There are 233 users in the forums

Flipping First Rounders with the Eagles in Acquiring Kevin Kolb

Curious what the board thinks about the idea of the Niners flipping picks with the Eagles in the first round, and acquiring Kevin Kolb in the deal.

It appears the Niners will select somewhere around the 6-9th area in the draft, if we defeat the Cards. Meanwhile, the Eagles are sitting currently in the 25th slot. While the Niners would never part with their high first rounder for Kolb, a swap of picks might work (maybe with added compensation). The Eagles could target a last piece of the puzzle to compete for a Super Bowl, getting a stud DT, a lockdown corner, etc. and the Niners get their franchise QB.

So, who would you like to target at number 25, if this scenario had legs and happened? Do you target a DE/OLB, a CB, another WR?

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 29, 2010 at 09:39:49 ]
no
Is Kolb the franchise savior......? I would rather swap spots with our #2nd and #3rd rnd picks but I doubt that would happen.

I don't have a great feeling about Kolb
Originally posted by jreff22:
Is Kolb the franchise savior......? I would rather swap spots with our #2nd and #3rd rnd picks but I doubt that would happen.

I don't have a great feeling about Kolb

Me neither.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Curious what the board thinks about the idea of the Niners flipping picks with the Eagles in the first round, and acquiring Kevin Kolb in the deal.

It appears the Niners will select somewhere around the 6-9th area in the draft, if we defeat the Cards. Meanwhile, the Eagles are sitting currently in the 25th slot. While the Niners would never part with their high first rounder for Kolb, a swap of picks might work. The Eagles could target a last piece of the puzzle to compete for a Super Bowl, getting a stud DT, a lockdown corner, etc.

So, who would you like to target at number 25, if this scenario had legs and happened?

Woiuld do that in a heartbeat. Getting a young QB that has had some success ( limited I understand) and keeping a first rounder? Seems like a smart move to me.

Is it possible that the Niners could actually pick 2nd if we lose to Arizona which I think it a 50-50 proposition? If we got the 2nd or 3rd pick I would rather use that and try my best to get Carolina to swap picks and draft Luck.
I would rather trade a second because I want the high impact player but I would focus on:

Janoris Jenkins
Allen Bailey
Justin Blackmon
Aaron Williams
Jerrell Powe

If we switched to a 4-3
Travis Lewis
Bruce Carter

It is a very interesting scenario however. I just want a quarterback who can win some games for us.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

It appears the Niners will select somewhere around the 6-9th area in the draft, if we defeat the Cards. Meanwhile, the Eagles are sitting currently in the 25th slot. While the Niners would never part with their high first rounder for Kolb, a swap of picks might work. The Eagles could target a last piece of the puzzle to compete for a Super Bowl, getting a stud DT, a lockdown corner, etc.

So, who would you like to target at number 25, if this scenario had legs and happened?

Woiuld do that in a heartbeat. Getting a young QB that has had some success ( limited I understand) and keeping a first rounder? Seems like a smart move to me.

Is it possible that the Niners could actually pick 2nd if we lose to Arizona which I think it a 50-50 proposition? If we got the 2nd or 3rd pick I would rather use that and try my best to get Carolina to swap picks and draft Luck.

It would be fun to be in that second slot, and give us a better shot at Luck. The offer would have to be gigantic for the Panthers to give up the rights to Luck.

I'd draft Green once Luck is off the board.

It would be fun to be in that second slot, and give us a better shot at Luck. The offer would have to be gigantic for the Panthers to give up the rights to Luck.

I wonder what it would take if the Niners did have the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft. Would Carolina take our first next year to move down a spot or 2? Its a pipe dream I know.
I wouldn't mind swapping 1st round picks at all. I just think the Eagles will want a 1st rounder without swapping. And with a lot of teams desperate for a qb, I think they will get that from somebody. They are simply to smart of a front office to take less especially since Kolb has a cap friendly contract. Add in the fact that Vick is gettign beat up and hit a lot, I doubt they give Kolb away for anything less than a 1st rounder. They could accept that high 2nd rounder for McNabb last year b/c they still had Vick and Kolb to fall back on. This time if they give up Kolb there is only Vick and no back up.

[ Edited by lamontb on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:11:49 ]
  • dj43

It appears the Niners will select somewhere around the 6-9th area in the draft, if we defeat the Cards. Meanwhile, the Eagles are sitting currently in the 25th slot. While the Niners would never part with their high first rounder for Kolb, a swap of picks might work (maybe with added compensation). The Eagles could target a last piece of the puzzle to compete for a Super Bowl, getting a stud DT, a lockdown corner, etc. and the Niners get their franchise QB.

So, who would you like to target at number 25, if this scenario had legs and happened? Do you target a DE/OLB, a CB, another WR?
I am a big believer in getting impact players when you have the chance, even if they don't fill your greatest need. So while it would be nice to have Kolb, who I see as an average QB in the league, would it be worth giving up the option to grab a stud DE pass rusher or a top flight CB or a true #1 WR?

As I watch other playoff teams, they all have a true #1 receiver. The 49ers don't even have a #2 if you look at the way Crabtree and Morgan run patterns and catch the ball.

I also see guys who can rush the passer on playoff teams, along with quality corners.

Teams do not have the option to draft in the top 5 very often so when they do, they should go BPA. The 49ers have four critical needs right now, including QB. So if the don't have a chance to use their high pick for a QB, they should get a guy who will provide the greatest impact. That means a pass rusher who makes the secondary look better, followed by a CB, followed by a WR. That is my order of need/preference.

So, "no," I would not switch out of a top 5-6 level pick.

They would probably swap 1st-rounders with us for Kolb, but would also require our 2nd this year (at least). If Harbaugh is the head coach, I'd do this...I don't think Kolb is a superstar, but he's at least projected to be as good (if not better) than Matt Cassel, who's having a great year with the Chiefs.

Kolb is the kind of QB you can begin to build around and help stabilize the organization (again, like the Chiefs did with Cassel), then draft a long-term answer to develop behind him. So he may not be the "future" in the sense he can return the team to Super Bowl glory, but he could be the "present," and help the team return to respectability while the "future" develops.

With that later 1st pick, I'd go best pass rusher available or best DB.
  • dj43
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
They would probably swap 1st-rounders with us for Kolb, but would also require our 2nd this year (at least). If Harbaugh is the head coach, I'd do this...I don't think Kolb is a superstar, but he's at least projected to be as good (if not better) than Matt Cassel, who's having a great year with the Chiefs.

Kolb is the kind of QB you can begin to build around and help stabilize the organization (again, like the Chiefs did with Cassel), then draft a long-term answer to develop behind him. So he may not be the "future" in the sense he can return the team to Super Bowl glory, but he could be the "present," and help the team return to respectability while the "future" develops.

With that later 1st pick, I'd go best pass rusher available or best DB.
What pass rusher do you see available at #22? DB?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
no

green or peterson
i would rather trade them a 2nd
Share 49ersWebzone