There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Bring Back the WCO Mock Offseason

I hear a lot of people talking about the team's tradition and how we need to go back to the WCO and the ol' winning ways. I even hear Jed talk incessantly about getting advice from Eddie. So if we're to restore the legacy, rather than continue the madness, I think it might look something like this:

GM--Rick Mueller. The key is this is someone who's been around a winning franchise. He was director of player personnel for the saints from 2000 to 2008, and the team improved in many areas, but the personnel on offense by '08 was remarkable, and the main reason they won a SB, and the main reason he'd be the right fit here.

HC--Pat Shurmur. He's a guy from the Walsh tree via Andy Reid. He's doing wonders with Bradford in STL. He's the most logical choice in the line of WCO coaches and helped McNabb improve as a QB while in Philadelphia.

Together these two could be like the duo in ATL, unsung and effective.

FAs: QB Donovan McNabb.
I know there's naysayers, but c'mon Washington is a mess and McNabb is by far the best player available at the position in the FA or Draft aside from Andrew Luck. Did i mentione he's a west coast guy? I also like his leadership and habit of winning, could really help this team. Get's paired together with Westbrook again, has something to prove with all the trash talk he's had to deal with, and can be effective right away. I'm just not willing to waste the talents of Willis, V. Davis or especially Gore any longer, while we develop a young QB.

Draft:
Rd 1, CB Prince Amukamara--this is a glaring need for us. Clements must go after this year. Remember how he and Spencer kept jumping routes against SEA? Remember how every average QB looked unstoppable against us? The secondary has to improve for the D to take the next step and while R. Smith, Goldson and Mays are all still getting better at S, we're lost at CB right now. Amukamara would be getting a lot more attention if it weren't for Patrick Peterson, who should be gone by the time we pick, but who isn't that much better than Amukamara.

Rd 2. Justin Houston DE/OLB--I think we all agree the other thing our D needs is a real pass rusher. He's a guy with 19.5 tackels for loss and 11 sacks this year. I can't think of a better deal for a pass rusher in the 2nd round. Cut Haralson, and let Houston compete with Brooks across from Manny Lawson.

Also, after much thought I think we should stick with the 3-4, for the sake of consistency in an offseason filled with changes everywhere else, and the fact that Spikes has proven he's still got it at his age. His leadership is really important, just look at the award the team just gave him. Not to mention the 3-4 helps to defend the middle of the field in the increasingly pass-happy league. We should keep it.

Rd 3. Ricky Stanzi QB--he's a prototypical WCO guy, who will drop tot eh third because of some struggles late this year, but he's got accuracy and intangibles and that's what you need for this kind of offense. Let him sit behind Donovan and compete with Nate for the backup/heir apparent role.

Rd 4. Noel Devine RB--we need a change of pace guy, finally. I'd be for having 4 different RBs with the type of offense Reid and Shurmur run. It could be like the Eagles from a few years back.

What do y'all think?
I see your WCO and raise you Tampa 2

I see your Pat Shurmur and raise you
I say bring back the
WCO but go after Kevin Kolb. Swap first round picks and give up the second for Kolb. Then hopefully trade the first round pick for a 2nd and a third.

QB of the future Kolb.

1 second round pick

Two second round picks.

Looks good to me.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
Kolb is nothing special

Kyle Orton is better
Originally posted by crzy:
Kolb is nothing special

Kyle Orton is better

• crzy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YungAce:
Kolb is nothing special

Kyle Orton is better

And best of all Orton is cheaper. We can get him for a 3rd.
Kolb is nothing special

Kyle Orton is better
Originally posted by YungAce:
Kolb is nothing special

Kyle Orton is better

And best of all Orton is cheaper. We can get him for a 4th.

Fixed
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
I see your WCO and raise you Tampa 2

I see your Pat Shurmur and raise you