LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

the case for jake locker

Originally posted by jojomellon:
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by spizzy:
Idk how Colt McCoy came up but yes, he was a noode-armed checkdown machine whose offensive created a lot of opportunities for YAC and big plays which masked his lack of a deep ball in the high YPA stats

Checking down a quick strike short passing game,. Checking the ball down is throwing it to your back out of the backfield or your TE springing lose after a block after your QB cant/doesnt want to throw to a WR. See Smith, Alex. Do you not know the difference?

What is an 'offensive'?

So defenses just never caught on to the fact that McCoy wasnt going deep? How did Texas do this year with the strong armed, number 1 HS qb in the nation, stepping in for noodle arm? Surely they probably finished much better than they ever did with Colt, right?

1) I know the difference, but either way a short passing game kind of proves my point

2) Sorry about the spelling mistake, and that you had a bad day and decided to lash out on the internet lol

3) I never said McCoy was a bad player, just that he had a weak arm with inflated stats

you say inflated stats because he hit the short passing game and they made something happen? Wouldn't ANY GREAT QB have inflated stats then because they will put the pull on the Receiver IN STRIDE to allow him to pick up YAC so the "inflated stats" can go both ways
**cough cough**joemontana**cough cough**WCO**cough cough
Haha, you're right. People are just grasping to anything to avoid admitting being wrong.

F those noodle arm guys, I want a dude with a rocket for an arm like Derek Anderson and Jake Locker and Ryan Leaf.

hahaha, I'm not saying I don't want a QB that can make the 70 yard explosive play down the field but if you have accuracy, big plays CAN and WILL happen. Each Receiver/RB on that field is capable of doing damage with the football in their hands (hence why they are in the NFL playing a skill position) but if your QB is not giving them an opportunity (cough cough ALex cough cough) by hitting them IN STRIDE, you, as a QB, are single handily holding them back. Just my opinion
Idk how Colt McCoy came up but yes, he was a noode-armed checkdown machine whose offensive created a lot of opportunities for YAC and big plays which masked his lack of a deep ball in the high YPA stats

Checking down a quick strike short passing game,. Checking the ball down is throwing it to your back out of the backfield or your TE springing lose after a block after your QB cant/doesnt want to throw to a WR. See Smith, Alex. Do you not know the difference?

What is an 'offensive'?

So defenses just never caught on to the fact that McCoy wasnt going deep? How did Texas do this year with the strong armed, number 1 HS qb in the nation, stepping in for noodle arm? Surely they probably finished much better than they ever did with Colt, right?

1) I know the difference, but either way a short passing game kind of proves my point

2) Sorry about the spelling mistake, and that you had a bad day and decided to lash out on the internet lol

3) I never said McCoy was a bad player, just that he had a weak arm with inflated stats

you say inflated stats because he hit the short passing game and they made something happen? Wouldn't ANY GREAT QB have inflated stats then because they will put the pull on the Receiver IN STRIDE to allow him to pick up YAC so the "inflated stats" can go both ways

see: Colt Brennan

you serious? you tell me to "see' Colt Brennan, a guy who threw the ball 50 times a game and played against ZERO talent in comparison to Mccoy who made plays in a tougher conference and was the winningest college QB?? Of course being an SEC guy, I knew Alabama's defense would feast on the Longhorns but he didn't play in that game since he was hurt on the opening drive. Mccoy has even jumped into the NFL on the sorry a$$ Browns and have made some plays with his legs and arm and helped pick up some wins AGAINST GOOD TEAMS, something we havent seen from our #1 QB in 6 years

What is an 'offensive'?

you serious? you tell me to "see' Colt Brennan, a guy who threw the ball 50 times a game and played against ZERO talent in comparison to Mccoy who made plays in a tougher conference and was the winningest college QB?? Of course being an SEC guy, I knew Alabama's defense would feast on the Longhorns but he didn't play in that game since he was hurt on the opening drive. Mccoy has even jumped into the NFL on the sorry a$$ Browns and have made some plays with his legs and arm and helped pick up some wins AGAINST GOOD TEAMS, something we havent seen from our #1 QB in 6 years

I mean, I thought the Colt Brennan bandwagon was silly before 08 draft when people on here actually thought he was a day 1 prospect, but I just laughed it off and assumed those people would fall back into reality after he wasnt drafted. But the fact that the guy is out of the league after 2 years and people still insist hes some sort of QB gem is absolutely fascinating to me.

What is an 'offensive'?

I mean, I thought the Colt Brennan bandwagon was silly before 08 draft when people on here actually thought he was a day 1 prospect, but I just laughed it off and assumed those people would fall back into reality after he wasnt drafted. But the fact that the guy is out of the league after 2 years and people still insist hes some sort of QB gem is absolutely fascinating to me.

It's just that time of the year again. You know, where colleges best players (whether they are good or bad NFL prospects) make a few plays and fans wish they would be on our team. Colt had a very successful College career and I enjoyed watching him but the moment they were fighting for a chance to play a big time school and they drew Georgia, I knew it was all down hill for him. He and his team were OBLITERATED in that game against against the first GOOD defense they played and I knew it wouldn't end well for him. Now to be out of the league after only a couple years, its sad but the reality of football. Some guys, regardless of their college credentials, just don't have "it". Colt Brennan doesn't have "it". Colt Mccoy.......he's got "it"
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
4/15 for 52 yards is f**king awful. i don't care whether it's pro, college or highschool or who the opponent is. locker has looked pretty mediocre for a college qb. i can only imagine him in the nfl.

someone will draft him in the first few rounds and i hope its not us based on this game

Did you even watch the game? Locker wasn't given many opportunities to throw the ball down the field, and when he did his receivers were manhandled and shoved out of bounds. He had one nice downfield throw and several that were incomplete because of his receivers getting absolutely destroyed. His other incompletions were throw aways, I saw only mabye 2 poor throws. He did everything asked of him and showed the toughness, leadership, and athleticism that his team NEEDED to win this game. Yes, Polk did a great job but Locker did what he needed to do and finishes his career on top

^^^

This. You got it. He used his head and let the game come to him. Instead of forcing the issue. And he has the worst talent in the PAC 10 around him. His WR's are garbage.

Well he wouldn't do well here then because Crabtree purposely tips the ball in the air for interceptions and quits on routes all the time. So Locker wouldn't fit here because according to you our WR's are garbage.

Crabtree is far better than anything Locker has.
Colt McCoy is gonna suck next year, who cares. Locker sucks.
He sucks. He hasn't improved and is no better than Alex Smith.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
4/15 for 52 yards is f**king awful. i don't care whether it's pro, college or highschool or who the opponent is. locker has looked pretty mediocre for a college qb. i can only imagine him in the nfl.

someone will draft him in the first few rounds and i hope its not us based on this game

Did you even watch the game? Locker wasn't given many opportunities to throw the ball down the field, and when he did his receivers were manhandled and shoved out of bounds. He had one nice downfield throw and several that were incomplete because of his receivers getting absolutely destroyed. His other incompletions were throw aways, I saw only mabye 2 poor throws. He did everything asked of him and showed the toughness, leadership, and athleticism that his team NEEDED to win this game. Yes, Polk did a great job but Locker did what he needed to do and finishes his career on top

^^^

This. You got it. He used his head and let the game come to him. Instead of forcing the issue. And he has the worst talent in the PAC 10 around him. His WR's are garbage.

Well he wouldn't do well here then because Crabtree purposely tips the ball in the air for interceptions and quits on routes all the time. So Locker wouldn't fit here because according to you our WR's are garbage.

Crabtree is far better than anything Locker has.

THIS!

Crabtree whether yall want to admit it or not, is very explosive when given the opportunity. In fact, only 12 players in the NFL who have recorded MORE catches than Crabtree, have a higher average per catch. Crabtree is averaging 13.6 yards per catch and here are the ones that are averaging more:

Calvin Johnson
Greg Jennings
Brandon Lloyd
Terrel Owens
Jeremy Maclin
Miles Austin
Dwayne Bowe
Mike Williams (TB)
Mike Wallace
Mario Manningham
Vernon Davis
Braylon Edwards

So as you can see from the list above, Michael Crabtree MAKES PLAYS the majority of the time and he is also the ONLY teammate that is averaging so many yards per catch AND a good amount of receptions (Vernon Davis) so he is MORE THAN serviceable for ANY QB. The majority of those weapons on that list have good QB's throwing to them OR are in a pass happy offense (Lloyd and Austin) with only Edwards and of course our very own Vernon and Michael having sub-par QB's targeting them.
Originally posted by binary2nd:

More hard hitting, thorough, analysis.

No analysis needed. Both shall suck, The end.

[ Edited by binary2nd on Dec 31, 2010 at 02:04:31 ]

I hope he stays in his home state, and goes to the Sea Chickens. Not sold on this kid at all. Could he be good not worth it I think.

Why?
Originally posted by ea_thegreat:
He sucks. He hasn't improved and is no better than Alex Smith.

Anyone is better than Alex Smith.

Why?

Why does locker suck

No Vision
Scrambles at first sign of pressure
Not that accurate
Doesn't have that 'it' factor
Regressed from the previous year

Even his best talent (scrambling) wont work in the NFL, he's not fast enough IMO
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd take Locker in the 2nd/3rd, but not the 1st.
Share 49ersWebzone