, but if he falls here, it's virtually a no-brainer for San Francisco. Heitmann now has two broken legs and a neck injury on his record, and Baas has two horrific snaps (one for a safety) that should never, EVER happen for an NFL center. I do not expect either to return, especially not in a starting role. So we've got to fill that void. I would expect Wisniewski to immediately compete for a starting role with either Wragge (if brought back) or Snyder next season, and would likely win that job in training camp. Wisniewski, with an addition of a big-name FA such as Mankins, would help to solidify our line for years if Iupati builds on his early success and Davis improves upon his rookie year.

I thought it was Wragge that snapped the ball that caused the safety in the Rams game?
OTC, I like the mock overall.

Despite not completely wowing everyone in his final game as a Huskie, I thought Locker performed well against a very good, elite defense in Nebraska. We all saw that UW's receivers were getting manhandled by Prince and Dennard off the snap, so Sark's gameplan was obviously to run the ball with Polk. Locker also broke for some good runs and the one important thing is that he did not turn the ball over.

Something I notice about Locker is that he knows the talent around him aren't that great. This could be a reason as to why he usually makes that one read and decides to run. But I'll be very intrigued to see how he performs in the Senior Bowl once he's surrounded with better players.
Share 49ersWebzone