There are 150 users in the forums

Geek's Mock V2.0 (X-Mas Edition)

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
What still worries me is bringing in another 1st time NFL HC and a whole staff of guys from college.

I think that is too much for Kolb, but I agree when you say it's time to take a gamble, and 2 2nd rounders are worth the gamble.

What are you doing with Lawson? I didn't see him anywhere. One major problem is spikes as OLB in a 4-3. Sorry but he can't do that. He's never been a good OLB when in the 4-3.

I would like to sign a vet safety somewhere. I'm not comfortable with Mays and smith or any current roster combo of safeties. The position needs to be addressed again.

Overall I really like this b/c it's more realistic and what is more likely to happen.

Lawson is a free agent. Does he want to remain in SF for another reigme change? It's in his hands right now, and with the holdout this past offseason, I am not sure he does want to come back. Would I have him back instead of Spikes? Absolutely. Is it realistic? Probably not.

This mock isn't a dream mock by any means. It's just what a realisitic mock may look up. A handful of good signings, trade for a QB, and draft some value-added players.
Look if we do get Harbaugh, which I'd be fine with we should not trade the house for Kevin Kolb, he's not worth a 1st round pick let alone three picks. He played one or two series and gets rocked with a concussion, no thanks. BUT if we do get Harbaugh let him find the gem in the draft at QB , trade for or sign Kyle Orton to play in front of the new QB for 2011 and move on from there.

Just doesnt make much sense hiring a QB guy and not letting him pick a young prospect to make his own.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Look if we do get Harbaugh, which I'd be fine with we should not trade the house for Kevin Kolb, he's not worth a 1st round pick let alone three picks. He played one or two series and gets rocked with a concussion, no thanks. BUT if we do get Harbaugh let him find the gem in the draft at QB , trade for or sign Kyle Orton to play in front of the new QB for 2011 and move on from there.

Just doesnt make much sense hiring a QB guy and not letting him pick a young prospect to make his own.

The trade was the 49ers 1st round pick and two 2nd round picks for Kolb and the Eagles 1st round pick. Exact same trade as what the Texans did when they acquired Schaub. And then they signed an offensive minded coach.
Overall looks pretty good, but why is Carr still on the team? Aside from that, I could see this as a realistic option. Although I am not sure Harbaugh would bring his whole college coaching staff with him.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Overall looks pretty good, but why is Carr still on the team? Aside from that, I could see this as a realistic option. Although I am not sure Harbaugh would bring his whole college coaching staff with him.

Many of those guys coached in the NFL. Carr is still on the team because he's the only one under contract, and some of the new coaching staff coached Carr while they were on the Texans. Greg Roman, and I think maybe Shaw.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I like the trade, but not the picks.
I love the coaching staff you have, very solid. Only thing, I think Harbaugh would rather go with the 3-4 D since he runs that in college. The trade for Kolb, I could live with that, but I'd rather we drafted a QB much more earlier than the 5th round. Oh yah, and get Carr off the team, can't we trade him to the CFL??? I also love the free agent pick ups, not the sexiest additions, but all are pretty damn serviceable. Haven't really seen or I haven't seen Jimmy Smith play before, but I guess we'll get a pretty good view of him at the Senior Bowl. Overall, good job I like it.
Originally posted by boast:
hell no. that's way too much for Kolb.

Gotta agree with this.......3 picks including a potential top 10 pick? Pass!
Get Jerry Sullivan out of here!

As for the rest of the coaching staff, I like it. BUT... I would either make David the OC or an offensive coaching assistant (future OC), and I would like to see Larry Kirksey (Houston Texans) be hired as our WR coach.

Quote:
Larry Kirksey enters his fourth year as the wide receivers coach for the Texans. He brings over a decade of experience to coaching wide receivers. He has coached three receivers, Jerry Rice (1,549), Jimmy Smith (862) and Terrell Owens (1,006), that have over 850 receptions in their career.

Kirksey’s star pupil in Houston is four-time Pro Bowl WR Andre Johnson. In three seasons under Kirksey’s tutelage, Johnson has averaged an NFL-best 97.4 yards per game and has led the league in receiving yards each of the last two years while leading in receptions in 2008. Johnson joined Rice as the only receivers in NFL history to lead the league in receiving yards in consecutive seasons and joined Marvin Harrison as the only receivers to surpass 1,500 yards in back-to-back years.

The receiving corps was a team strength in 2009 as the Texans led the NFL in passing offense at 290.9 yards per game. In addition to Johnson, Kevin Walter caught 53 passes for 611 yards while Jacoby Jones emerged as a big-play threat, averaging a touchdown every 4.5 receptions. Fourth-year pro David Anderson turned in a career year with 38 receptions for 370 yards.

In 2008, Johnson led the NFL in receptions, with 115, and receiving yards, with 1,575. Both were career highs for the franchise’s all-time leading receiver, who earned Associated Press first-team All-Pro honors and started for the AFC in the Pro Bowl. Johnson teamed with Walter for the most prolific receiving tandem in the league. The pair combined for 2,474 receiving yards. Walter’s 899 yards were a career high for him. Both also matched the franchise record for receiving touchdowns with eight apiece.

In his first year with the Texans, Kirksey oversaw a group that had three players top 700 receiving yards, making Houston one of just four teams to achieve that feat. The unit’s depth was tested when Johnson missed seven games due to injury, but fellow receivers Walter and André Davis stepped up to fill the void. Walter set career highs in receptions, with 65, yards, with 800, and touchdowns, with four. His 65 catches led the team and he was second in receiving yards. Davis emerged as one of the best deep threats in the NFL, averaging nearly 18 yards per catch. Despite playing in just nine games, Johnson once again led the team in receiving yards, with 851, and touchdowns, with eight.

Kirksey spent the 2006 season as an asst. head coach/running backs at Middle Tennessee State. The Blue Raiders won the Sun Belt title on their way to the Motor City Bowl.

Kirksey spent the 2004 season in Denver as a volunteer coach for the Broncos. He spent 2003 as the wide receivers coach with the Jacksonville Jaguars. During his time in Jacksonville, Jimmy Smith led the team with 54 receptions while missing four games.

He spent the 2001-02 season in Detroit. During the 2001 season, Johnnie Morton finished the year 12th in the NFL with 1,154 receiving yards. The Lions finished sixth in the league with 224.8 yards per game.

Kirksey, a Kentucky native, was an assistant head coach in charge of the wide receivers at Texas A&M in 2000. That year, he helped lead the Aggies to a berth in the Independence Bowl while injecting hints of the West Coast offense.

In 1994, Kirksey began his NFL coaching career with the responsibility of coaching the NFL’s all-time reception and receiving yards leader Jerry Rice. Under Kirksey, Rice set an NFL record with 1,848 receiving yards, while setting a career high of 122 receptions in 1995. From 1994-99 Rice caught 606 passes for 6,666 yards. Kirksey’s receivers helped set a Super Bowl record in Super Bowl XXIX with six touchdown catches, including three by Rice.

From 1990 to 93, Kirksey coached running backs for Alabama, where he helped lead the Crimson Tide to a national championship in 1992. Kirksey’s running back corps led the SEC in rushing that season with an average of 252 yards per game. He coached running backs at the University of Florida under Charlie Pell and Galen Hall from 1984 to 88. During his tenure at Florida, he coached star running backs Lorenzo Hampton, Neal Anderson, John L. Williams, and Emmitt Smith. After leaving Florida, Kirksey spent one year as running backs coach at Pittsburgh.

Prior to joining the Gators, Kirksey gained valuable experience by taking over head coaching duties at Kentucky State in 1983.

Kirksey got his start in coaching when he became the wide receiver/tight end coach at Miami of Ohio in 1974 and remained with the Redskins for three seasons before joining the staff at Kentucky. He also coached wide receivers and tight ends for the Wildcats from 1977 to 1981, then spent the 1982 campaign coaching the same positions at Kansas.

Kirksey earned a bachelor’s degree from Eastern Kentucky in 1974, where he was a four-year letterman and three-year starter at wide receiver. As a senior, he earned all-conference honors. Kirksey was out of coaching in 2005 while serving as deputy executive director of the Kentucky Sports Authority.

He and wife Anita have two children, Jessica and Jared.

KIRKSEY’S COACHING LEDGER
2007-09: Wide Receivers, Houston Texans
2006: Asst. Head Coach/Running Backs, Middle Tennessee
2004: Asst. Special Teams/ Volunteer, Denver Broncos
2003: Wide Receivers, Jacksonville Jaguars
2001-02: Wide Receivers, Detroit Lions
2000: Asst. Head Coach/Wide Receivers, Texas A&M
1994-99: Wide Receivers, San Francisco 49ers
1990-93: Running Backs, Alabama
1989: Running Backs, Pittsburgh
1984-88: Running Backs, Florida
1983: Head Coach, Kentucky State
1982: Wide Receivers/Tight Ends, Kansas
1977-81: Wide Receivers/Tight Ends, Kentucky
1974-76: Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers/Tight Ends, Miami (Ohio)

[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 26, 2010 at 11:50:42 ]
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:

The trade was the 49ers 1st round pick and two 2nd round picks for Kolb and the Eagles 1st round pick. Exact same trade as what the Texans did when they acquired Schaub. And then they signed an offensive minded coach.

I dont think the picks matter as much as Kolb not being talented enough to make a trade that includes any #1 picks. He has thrown 6 tds 4 ints in this season in a system that is as QB friendly as any other system in pro football. A system that makes a mediocre passer in michael vick look like the best QB in the NFL. Im saying the Eagles stretched to get Kolb and he's just not worth swapping out 1sts and giving up our 2nd for.

If you get Harbaugh you gotta let him find his own QB .

Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
stopped reading when i saw we traded a 1st for freaking kolb

Well, we did get their 1st in return. So technically, we gave them two 2nd rounders for Kolb.

eww... i like some of it, but kolb trade and carr? no ways
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I like Kolb, but thats too much for him
Share 49ersWebzone