There are 177 users in the forums

the case for jake locker

Originally posted by jojomellon:
Originally posted by hofer36:
this is imo niners best option after luck...he has prototypicasl size, is athletic, which niners could use given their inability to pass block, he has the arm to make all the throws, he has experience in a pro set, and a good teacher in sarkisian...

he showed good values in coming back to washington than going for the bucks last year, where he was rated right with sam bradford as a prospect....

he has beaten usc twice, inlcuding nice comeback this year..and was big vs notre dame in 2009, almost leading his team back to beat the irish...he hasnt had the best surrounding cast up in seattle either
How come he sucked so bad this year? Alot of the superlatives you use to sell him could be used for any high end college QB. I should hope football players have prototypical size and athleticism and a good arm. The guy was 4/20 against Nebraska. Do you know the stats behind college QBs who dont complete 60% of their passes and how it correlates to their success in the NFL? Ill give you a hint, the only one to do it and not become a bust was michael vick. Yes.

10/21 for 68 yds, against the 85th ranked defense in UCLA.

cause vick runnings like a rb! But has a rocket also attached to his arm!!!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
He has to have the right coach. Without a year to watch and grow and without the right coach, Locker will tank in the NFL. The wrong situation could ruin him.

Dingletary = wrong situation (now gone).

NoWin = wrong situation (long gone).

Harbaugh = right situation. He can turn Locker into a great player. Will we land Harbaugh?

This is what I said way back when. And I stand by it. With Harbaugh he can be good.
He has to have the right coach. Without a year to watch and grow and without the right coach, Locker will tank in the NFL. The wrong situation could ruin him.

Harbaugh = right situation. He can turn Locker into a great player. Will we land Harbaugh?

This is what I said way back when. And I stand by it. With Harbaugh he can be good.

Agree. I watched his game vs USC again on espn classic a few days ago and he absolutely dismantled them.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Agree. I watched his game vs USC again on espn classic a few days ago and he absolutely dismantled them.

Totally. He has all the tools. He just needs a guy like Harbaugh to put it all together for him. And Harbaugh is capable of that. Dingleberry would absolutely ruin him as would NoWin.

Totally. He has all the tools. He just needs a guy like Harbaugh to put it all together for him. And Harbaugh is capable of that. Dingleberry would absolutely ruin him as would NoWin.

As much as I talk s**t about Locker, I totally agree with this. He does have all the tools, it seems to be a matter of learning with him. Harbaugh should be the type of teacher that can do it.

Just as long as Locker isn't taken in the 1st round.
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:

As much as I talk s**t about Locker, I totally agree with this. He does have all the tools, it seems to be a matter of learning with him. Harbaugh should be the type of teacher that can do it.

Just as long as Locker isn't taken in the 1st round.

if Harbaugh says he's the guy then ill be very happy. locker has everything that walsh used to look for in a qb ( good footwork, mental strength, ability to make all the throws, athletic instincts, smart). also played from under center a fair bit
[ Edited by fandownunder5 on Jan 14, 2011 at 2:52 AM ]
Here are Locker's stats from his best year (2009) first year under steve sarkisian.

in his first season in Sarkisian's offense, Locker thrived, throwing for 2,800 yards and 21 touchdowns, completing 58% of his throws. The 2,800 yards passing is the third-highest total in Washington history and the TD throws were fourth best at a school with a tradition of producing NFL quarterbacks.

Those aren't amazing numbers. Most notably his 58% completion rate. Alex Smith completes around that number.

in 2010 his numbers in almost all categories dropped. Locker completed 55% of his passes. Thew for 17 TDs (21 in '09) and threw for about 600 less yards.

Where a guy like Cam Newton, who I would say is not known for his passing threw for over 70% of his passes and 30 TDs. Newton is a spread QB, but still impressive numbers.

I don't think there is any chance Locker goes in round 1.
Originally posted by ninerbrand:
Here are Locker's stats from his best year (2009) first year under steve sarkisian.

in his first season in Sarkisian's offense, Locker thrived, throwing for 2,800 yards and 21 touchdowns, completing 58% of his throws. The 2,800 yards passing is the third-highest total in Washington history and the TD throws were fourth best at a school with a tradition of producing NFL quarterbacks.

Those aren't amazing numbers. Most notably his 58% completion rate. Alex Smith completes around that number.

in 2010 his numbers in almost all categories dropped. Locker completed 55% of his passes. Thew for 17 TDs (21 in '09) and threw for about 600 less yards.

Where a guy like Cam Newton, who I would say is not known for his passing threw for over 70% of his passes and 30 TDs. Newton is a spread QB, but still impressive numbers.

Then I would love to see us take him in round 2 because he definitely has talent, just not enough of a sure thing to pass on Amukamara or other first round talents. But Locker definitely has the talent, I know the guys at SI compared him to Alex Smith but there are a few key differences. Both were good athletes, but Locker is willing to use his athleticism and make plays with his feet. And 2 Locker is a better leader than Alex, who was a great team player but didn't appear to take charge or inspire confidence in his teammates. 3. Locker didn't need a whole season to learn Sarkisian's offense, he put up his best numbers in the first year of the system, so he is a faster learner.

Plus they played in different offenses so you can't compare the numbers. I'm not real high on either guy but my guess is if Locker had Darvin Adams at WR and Michael Dyer in the backfield and Malzahn at OC than he would've had better numbers. He played on a team that had recievers with stonehands and he was dropping back from under the center quite a bit. A lot of Newton's throws were from the shotgun and throwing bubble screens. Locker was throwing balls into tighter windows most of the time and attempting tougher passes for the most part.

Then I would love to see us take him in round 2 because he definitely has talent, just not enough of a sure thing to pass on Amukamara or other first round talents. But Locker definitely has the talent, I know the guys at SI compared him to Alex Smith but there are a few key differences. Both were good athletes, but Locker is willing to use his athleticism and make plays with his feet. And 2 Locker is a better leader than Alex, who was a great team player but didn't appear to take charge or inspire confidence in his teammates. 3. Locker didn't need a whole season to learn Sarkisian's offense, he put up his best numbers in the first year of the system, so he is a faster learner.

Plus they played in different offenses so you can't compare the numbers. I'm not real high on either guy but my guess is if Locker had Darvin Adams at WR and Michael Dyer in the backfield and Malzahn at OC than he would've had better numbers. He played on a team that had recievers with stonehands and he was dropping back from under the center quite a bit. A lot of Newton's throws were from the shotgun and throwing bubble screens. Locker was throwing balls into tighter windows most of the time and attempting tougher passes for the most part.

I AGREE 100% ^^^

I think he will slip to round 2. (hopefully) but I don't think teams will reach for locker in round 1.

I hope we go CB in round 1 like you said, if Locker is there in Round 2. Go for it.

WR in round 3 (they might go DE here)

I heard Baalke talking about how last year was more of an offensive draft, so they may go D here.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think Locker is the perfect WCO quarterback. He's just needs to have some talent around him.

Originally posted by mayo49:
I think Locker is the perfect WCO quarterback. He's just needs to have some talent around him.

Perfect WCO QB @ 55% Completion Percentage.

yeah... about that.

I AGREE 100% ^^^

I think he will slip to round 2. (hopefully) but I don't think teams will reach for locker in round 1.

I hope we go CB in round 1 like you said, if Locker is there in Round 2. Go for it.

WR in round 3 (they might go DE here)

I heard Baalke talking about how last year was more of an offensive draft, so they may go D here.

Yeah that would be kind of my dream draft, Amukamara in the 1st and Locker in the 2nd with a DLineman or a OLB in the 3rd. We'll have to see though, things change after the combine and senior bowl. After Locker's season he really shouldn't be a first rounder, but if people see him run a good 40 yard dash and if he plays well in the senior bowl his stock could atleast be a late first. But he could be really good, or not that great. But my guess is if Harbaugh likes him enough to take him, he would be able to mold him into a really good QB.

yeah... about that.

Joe Montana had 52% at Notre Dame
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

yeah... about that.

Yeah, that makes sense because Jake Locker = Joe Montana, give me a break.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

yeah... about that.

Yeah, that makes sense because Jake Locker = Joe Montana, give me a break.

Don't think he was saying that - just that college completion percentage often doesn't mean a hell of a lot.

Joe's completion % broken down per year:
1975: 42%, 1976: 52%, 1978: 54%

Although it still put a lot of teams off, forcing him to slip into the 3rd round.
[ Edited by DraftaQB on Jan 14, 2011 at 7:06 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone