There are 176 users in the forums

the case for jake locker

Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
All i'm seeing is excuses to why Locker is good, even though he isn't playing well... As Niner fans, I'm surprised to see everyone making excuses because that is what we have all been doing for the past 5 years for our other 1st round pick at QB.

I dono about you but i'm done with all the excuses. NO to Locker

Excuses are tools of the incompetent that build monuments of nothingness and those that use them seldom amount to anything and never become great QB's.

The consensus is that he will be drafted based on potential and as a backup for probably 2 to 3 seasons behind a vet qb...definitely not what the 9ers want or need
All i'm seeing is excuses to why Locker is good, even though he isn't playing well... As Niner fans, I'm surprised to see everyone making excuses because that is what we have all been doing for the past 5 years for our other 1st round pick at QB.

Excuses are tools of the incompetent that build monuments of nothingness and those that use them seldom amount to anything and never become great QB's.

Jay Cutler. At Vandy people used the exact same excuse when he wouldn't win or didn't put up heisman numbers. John Lynch has said, "If this guy can take a bunch of future doctors and lawyers and have them competing against the Florida Gators, this guy is a stud".

Same can be said for Locker competing against USC, on an otherwise unspectacular UW team.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Jay Cutler. At Vandy people used the exact same excuse when he wouldn't win or didn't put up heisman numbers. John Lynch has said, "If this guy can take a bunch of future doctors and lawyers and have them competing against the Florida Gators, this guy is a stud".

Same can be said for Locker competing against USC, on an otherwise unspectacular UW team.
Cutler had a first round LT and third round WR at Vanderbilt.
Originally posted by jojomellon:

Vandy went 11-35 during Cutler's tenure there. So what, exactly, is your point? Not like they had a great team despite those NFL prospects. In college, Cutler's statistics also regressed his final year there, as his completion percentage, yds/attempt, and rating all went down.

My point is that like Cutler, Locker doesn't have the best team. Therefore it isn't surprising his numbers aren't stellar and his team not a juggernaut.
Originally posted by boriken_9er:

The consensus is that he will be drafted based on potential and as a backup for probably 2 to 3 seasons behind a vet qb...definitely not what the 9ers want or need
i dont think that he has to sit for 2 or even 3 seasons...
Locker doesn't seem to be able to pass the ball very well. Yes, he's big, athletic, big arm and all that; he just can't play the position. He's not accurate enough.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by ea_thegreat:
He sucks. He hasn't improved and is no better than Alex Smith.

Anyone is better than Alex Smith.

only if he boned your sister.

ok. That didn't make much sense.
Hopefully we can put some of this Locker talk to rest. He has skills, but he's not able to translate it into production, not yet atleast. Why would anyone want that guy to be our early 1st round pick and the face of our franchise?

If he played on the east coast he wouldn't even get mentioned on this board. The Cutler comparisons are also way off. No one ever questioned Cutler's arm. With Locker, he desperately needs to prove that he can be an effective passer. He should be compared to the mobile QBs, not the passers.

Vandy went 11-35 during Cutler's tenure there. So what, exactly, is your point? Not like they had a great team despite those NFL prospects. In college, Cutler's statistics also regressed his final year there, as his completion percentage, yds/attempt, and rating all went down.

My point is that like Cutler, Locker doesn't have the best team. Therefore it isn't surprising his numbers aren't stellar and his team not a juggernaut.

Cutler isn't even good. Hes ok - passer rating is around 85. Alex Smith was 80 the last couple years, and on an actually good team like the Bears he would be at least that level.

I don't really have a point except that I would rather have a winner at QB. And Locker/Cutler aren't those guys.
When is this case going to close?

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Not for a long time. There are still Colt Brennan fanboys who think hes the next great QB if just given a chance....
I was at the Holiday Bowl sitting on the 20 yard line on the Washington side and from what I saw Locker didn't even look at Amukamara's way at all the whole night when he tried to throw the ball! I was very unimpressed by Locker. For the most of the night though Nebraska's corners had the receivers covered pretty well. I felt at times when he had receivers open he tucked and ran the ball instead.Locker had 3 pass completions at halftime if I remember correctly. I am gonna stand by initial judgement of him and say I wouldn't touch him before the 3rd round. Some team is gonna overdraft Locker and take him in the first round because of his POTENTIAL. He is definitely a project not what the 49ers need.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Not for a long time. There are still Colt Brennan fanboys who think hes the next great QB if just given a chance....

Wow a Colt Brennan shot. The guy was just in a serious accident, I doubt he'll play in the NFL again.
Originally posted by E-49er:
I was at the Holiday Bowl sitting on the 20 yard line on the Washington side and from what I saw Locker didn't even look at Amukamara's way at all the whole night when he tried to throw the ball! I was very unimpressed by Locker. For the most of the night though Nebraska's corners had the receivers covered pretty well. I felt at times when he had receivers open he tucked and ran the ball instead.Locker had 3 pass completions at halftime if I remember correctly. I am gonna stand by initial judgement of him and say I wouldn't touch him before the 3rd round. Some team is gonna overdraft Locker and take him in the first round because of his POTENTIAL. He is definitely a project not what the 49ers need.

he didnt get his 1st completion till the 3rd quarter. lol

How exactly does Locker compare to Brennan?

Worst comparison ever. Brennan was a product of a system and had godly passing numbers.
Share 49ersWebzone