There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Crazy's First/Last Mock of 2010

Been seeing everyone having fun posting mock offseasons, and since it's my goal to not do REAL work until my boss comes back tomorrow, thought I should try to squeeze this mock offseason out before I'm swamped

The key to my Mock offseason is to show that we're a talented team, but lacked the proper coaching. Most of our positions have talent (excluding QB and OLB), but haven't been coached properly.

Front Office/Coaching changes

GM: Floyd Reese (current VP of personel w/NE)
Why: He has an amazing track record of picking great talent on both sides of the ball. Also, with ties to SF and full control over football operations, Reese can't wait to tear apart the NFC West

HC: Marty Mornhinweg (current OC of the Eagles)
Why: Although had a rough stint as a HC in Detroit, let's face it, IT'S DETROIT!!! Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh, and Bill Belichick combined wouldn't be able to produce a winning season there, and also he has had time to learn from his mistakes.

He also brings a strong WCO mindset and will make an offense fitting to the strengths of our skill players (i.e. VD, Gore, Crabtree, Morgan). He brings in his own offensive staff, which may include promoting QB coach James Urban to OC.

Gruden will not come b/c there's no established QB, Harbaugh looks like he wants one more year at Stanford, Billick has been out of the game too long, and we need an offensive minded coach

DC: Rob Ryan (current DC for Cleveland Browns)
Why: With the eventual departure of Mangini, Holmgren will either step in as HC or hire Gruden to coach. Either way, neither will retain Ryan and with the money Reese offers Ryan, he heads back to the Bay Area that has constantly shown to love this guy's stout defenses. Since Ryan has coached every type of defense, I think he'll move us into a 4-3 system due to our talent, but could play us at 3-4 if needed.

Free agents/Trades

Resign:
- David Baas: With him at center, our interior line will weigh over 1000lbs, that and he showed better poise at Center than he did at LG. Will probably sign cheaper for 3 year deal.

- Manny Lawson: Granted it was a contract year, he excelled and has shown to be capable of playing either 3-4 or 4-3 OLB, which will be important. (4-years)

- Ray McDonald: Very versatile player, will not command large contract. (3-years)

-Takeo Spikes: Still shows he can play, not a lot of faith in either of the backups. (2-years)

-Delanie Walker: Extension. Has been a constant threat to catch and scorch LBers, improved blocking as well. Too talented to let slip away. (4-years)

-Nate Clements: Restructure deal. Although has had down numbers, still best option available. Would also like to see how Ryan can use him. (3-years, higher bonus to lower overall cap hit)

-Troy Smith: Cheap back-up (1-year).

The rest would be let go (i.e. Alex Smith, Goldson, Evans, Franklin, Sims, Morris, etc.)

Trades

- Trade 2011 2nd rounder and 2012 3rd rounder to Eagles for Kevin Kolb: Yes, I know this has been overplayed, but with Marty Mornhinweg as our HC and possibly Urban as our OC, Kolb doesn't have a wierd transition into the offense. Also, McNabb will end up in Arizona, Orton will be in Seattle/Miami, and no chance of snagging Luck or Mallett, so trading for a solid QB with good numbers and still in the same system.

The trade not only gives Eagles return on 2nd round investment, but gives them a future 3rd rounder to invest in future needs. Also, with emergence of Vick, no need to have two high QB salaries.

Free Agents (realistic b/c SF not as appealing situation as previous years, so no top free agent signings)

- Chris Carr, CB: Not a lockdown corner, but is fast and fits into Ryan's coaching style.

- Robaire Smith, DT: Knows Ryan's scheme and has shown to be a force inside.

- Tony Ugoh, OT: Depth with loss of Sims, also young.

- Steve Breaston, WR: Will fight for #3 with Ted Ginn. Fast, strong possession receiver, and will fit into Mornhinweg's system. Also weakens Arizona's depth.

2011 Draft

Will be picking around 9-11 due to 6-10 finish

Round 1: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
Why: Due to so many teams drafting for QB need and CB need, the top overall D-Line player falls to us. Can play either 3-4 or 4-3 DE, similar mold to Justin Smith and seems to have a higher ceiling than any other DL (including Fairley and Bowers). Reese gets another steal

Round 2: Traded for Kolb

Round 3: LeMichael James, RB, Oregon
Why: Probably hardest pick with possibly either Dowling/Carmichael and WR steals in Young/Pettis/Broyles, but the best scat back available opens the offensive playbook. Imagine shotgun sets with Gore and James in the backfield, talk about SCARY!!!

Round 4: Stanley Havili, FB, USC
Why: The F-back plays an important role in Mornhinweg's WCO style and Havili provides that versatility. Also, Morris is getting old and can't rely on alligator arms to pose any threat to the defense.

Round 5: Jeron Johnson, S, Boise State (thanks Frisco69er)
Why: Great depth at S, immediate special teams player, can become a possible FS if the Reggie Smith era fails.

Round 6/7: BPA, Reese has been known to find late round steals here and there

Starting Lineups

Offense
QB- Kolb, Smith, UDFA
RB- Gore, James, Dixon
FB- Havili, Bynham
TE- VD, Walker, Bynham
WR- Morgan, Crabtree, Breaston, Ginn, Ziegeler
LT- Staley, Ugoh
LG- Iupati, Snyder
C- Baas, Heitmann
RG- Rachal, Heitmann, Snyder
RT- Davis, Ugoh

Defense: 4-3
RDE- J. Smith, Haralson
DT- Sopoaga, McDonald
DT- R. Smith, RJF
LDE- Clayborn, Brooks
ROLB-Lawson, Bowman
MLB-Willis, McKillop
LOLB-Spikes, BPA
RCB- Clements, Carr
LCB- Spencer, Brown, Adams
FS- Smith, Johnson
SS- Mays, Taylor

With this offseason, fixed glaring needs of coaching, QB, and offensive dominance. Even with McNabb going to Arizona, Seattle getting used to Carroll, and the Rams getting post-season experience, our defense has been working together for years and our offense finally has a competent QB and coaching staff to make adjustments during season.

I know we didn't snag a top tier FA or a superstar WR, but with a better scheme and a real QB to get them the ball, our receiving core will be disgustingly good... not to mention multiple RB threats in Gore, James and Dixon, can you say "Top 10 in NFL on 3rd down conversion"

Have at it, will have a new draft once GM and HC is decided
I think Phili is going to want a 1st rounder for Kolb. And looking around the league at the shortage of quality QBs, I think they will get it.

But if somehow we got Kolb for this years' 2nd and next years' 3rd I would be stoked!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I think Phili is going to want a 1st rounder for Kolb. And looking around the league at the shortage of quality QBs, I think they will get it.

But if somehow we got Kolb for this years' 2nd and next years' 3rd I would be stoked!

i think the eagles would let him go for 2 2nd rounders, i mean after all he IS their backup, ur right though the shortage of good starting qbs around the league could lead to a bidding war for him that could eventually raise the compensation, 2 2nd rounders SHOULD be enough for him.
This would be great. I'd like to get a Kellen Moore in the late rounds possibly and another CB/S/OLB.

Love the coaching staff though. That would be very solid.
My god why does everyone have James getting drafted.

HE IS A SOPHOMORE! HES NOT ELGIBLE FOR THE DRAFT!

and even if he was, he is staying all 4 years. He is too undersized to leave early and expect to get drafted at a realistic spot considering his talent
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
This would be great. I'd like to get a Kellen Moore in the late rounds possibly and another CB/S/OLB.

everyone is talking about kellen moore, but isnt he a junior still? i cant imagine he would come out early if he is
This would be awesome but our corners would still suck, along with the rest of our secondary.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
This would be awesome but our corners would still suck, along with the rest of our secondary.

draft prince in round 1, and trade back into the late first round and get Locker
Originally posted by cory4903:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

everyone is talking about kellen moore, but isnt he a junior still? i cant imagine he would come out early if he is

After losing like he did this season -- he has to realize his team will never get a shot at the BCS National Title game. This could be a huge factor in him coming out -- depending on where he is overall in the draft boards. He has had a fantastic year and definitely will be drafted.

I agree that he probably will stay, though. This draft seems to have a lot of good QBs coming out. But I'm just saying if he's there he'd be a good pick past rd 5.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

and even if he was, he is staying all 4 years. He is too undersized to leave early and expect to get drafted at a realistic spot considering his talent

LMJ IS eligible. Hes a third year sophmore.

He's a redshirt sophmore, just like Andrew Luck, so he's eligible. It's very possible he stays, but if Oregon wins the NC, is there anything else he has to prove?

As for undersized, he's a damn tough RB and makes up for his lack of size with all around toughness and speed. He's clearly not an every-down back (not even an every down back now), but his elusiveness and track speed make him the perfect screen RB and stretch play, which neither Gore nor Dixon do very well.
The Kolb trade will be similar to the Houston trade to get Matt Schaub methinks. That means, we will give up a 2nd rounder this year, 2nd rounder next year, Texans also swapped first rounders (2 spots) that year I believe, so maybe we throw them a 2012 5th rounder too.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Been seeing everyone having fun posting mock offseasons, and since it's my goal to not do REAL work until my boss comes back tomorrow, thought I should try to squeeze this mock offseason out before I'm swamped

The key to my Mock offseason is to show that we're a talented team, but lacked the proper coaching. Most of our positions have talent (excluding QB and OLB), but haven't been coached properly.

Front Office/Coaching changes

GM: Floyd Reese (current VP of personel w/NE)
Why: He has an amazing track record of picking great talent on both sides of the ball. Also, with ties to SF and full control over football operations, Reese can't wait to tear apart the NFC West

HC: Marty Mornhinweg (current OC of the Eagles)
Why: Although had a rough stint as a HC in Detroit, let's face it, IT'S DETROIT!!! Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh, and Bill Belichick combined wouldn't be able to produce a winning season there, and also he has had time to learn from his mistakes.

He also brings a strong WCO mindset and will make an offense fitting to the strengths of our skill players (i.e. VD, Gore, Crabtree, Morgan). He brings in his own offensive staff, which may include promoting QB coach James Urban to OC.

Gruden will not come b/c there's no established QB, Harbaugh looks like he wants one more year at Stanford, Billick has been out of the game too long, and we need an offensive minded coach

DC: Rob Ryan (current DC for Cleveland Browns)
Why: With the eventual departure of Mangini, Holmgren will either step in as HC or hire Gruden to coach. Either way, neither will retain Ryan and with the money Reese offers Ryan, he heads back to the Bay Area that has constantly shown to love this guy's stout defenses. Since Ryan has coached every type of defense, I think he'll move us into a 4-3 system due to our talent, but could play us at 3-4 if needed.

Free agents/Trades

Resign:
- David Baas: With him at center, our interior line will weigh over 1000lbs, that and he showed better poise at Center than he did at LG. Will probably sign cheaper for 3 year deal.

- Manny Lawson: Granted it was a contract year, he excelled and has shown to be capable of playing either 3-4 or 4-3 OLB, which will be important. (4-years)

- Ray McDonald: Very versatile player, will not command large contract. (3-years)

-Takeo Spikes: Still shows he can play, not a lot of faith in either of the backups. (2-years)

-Delanie Walker: Extension. Has been a constant threat to catch and scorch LBers, improved blocking as well. Too talented to let slip away. (4-years)

-Nate Clements: Restructure deal. Although has had down numbers, still best option available. Would also like to see how Ryan can use him. (3-years, higher bonus to lower overall cap hit)

-Troy Smith: Cheap back-up (1-year).

The rest would be let go (i.e. Alex Smith, Goldson, Evans, Franklin, Sims, Morris, etc.)

Trades

- Trade 2011 2nd rounder and 2012 3rd rounder to Eagles for Kevin Kolb: Yes, I know this has been overplayed, but with Marty Mornhinweg as our HC and possibly Urban as our OC, Kolb doesn't have a wierd transition into the offense. Also, McNabb will end up in Arizona, Orton will be in Seattle/Miami, and no chance of snagging Luck or Mallett, so trading for a solid QB with good numbers and still in the same system.

The trade not only gives Eagles return on 2nd round investment, but gives them a future 3rd rounder to invest in future needs. Also, with emergence of Vick, no need to have two high QB salaries.

Free Agents (realistic b/c SF not as appealing situation as previous years, so no top free agent signings)

- Chris Carr, CB: Not a lockdown corner, but is fast and fits into Ryan's coaching style.

- Robaire Smith, DT: Knows Ryan's scheme and has shown to be a force inside.

- Tony Ugoh, OT: Depth with loss of Sims, also young.

- Steve Breaston, WR: Will fight for #3 with Ted Ginn. Fast, strong possession receiver, and will fit into Mornhinweg's system. Also weakens Arizona's depth.

2011 Draft

Will be picking around 9-11 due to 6-10 finish

Round 1: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
Why: Due to so many teams drafting for QB need and CB need, the top overall D-Line player falls to us. Can play either 3-4 or 4-3 DE, similar mold to Justin Smith and seems to have a higher ceiling than any other DL (including Fairley and Bowers). Reese gets another steal

Round 2: Traded for Kolb

Round 3: LeMichael James, RB, Oregon
Why: Probably hardest pick with possibly either Dowling/Carmichael and WR steals in Young/Pettis/Broyles, but the best scat back available opens the offensive playbook. Imagine shotgun sets with Gore and James in the backfield, talk about SCARY!!!

Round 4: Stanley Havili, FB, USC
Why: The F-back plays an important role in Mornhinweg's WCO style and Havili provides that versatility. Also, Morris is getting old and can't rely on alligator arms to pose any threat to the defense.

Round 5: Jeron Johnson, S, Boise State (thanks Frisco69er)
Why: Great depth at S, immediate special teams player, can become a possible FS if the Reggie Smith era fails.

Round 6/7: BPA, Reese has been known to find late round steals here and there

Starting Lineups

Offense
QB- Kolb, Smith, UDFA----DAVIS
RB- Gore, James, Dixon
FB- Havili, Bynham
TE- VD, Walker, Bynham
WR- Morgan, Crabtree, Breaston, Ginn, Ziegeler
LT- Staley, Ugoh
LG- Iupati, Snyder
C- Baas, Heitmann
RG- Rachal, Heitmann, Snyder
RT- Davis, Ugoh

Defense: 4-3
RDE- J. Smith, Haralson
DT- Sopoaga, McDonald
DT- R. Smith, RJF
LDE- Clayborn, Brooks
ROLB-Lawson, Bowman
MLB-Willis, McKillop
LOLB-Spikes, BPA
RCB- Clements, Carr
LCB- Spencer, Brown, Adams
FS- Smith, Johnson
SS- Mays, Taylor

With this offseason, fixed glaring needs of coaching, QB, and offensive dominance. Even with McNabb going to Arizona, Seattle getting used to Carroll, and the Rams getting post-season experience, our defense has been working together for years and our offense finally has a competent QB and coaching staff to make adjustments during season.

I know we didn't snag a top tier FA or a superstar WR, but with a better scheme and a real QB to get them the ball, our receiving core will be disgustingly good... not to mention multiple RB threats in Gore, James and Dixon, can you say "Top 10 in NFL on 3rd down conversion"

Have at it, will have a new draft once GM and HC is decided

decent draft. why do we forget about davis... a real coach will notice him
our secondary would still be bad - we need a CB and maybe another S!!!!
Originally posted by domingo:

LMJ IS eligible. Hes a third year sophmore.

Call yourself an Oregon Duck? SMH