There are 170 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

the case for jake locker

this is imo niners best option after luck...he has prototypicasl size, is athletic, which niners could use given their inability to pass block, he has the arm to make all the throws, he has experience in a pro set, and a good teacher in sarkisian...

he showed good values in coming back to washington than going for the bucks last year, where he was rated right with sam bradford as a prospect....

he has beaten usc twice, inlcuding nice comeback this year..and was big vs notre dame in 2009, almost leading his team back to beat the irish...he hasnt had the best surrounding cast up in seattle either
Originally posted by hofer36:
this is imo niners best option after luck...he has prototypicasl size, is athletic, which niners could use given their inability to pass block, he has the arm to make all the throws, he has experience in a pro set, and a good teacher in sarkisian...

he showed good values in coming back to washington than going for the bucks last year, where he was rated right with sam bradford as a prospect....

he has beaten usc twice, inlcuding nice comeback this year..and was big vs notre dame in 2009, almost leading his team back to beat the irish...he hasnt had the best surrounding cast up in seattle either
How come he sucked so bad this year? Alot of the superlatives you use to sell him could be used for any high end college QB. I should hope football players have prototypical size and athleticism and a good arm. The guy was 4/20 against Nebraska. Do you know the stats behind college QBs who dont complete 60% of their passes and how it correlates to their success in the NFL? Ill give you a hint, the only one to do it and not become a bust was michael vick. Yes.

10/21 for 68 yds, against the 85th ranked defense in UCLA.
i'm a locker fan, i wouldn't mind drafting him in the middle-late 1st
Originally posted by YungAce:
i'm a locker fan, i wouldn't mind drafting him in the middle-late 1st
hard hitting analysis.......


http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/john_lopez/07/08/qb.rule/index.html
He can be very good. It will depend on the coach. If you have another Dingletary type coach he will fail. With a good coach and probably not start the first year he can be good.
Originally posted by jojomellon:
Originally posted by hofer36:
this is imo niners best option after luck...he has prototypicasl size, is athletic, which niners could use given their inability to pass block, he has the arm to make all the throws, he has experience in a pro set, and a good teacher in sarkisian...

he showed good values in coming back to washington than going for the bucks last year, where he was rated right with sam bradford as a prospect....

he has beaten usc twice, inlcuding nice comeback this year..and was big vs notre dame in 2009, almost leading his team back to beat the irish...he hasnt had the best surrounding cast up in seattle either
How come he sucked so bad this year? Alot of the superlatives you use to sell him could be used for any high end college QB. I should hope football players have prototypical size and athleticism and a good arm. The guy was 4/20 against Nebraska. Do you know the stats behind college QBs who dont complete 60% of their passes and how it correlates to their success in the NFL? Ill give you a hint, the only one to do it and not become a bust was michael vick. Yes.

10/21 for 68 yds, against the 85th ranked defense in UCLA.

According to the article you posted Cutler completed 57% of his passes. Honestly, I dunno. Jake scares me a lot because he has a ton of potential and could turn out to be similar to Steve Young, but at the same time he can be a huge bust with the inability to complete a pass. If a QB guru like a Harbaugh coached him, or a Gruden or a Shanahan or Holmgren I think he would succeed. If he goes to a team with a bad coach or a defensive minded coach and a system that's not QB friendly he would probably not develop right. I dunno, we'll have to see. He can do himself a lot of favors if he plays well in his bowl game and it depends on how he does in the combine and the senior bowl if he works out. If a QB guru picked him for us I would be cool with it, if not it could set us back 5 years. He is a risky pick.
I don't think anyone can be worse than what we've got, especially Alex Smith. I'm all for Locker. Harbaugh or Gruden would coach the he'll out of him and make him a stud.
He has to have the right coach. Without a year to watch and grow and without the right coach, Locker will tank in the NFL. The wrong situation could ruin him.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
He has to have the right coach. Without a year to watch and grow and without the right coach, Locker will tank in the NFL. The wrong situation could ruin him.

Dingletary = wrong situation (now gone).

NoWin = wrong situation (long gone).

Harbaugh = right situation. He can turn Locker into a great player. Will we land Harbaugh?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
He has to have the right coach. Without a year to watch and grow and without the right coach, Locker will tank in the NFL. The wrong situation could ruin him.

Dingletary = wrong situation (now gone).

NoWin = wrong situation (long gone).

Harbaugh = right situation. He can turn Locker into a great player. Will we land Harbaugh?

will not be surprised a bit if say we land harbaugh and if he feels locker has the tools he will be a 9er and he will be harbaugh's latest project
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,980
Shhhhh, don't say it too loud. Maybe he'll drop to us. Lets keep him under the radar.

[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 30, 2010 at 06:01:20 ]
He'll no...dude is not that great...people loved smiths potential too and u see where that got us. The truth is in the pudding and dude is not very good...Truth. Just because you want him to succeed doesn't mean he will ...come on guys take off the homer glasses and evaluate him objectively. Justsayin
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
He'll no...dude is not that great...people loved smiths potential too and u see where that got us. The truth is in the pudding and dude is not very good...Truth. Just because you want him to succeed doesn't mean he will ...come on guys take off the homer glasses and evaluate him objectively. Justsayin

Why has anyone here got homer glasses about Locker? Not like he is local or anything

[ Edited by English on Dec 30, 2010 at 06:18:43 ]
We'll get to see him face off against a tough Nebraska defense tonight. I expect the Huskers to have success pressuring him, so either he'll show off his mobility and use his athleticism to keep them off-balanced or we'll see Locker looking uncomfortable under pressure and posting another mediocre performance.

I hope he does well, but I don't really expect him to. I question his poise and ability to be effective from the pocket. It'll be fun to watch though and scouts will be tuned in to see how he does against a legit defense on a big stage. With the draft rolling around, this might be the most meaningful game of his career.
Originally posted by strickac:
We'll get to see him face off against a tough Nebraska defense tonight. I expect the Huskers to have success pressuring him, so either he'll show off his mobility and use his athleticism to keep them off-balanced or we'll see Locker looking uncomfortable under pressure and posting another mediocre performance.

I hope he does well, but I don't really expect him to. I question his poise and ability to be effective from the pocket. It'll be fun to watch though and scouts will be tuned in to see how he does against a legit defense on a big stage. With the draft rolling around, this might be the most meaningful game of his career.

he went 4-20 last time he played Nebraska but I think he can be good. We need to wait until we see our HC first. If it is Harbaugh or Gruden and they are as good as advertised, it won't matter which QB we get (Mallet, Locker, Stanzi, Newton) because they SHOULD be able to turn each of those individuals into something special. They all have the physical talent, they just need the right coach with the right system.