LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

Flipping First Rounders with the Eagles in Acquiring Kevin Kolb

I'm not in favor of halfway measures. Let's trade our 2011 and 2012 first round picks for Carolina's rights to Luck. If need be, throw in our 2011 fourth round pick and/or Chilo Rachal. Move Anthony Davis to RG and sign a FA RT.
I really think the Eagles will hold out for a first round pick straight up. Not flipping, just the pick. Also, it will not happen until after they lock up Vick in a contract. So this could take a bit. I dont think the Eagles will want to franchise Vick cause that is expensive. They have to make sure they have one of the two going forward.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Curious what the board thinks about the idea of the Niners flipping picks with the Eagles in the first round, and acquiring Kevin Kolb in the deal.

It appears the Niners will select somewhere around the 6-9th area in the draft, if we defeat the Cards. Meanwhile, the Eagles are sitting currently in the 25th slot. While the Niners would never part with their high first rounder for Kolb, a swap of picks might work. The Eagles could target a last piece of the puzzle to compete for a Super Bowl, getting a stud DT, a lockdown corner, etc.

So, who would you like to target at number 25, if this scenario had legs and happened?

Woiuld do that in a heartbeat. Getting a young QB that has had some success ( limited I understand) and keeping a first rounder? Seems like a smart move to me.

Is it possible that the Niners could actually pick 2nd if we lose to Arizona which I think it a 50-50 proposition? If we got the 2nd or 3rd pick I would rather use that and try my best to get Carolina to swap picks and draft Luck.

It would be fun to be in that second slot, and give us a better shot at Luck. The offer would have to be gigantic for the Panthers to give up the rights to Luck.

I'd draft Green once Luck is off the board.

See, if we pick 2nd overall, and we get Harbaugh, Luck may pull an Eli and basically refuse to play for Carolina. Thus even if they pick him, they won't have as much leverage in a trade. We'd still have to give up a handsome amount though
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
They would probably swap 1st-rounders with us for Kolb, but would also require our 2nd this year (at least). If Harbaugh is the head coach, I'd do this...I don't think Kolb is a superstar, but he's at least projected to be as good (if not better) than Matt Cassel, who's having a great year with the Chiefs.

Kolb is the kind of QB you can begin to build around and help stabilize the organization (again, like the Chiefs did with Cassel), then draft a long-term answer to develop behind him. So he may not be the "future" in the sense he can return the team to Super Bowl glory, but he could be the "present," and help the team return to respectability while the "future" develops.

With that later 1st pick, I'd go best pass rusher available or best DB.

I'd be more inclined to grab Carson Palmer for this purpose at little to no cost and keep my high draft pick.

Either would be fine as a veteran starter (while the QB of the future develops); just depends on the system the new head coach brings in.

I agree. I am just suggesting that it's a cheaper option. You're right though, depends on the system. I think everything at this point depends on who our new HC will be. I do think we have the personel to make a change to a WCO pretty easily. Especially, if we can resign Westbrook.
I'm all for it. Kolb has shown some promise and I like his odds of developing into a good NFL starter better then any QB we will have a shot at (Luck, if he comes out, will be gone by the time we draft).
Kolb is like a 2nd year QB to me. Sam Bradford may have more snaps under center than Kolb. The trade isnt worth it imo.
I think that Kolb has all the tools to become (somewhat) special in this league. Kind of like Hasselbeck... That is a big improvement over what we had this year. He can certainly take us the big game!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Kolb is like a 2nd year QB to me. Sam Bradford may have more snaps under center than Kolb. The trade isnt worth it imo.

I agree, I'd give up no more than a 4th round pick. And if we're gonna trade for a vet, I'd rather trade for Carson Palmer.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I agree, I'd give up no more than a 4th round pick. And if we're gonna trade for a vet, I'd rather trade for Carson Palmer.

Wow. I could not disagree more. You seriously dont think Kolb is worth more than a 4th rd pick. Um.... ok.

This. Kolb hasnt shown any signs that he's a franchise QB.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Wow. I could not disagree more. You seriously dont think Kolb is worth more than a 4th rd pick. Um.... ok.

No I don't, Kolb has shown much potential, yes, but nothing that warrants giving up more than that. The little experience he has is what scares me off, keep in mind he'd have to be coached up into a new system all over again. If we're trading for potential, then why not just trade 5 of our picks to get real potential in Andrew Luck. Or like I said, if we're gonna trade for a vet, I'd rather we lean towards Carson Palmer.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

This. Kolb hasnt shown any signs that he's a franchise QB.

Kolb has shown more than any rookie available with the exception of Luck. I think he was damned impressive when given the chance to play. He is worth a HELL of a lot more than a 4th round pick thats for sure. In fact, I seriously doubt the Eagles take less than a first for him and certainly not less than a 2nd.

No I don't, Kolb has shown much potential, yes, but nothing that warrants giving up more than that. The little experience he has is what scares me off, keep in mind he'd have to be coached up into a new system all over again. If we're trading for potential, then why not just trade 5 of our picks to get real potential in Andrew Luck. Or like I said, if we're gonna trade for a vet, I'd rather we lean towards Carson Palmer.

Kolb's stats are very good. His experience is that he has been in the league for awhile. He has performed very well the times he started. But we only make a move for Kolb if we end up hiring a west coash coach like Gruden.

P.S. I know no one has addressed this but has anything thought about Childress as a possible OC/QB coach...he would be perfect if we brought in Kolb.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by bigwads:

Kolb's stats are very good. His experience is that he has been in the league for awhile. He has performed very well the times he started. But we only make a move for Kolb if we end up hiring a west coash coach like Gruden.

P.S. I know no one has addressed this but has anything thought about Childress as a possible OC/QB coach...he would be perfect if we brought in Kolb.

Yah, I ccan't speak for everyone when I say I would much rather give up only a 4th for Kolb and much rather trade for Carson Palmer. But if Gruden was to be our next HC, and we all know how well he works with veteran QB's, then I could see it working out.

.......I'll end it with this, ehhh hes better than what we've had here in 8 years!!!
  • dj43
Originally posted by bigwads:

I think it has been mentioned but little discussion.

From what I have read, Childress was not as deeply involved in either the offensive game plans or the actual QB training. Reid set the game plans and the overall outline as well as giving a lot of situational input on key play calls.

As to QB training, Pat Shurmur was the guy who trained up McNabb as well as Koy Detmer and Feeley. Childress was a place holder who gained a lot of undeserved notoriety.

Given his problems at Minne, I don't want him here. This franchise has already had more drama than it should have.
Share 49ersWebzone