There are 271 users in the forums

the case for jake locker

Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by ea_thegreat:
He sucks. He hasn't improved and is no better than Alex Smith.

Anyone is better than Alex Smith.

only if he boned your sister.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ea_thegreat:
He sucks. He hasn't improved and is no better than Alex Smith.

I actually think Alex might be better.
I don't think you could learn anything new about Locker in the game yesterday. His receivers were crap and i didn't see a receiver open all game. If you wan't him to take opportunities, how do you think Locker can trust these guys ? If i had the chance to run or a 1st down or try a pass to one of those guys against two of the best cbs in tight coverage i would run, too.
I think the game showed, that Locker can learn from mistakes (he managed the game and did not try to force things like in the first game), that he is really good with his legs and that he still has accuracy issues. I still think with a good coach, he can be a very good qb in the nfl, but he still has some things to learn.
Solid arm. Very good runner. Tough. Has that 'it' factor Alex has never, ever demonstrated. I'm aboard this train, especially once we land an offensive minded coach.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'd take Locker in the 2nd/3rd, but not the 1st.

This. The only way I would take him in the 1st is if we traded back and collected more picks, other than that, draft a game changing position (CB, pass rushing DE/OLB, WR) and take him in the 2nd
I think I just threw up in my mouth....are you guys f**ken serious! So everything is the WR's fault or the Olines fault?? Hmmm...where have I heard this before...lol...5-16, 56 yrds against NFL talent. 4 games this year where he's thrown for under 100 yrds...under 58 completion % for his career. But people Think somehow he's going to be better in the NFL.

[ Edited by Ninerbowl6 on Dec 31, 2010 at 09:09:08 ]
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
I think I just threw up in my mouth....are you guys f**ken serious! So everything is the WR's fault or the Olines fault?? Hmmm...where have I heard this before...lol...5-16, 56 yrds against NFL talent. 4 games this year where he's thrown for under 100 yrds...under 58 completion % for his career. But people somehow he's going to be better in the NFL.

I don't like his stats one bit either. He is playing on a crappy Washington team to some of his credit. I agree with some that say a late first round pick (by trading back) or second round may be a better option.
I think I just threw up in my mouth....are you guys f**ken serious! So everything is the WR's fault or the Olines fault?? Hmmm...where have I heard this before...lol...5-16, 56 yrds against NFL talent. 4 games this year where he's thrown for under 100 yrds...under 58 completion % for his career. But people somehow he's going to be better in the NFL.

Sorry, but playing with below average college players in his offense against NFL talent on defense isn't really a fair comparison. Don't use the stat sheet on this game, watch it and you will see what we are talking about.
draft prince or peterson with our top ten pick, trade back up into the first round if locker drops into the 20's and grab locker
As a qb he looked below average. I think i only seen 1 good pass the whole game. As a running back he looked great.

• RKab
  • Veteran
Locker looks like a rather large risk at this point. He has the tools but you have to questions about the guy looking at his performance.

Can anyone think of a similar QB prospect who didn't perform on the field but was still taken in the first round because of his potential? There may be examples, but I think QB is a position, unlike others where you can't get away with just potential and have to perform on the field.

Maybe Senior Bowl will be a help, but I didn't have any warm fuzzies watching this guy. Maybe a Morninhweg can take him under his wing and develop him in 2 years or so like he did with Vick. I can't see taking an early first round pick on this guy at all though.

[ Edited by RKab on Dec 31, 2010 at 08:48:58 ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
You know when the critics got down on Tebow for saying hes not a passer he showed them up with a 400+ yard game in his last college career game. Tebow didn't have the advantage of having a Pro system installed in college and teaches him to drop back from under center. Locker has had the benefit and showed he is not cut out for it, by regressing in his Senior year. The only time he has shined was when Washington went back to the Spread option. In the end, I think it would be a big risk to pick him up, I'd rather just go with Pat Devlin or Blaine Gabbert or hell, just stay with Alex Smith (And I'd rather move on from Smith). And I can't believe there was such a Locker vs. Luck thread.
Originally posted by stever:

Sorry, but playing with below average college players in his offense against NFL talent on defense isn't really a fair comparison. Don't use the stat sheet on this game, watch it and you will see what we are talking about.

I watched the game...I even taped it. I'm not saying I expect a college QB to be a finished product by any means, but I would like to see the ability to make accurate NFL throws...he has not shown that at all. Gabbert is not surrounded by talented players either but he can make all of the throws. What about a QB's ability to elevate the players around him?? Are we really in an position to take a project, who's weakness is being able to throw the football??
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by stever:

I watched the game...I even taped it. I'm not saying I expect a college QB to be a finished product by any means, but I would like to see the ability to make accurate NFL throws...he has not shown that at all. Gabbert is not surrounded by talented players either but he can make all of the throws. What about a QB's ability to elevate the players around him?? Are we really in an position to take a project, who's weakness is being able to throw the football??

I can't think of a QB who's had just as hard of a time passing the ball and going through his progression as much as Locker has and actually did something in the Pro's???

And I think the talent excuse should be thrown out the window, he had receivers open last night, but chose to tuck and run instead. And this is a guy who's had the opportunity to learn a Pro Style offense for two years now.

I very much fear this would be Alex Smith trouble all over again.
no thanks
Share 49ersWebzone