LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 399 users in the forums

the case for jake locker

Originally posted by Kolohe:
You know when the critics got down on Tebow for saying hes not a passer he showed them up with a 400+ yard game in his last college career game. Tebow didn't have the advantage of having a Pro system installed in college and teaches him to drop back from under center. Locker has had the benefit and showed he is not cut out for it, by regressing in his Senior year. The only time he has shined was when Washington went back to the Spread option. In the end, I think it would be a big risk to pick him up, I'd rather just go with Pat Devlin or Blaine Gabbert or hell, just stay with Alex Smith (And I'd rather move on from Smith). And I can't believe there was such a Locker vs. Luck thread.

Exactly. I thought i was supposed to be seeing a guy who have been in a pro offense getting ready for the NFL transition. he looked more like a red shirt freshman that didn't trust his arm or his knowledge of the offense. so he just say i'm running when I get the snap.
My argument here is, its a QB's job his his talents and leadership to elevate everyone around him. Locker has the benefit of Chris Polk, a talented RB who has had back 2 back 1200 yard rushing seasons. With a good running game, it should open up the passing. But he is inaccurate allot of the time.

Now again the argument here is that his receivers are trash. Well look at what Sam Bradford has done. His receivers are trash....yet he gets the job done, because he puts the ball to where the receivers can make a play. His first instinct is to tuck and run when the first option is not available. He is in a pro style offense. With all of his talents, it is up to him to show alot better at the collegiate level. He has not, for the most part.

He could have taken the money and ran with it last year, but his goal was to take UW to abowl and win, and get better. He got a bowl win, and congrats to him, that means allot. But he has not progressed as every everyone would have hoped for.

Now if we dont take a QB in the 1st....and he is there at the end of the 1st or early second....I think that we could take a flier on him and let him sit and learn. But I wouldnt spend a top 10 pick on him.

Again, I really want to see what he can do in the Senior Bowl. Because last night, he didnt throw the ball around like we all wanted to see.
  • titan
  • Veteran
I would rather stay with Alex Smith! Locker seems like a standup guy and a leader for the Washington program, but he is way behind in the QB curve. NFL coaches try to adjust young QB's throwing motion,temperment, footwork,aggressiveness, accuracy and decision making,but with Locker it would take several seasons to prepare him. He couldn't even sell his play action the defense saw it coming and when they do bite he doesn't look up to pass, he scrambles to run. He is very stiff at the QB position. I'm not talking mobility, he is a very mobile QB! He doesn't appear to be a natural at the QB spot. In my opinion he plays more like a WR the way he runs the football. Maybe if QB doesn't work out for him he can be the next Hines Ward.
are we still talking about top10??? i thought that this talk is over???

i just dont get the comparison to bradford...the washington receivers were more out of bounds than on the field yesterday...what are u expect??? i dont know...the "you can throw your receivers open"-phenomenon is not unlimited. if your receivers cant play the game, you wont open anything.
the gameplan surely didnt tell "make the same mistakes like in september..."

a lot of you will hate him much more, if he failes at senior bowl...but then we could get him in the 2nd round, where i would wait

[ Edited by communist on Dec 31, 2010 at 10:59:51 ]
This sums up very well what some of you anti-Locker guys can't seem to understand
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I think there was an article out lately that said only two quarterbacks that have been drafted in the 2nd round have ever started and they are Drew Brees and Jimmy Clausen. So if you think he is a 2nd round pick then you really don't want this team drafting him.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by spizzy:
This sums up very well what some of you anti-Locker guys can't seem to understand

I've seen all but one of Jake Locker's games, and I haven't given up stock on him yet. I think his ball placement has been fine. By my count, Husky receivers have dropped 41 catchable passes (eg: hit in hands). By comparison, I've seen all of Andrew Luck, and Stanford receivers have dropped 17 passes by my count. If you drop Locker's totals to 20, his completion percentage going into the Holiday Bowl would be over 60%.

Stopped reading after that.

[ Edited by Jcool on Dec 31, 2010 at 11:13:32 ]
Originally posted by communist:

i just dont get the comparison to bradford...the washington receivers were more out of bounds than on the field yesterday...what are u expect??? i dont know...the "you can throw your receivers open"-phenomenon is not unlimited. if your receivers cant play the game, you wont open anything.

a lot of you will hate him much more, if he failes at senior bowl...but then we could get him in the 2nd round, where i would wait

There is no comparison to Bradford....I was comparing Bradford's talent at WR....I understand it the pros, but St Loius has a rag tag bunch of receivers. Bradford puts the ball to where his receivers can make a play. At the college level Locker hasnt really had theat type of accuracy. Thats all.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by communist:

There is no comparison to Bradford....I was comparing Bradford's talent at WR....I understand it the pros, but St Loius has a rag tag bunch of receivers. Bradford puts the ball to where his receivers can make a play. At the college level Locker hasnt really had theat type of accuracy. Thats all.
could anyone upload the game or cut the passing plays out and up them? i wanna whether there was any room to fool the CBs...

[ Edited by communist on Dec 31, 2010 at 12:25:01 ]
guys, i wish you a happy new year...it's 10 pm here and i have to go.

Originally posted by spizzy:

It seems like all of the pro-Locker guys are trying to make the Nebraska defense out to be the best defense college football has ever seen. Their great and a top 5 defense but the are not more dominant that most NFL defenses. The problem is Locker only threw for 56 yards and completed less than a third of his passes on a neutral field while the huskers had to game plan for the threat of him running the ball and them having a very productive day running the ball. Yet somehow, Landry Jones goes to Nebraska and torches them for 342 yds with his leading rusher only gaining 68 yds and with no threat of the QB sneak.

When you need to take away drops to get a QBs comp % over 60 in a weak defensive Pac 10 then he should not be drafted in the top 10 of the NFL draft. BTW, that catchable ball stat misleading. Look no further than Alex Smith. How many of his passes were touched by the receivers and then dropped. "Part" of the reason passes are dropped are because of bad placement and/or throwing into coverage. Technically WRs could have made an amazing Cris Carter type catch and come down with and overthrown/underthrown ball or one too close to the sideline or they could somehow hold on to the ball while getting drilled by a LB or a S, but "most" of the time the drops are on the QB as well.

All this being said I hope and pray that we don't take Locker. I would be willing to bet that he won't be successful as a QB in the NFL and I am just as willing to admit I am wrong if he does succeed on another team.
Hasn't Locker been playing with a broken rib since around Week 6? I'd imagine that couldn't have helped his performance this year.
All i'm seeing is excuses to why Locker is good, even though he isn't playing well... As Niner fans, I'm surprised to see everyone making excuses because that is what we have all been doing for the past 5 years for our other 1st round pick at QB.

I dono about you but i'm done with all the excuses. NO to Locker
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
All i'm seeing is excuses to why Locker is good, even though he isn't playing well... As Niner fans, I'm surprised to see everyone making excuses because that is what we have all been doing for the past 5 years for our other 1st round pick at QB.

Excuses are tools of the incompetent that build monuments of nothingness and those that use them seldom amount to anything and never become great QB's.
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

Excuses are tools of the incompetent that build monuments of nothingness and those that use them seldom amount to anything and never become great QB's.

Words of wisdom
Share 49ersWebzone