LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 317 users in the forums

OTC's Winter Wonderland Mock 2011

I don't think we are going to take any Oline this draft.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

I think we will take at least one lineman -- probably a guy that can play center. Why? Because we have no one other than Snyder who won't be a FA, Terrible at C, or Injury prone.

Baas - Terribly inconsistent.
Heitmann - As noted, two broken legs and a neck injury to his record here.
Wragge - Will be a FA after this year. Was tendered last off-season.

We should get OL in some fashion, whether FA or the draft. We need a guard and a center.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I think we will take at least one lineman -- probably a guy that can play center. Why? Because we have no one other than Snyder who won't be a FA, Terrible at C, or Injury prone.

We should get OL in some fashion, whether FA or the draft. We need a guard and a center.

Niners were said to be highly interested in re-signing Baas. Heitmann's still cheap, versatile, and can play the game. I don't know.... just get the feelng that OL will be a lower priority this offseason... that better coaching and scheme will give way to better OL play from our current bunch.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Niners were said to be highly interested in re-signing Baas. Heitmann's still cheap, versatile, and can play the game. I don't know.... just get the feelng that OL will be a lower priority this offseason... that better coaching and scheme will give way to better OL play from our current bunch.

That was a while ago I thought -- before the barrage of terribly below average average play and the injuries (how many concussions, etc. now?). I don't know.. I'm just not sold on this bunch, and I don't think we should be either. I don't think we should be content to go in with mediocre players that I can't see getting any better.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 30, 2010 at 20:11:08 ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
OTC - I think your head is in the right direction for the mock, but free agency signings will dictate our draft. If we land Orton as our QB, then I don't think we'll target a QB early on in the 2011 draft. I think we'd take a hard look at the mid-round prospects of Stanzi, Ponder, or Tolzien.

And besides Matt Roth, I don't see how we wouldn't take a pass rushing prospect early on - especially if Manny Lawson walks.

I really like your late round selections though. Potential starters and great ST/depth players.
Originally posted by GEEK:
OTC - I think your head is in the right direction for the mock, but free agency signings will dictate our draft. If we land Orton as our QB, then I don't think we'll target a QB early on in the 2011 draft. I think we'd take a hard look at the mid-round prospects of Stanzi, Ponder, or Tolzien.

And besides Matt Roth, I don't see how we wouldn't take a pass rushing prospect early on - especially if Manny Lawson walks.

I really like your late round selections though. Potential starters and great ST/depth players.

If there is no CBA in place there is no Free Agency. There will be a draft. But no FA. So if there is no FA, we take a QB.

besides Orton isnt even a free agent. why is everyone targeting him? Doubt that Denver lets him go. They need a vet there for Tebow.
Originally posted by GEEK:

You're correct, FA will be monumental in determining what our draft will look like. Early on, all I or anyone else can do is just speculate. Once March rolls around, you'll see these mocks of mine evolve into something much closer to what we can expect.

I think you're right about the pass-rusher, but mainly if we don't keep Lawson. I think we'll try to keep Lawson. If we don't, we're definitely going to look at one at some point.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Picks I like are Carmichael and Havili. The rest, I would try to like.
I don't like taking the risk with a QB that high, especially with a guy like Jake Locker. We can't afford to miss with such a high pick. I say we target a veteran QB (Kyle Orton... Carson Palmer?) then draft a QB in the 2nd-3rd round to develop.

I would select a CB or a pass rushing OLB or DE (depending on the scheme we use) in the 1st round.

[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 30, 2010 at 23:50:50 ]
Originally posted by PTulini:
I don't like taking the risk with a QB that high, especially with a guy like Jake Locker. We can't afford to miss with such a high pick. I say we target a veteran QB (Kyle Orton... Carson Palmer?) then draft a QB in the 2nd-3rd round to develop.

I would select a CB or a pass rushing OLB or DE (depending on the scheme we use) in the 1st round.

Not really sure why I was thinking we were picking around the 20's in the first. I've got to revise this. Locker should go in the 15-30 range, but not top 12. Although you never know...

Tonight was the worst I've ever seen Locker play (throwing the ball). Could be because I have not followed Locker week-to-week, locked on to his every move. As exciting as Washington might be, I do not watch every single game of theirs.. Too many other important prospects to view.

I think it's time to sit pat and wait for the GM / Coach search to conclude before making another mock. By that time, our draft position will be known as well.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 31, 2010 at 00:27:18 ]

Not really sure why I was thinking we were picking around the 20's in the first. I've got to revise this. Locker should go in the 15-30 range, but not top 12. Although you never know...

Tonight was the worst I've ever seen Locker play (throwing the ball). Could be because I have not followed Locker week-to-week, locked on to his every move. As exciting as Washington might be, I do not watch every single game of theirs.. Too many other important prospects to view.

I think it's time to sit pat and wait for the GM / Coach search to conclude before making another mock. By that time, our draft position will be known as well.

Right now, (before Week 17) the 49ers are in position to have the #6 overall draft pick.

Right now, (before Week 17) the 49ers are in position to have the #6 overall draft pick.

If we want a shot at the #2 pick, we should start Carr and run Norris every play.

If we want a shot at the #2 pick, we should start Carr and run Norris every play.

1. Jake Locker-QB-Washington, 6-3 230 4.53
Don't get angry at me -- I'm only mocking out what I think WE could expect as a possible selection here in San Fran. Scouts compare Locker to a young Steve Young; an extremely athletic QB who just needs time to develop. Locker comes from a pro-style system and is a physical freak. Locker received little to nothing in terms of help from the players around him. His line let him get the crap beat out of him, and receivers dropped nearly everything thrown their way no matter how perfect the passes were. .... Now.. Locker DOES NEED WORK, BUT.. The whole reason we have coaches in the NFL is to mold, develop, correct, instruct and get the most out of their players. Locker has massive amounts of talent and potential, that is absolutely undeniable, but just needs someone to help groom him into the star he could be. Look at Tebow, people were screaming "Oh he's just an H-back in the NFL, his throwing motion is this, he can't throw, yadda yadda..." -- And look at him now -- with time to learn, he's refined himself, fixed his issues, and is playing pretty darn well for a dang rookie. The point is.. don't give up on a guy before he even has a chance for NFL coaches to work on him. There have been plenty of unpolished players -- Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler, Eli Manning, Josh Freeman (he was VERY raw), and Ryan Fitzpatrick to name a few -- who with work have turned into franchise QB's. I know some people will scream profanities, go into virtual cardiac arrest, or turn away in disgust at the thought of snagging Locker, but I'm asking you to refrain, because of the many reasons I just listed.

I would say that Locker projects closer to Alex Smith than he does to Steve Young. The only similarity is their running ability. Steve young completed 70% of his passes his senior year. In Lockers best year he couldn't even complete 60% of his passes. No thanks! I'd rather take a shot at Newton if we go that direction in the draft.
substitute locker for mallett and we have a winner
Share 49ersWebzone