There are 180 users in the forums

Blaine Gabbert?

• jrg
  • Veteran
Maybe mid to late 2nd round pick? Thoughts on this guy?

Maybe a fit for SF?
Originally posted by jrg:

Maybe a fit for SF?

I posted this to your response over on AB's thread...

I have heard that Missouri runs the spread. It will depend on the coach but if we get another spread QB (like Alex) let's hope we use it.

If we don't go QB in the first and don't get a vet starter (Kolb, Orton, Palmer, etc) then we have to get one in the first 2 rounds. We just have to decide if it's Mallett, Locker, Foles, Devlin, Gabbert, Ponder, Newton, Stanzi, etc. (depending on who comes out)

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 24, 2010 at 21:40:04 ]
Not sure but I think this is Scouts Inc so Todd McShay's rankings. They seem too high on most of these QBs and too low on some. First # is Rating/100, 2nd is QB position rank, 3rd is overall rank.

Andrew Luck QB 6'4" 235 Stanford 98 1 1
Blaine Gabbert QB 6'5" 240 Missouri 93 2 20
Jake Locker QB 6'2½" 229 Washington 92 3 23
Cam Newton QB 6'5½" 248 Auburn 91 4 29
Ryan Mallett QB 6'6¾" 238 Arkansas 90 5 31
Christian Ponder QB 6'2" 221 Florida State 72 6 94
Pat Devlin QB 6'3" 225 Delaware 68 7 113
Colin Kaepernick QB 6'4½" 220 Nevada 61 8 136
Ricky Stanzi QB 6'4" 230 Iowa 55 9
Nathan Enderle QB 6'4" 232 Idaho 50 10
Andy Dalton QB 6'1½" 217 TCU 47 11
Tyrod Taylor QB 6'1" 216 Virginia Tech 45
Greg McElroy QB 6'2" 228 Alabama 36 12
T.J. Yates QB 6'4" 220 North Carolina 32 13
Taylor Potts QB 6'3½" 218 Texas Tech 30 14
Scott Tolzien QB 6'1½" 216 Wisconsin 30 15
Case Keenum QB 6'0½" 207 Houston 30 16
Ben Chappell QB 6'1" 238 Indiana 30 17
Jerrod Johnson QB 6'4" 238 Texas A&M 30 18

So they are pretty high on him, 1 problem to me is if you look at this year and last look what he did against Nebraska, OK State and Texas Tech. Not even that great of defenses (except Nebraska) but put up like 10 ints and 2 TDs with 40 % accuracy.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 24, 2010 at 21:44:59 ]
Here is what they say about Gabbert.

1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal
Quarterback

Production 2 2008: (5/0)5 of 13 (38.5 pct.), 43 yards. 2009: (13/13) 262 of 445 (58.8), 3,593 yards, 24 TD, 9 INT. Career: 109 carries, 226 yards (2.1 avg.), 3 TD.

Height-Weight-Speed 2 Possesses an excellent combination of height and frame along with above-average top-end speed.

Durability 2 Played in only five games as a high school senior due to an ankle and shoulder injury. Suffered a sprained ankle during the 2009 Nebraska contest but played through injury and did not miss a snap. Started in all 13 games in his first season as starter in 2009.

Intangibles 1 Takes care of his business both on and off the field. Excellent student in the class room and was named first-team Academic All-Big 12 selection in 2009. Vocal leader and challenges teammates in offseason workouts.

Toughness/Leadership 2 Plays with confidence. Appears to have good on-field leadership qualities. Overall poise is adequate but not elite. Will stand in the pocket and deliver throw with defender closing in his face. However, needs to show more pocket presence when feeling pressure collapsing from the outside. A tough competitor who will play through injury. Played the majority of the 2009 Nebraska game with a severely sprained ankle.

Intelligence/Decision Making 3 Comes from a spread system and has very limited experience working under center. Going to need time to adjust to pro-style drops and reads. On the other hand, a very good manager of the game. Displays a thorough understanding of coverages and does a nice job of getting pre- and post-snap reads on safeties. Confident in his reads and displays ability to anticipate and squeeze throws into tight windows. However, will take risks and throw into coverage on occasion. Needs to do a better job of taking what the defense gives him.

Accuracy 2 Overall accuracy is good. Throws with balance and feet underneath him. Precise with short accuracy and makes routine throws look easy. Accurate and puts good air with over-the-shoulder and fade routes. However, still developing touch with intermediate crossing routes. Throws too many fastballs and needs to take something off and change trajectories at times. Puts proper air under with deep throws but will miss to the outside on occasion.

Release/Arm Strength 2 Quick and compact three-quarters release. Ball jumps off of hand with tight spirals. Arm strength is a notch below elite but will have no problems making all NFL-caliber throws. Puts good zip on deep out throws from opposite hash. Flashes ability to deliver downfield throws with adequate velocity falling away or off his back foot. Can drive the deep throw and stretch defenses vertically. Tipped balls at the line of scrimmage do not appear to be an issue.

Pocket Mobility 2 Possesses good foot quickness and above-average agility for size. Does a nice job of sliding to find passing lanes. Will keep eyes downfield when rush avoiding. However, needs to do a better job of stepping up in the pocket when feeling edge pressure. Can be tough to bring down for sack and shows ability to ward off defenders and keep play alive. Does a nice job of extending play when breaking contain and throws accurately on the run to both sides. Has enough speed to pick up first-down yardage with his feet.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 24, 2010 at 21:39:12 ]
I like how he will throw it up... But if he's rated the second best qb he'll be gone before are pick! Still if we keep sing. It's iform all the way and he's spread and shotgun style qb. Again if we don't and we keep mike johnson at oc who looks like he does a style of spread, with spacing plays to up the field then sure kid would fit in.
All this matters not if we dont have a running back to give gore a break like westbrooke who can work in the spread system with top speed...
im very surprised by gabbert being ranked 2nd QB and 20th overall by McShay(Scouts Inc).

But i would rather take him than Newton.
Gabbert news from Draft Insiders

Quote:
Late word yesterday had sources telling us Missouri junior quarterback Blaine Gabbert is knee deep into making a decision on whether or not to opt for the draft, something we spoke about in the beginning of November. We hear Gabbert’s decision could be based on what Andrew Luck does; if Luck enters the draft Gabbert is more prone to stay in college and vice versa. It may be tough for Gabbert to stay at Mizzou if he bases his decision on the evaluation of NFL teams. Franchises which have openly spoken about Gabbert have said they rank him as the number two draft eligible quarterback for the 2011 draft- only behind Luck yet ahead of every other senior and underclassmen.
Originally posted by DesiDez:

Quote:
Late word yesterday had sources telling us Missouri junior quarterback Blaine Gabbert is knee deep into making a decision on whether or not to opt for the draft, something we spoke about in the beginning of November. We hear Gabbert’s decision could be based on what Andrew Luck does; if Luck enters the draft Gabbert is more prone to stay in college and vice versa. It may be tough for Gabbert to stay at Mizzou if he bases his decision on the evaluation of NFL teams. Franchises which have openly spoken about Gabbert have said they rank him as the number two draft eligible quarterback for the 2011 draft- only behind Luck yet ahead of every other senior and underclassmen.

If he's really that highly thought of I kind of want us to pick him.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Not sure but I think this is Scouts Inc so Todd McShay's rankings. They seem too high on most of these QBs and too low on some. First # is Rating/100, 2nd is QB position rank, 3rd is overall rank.

Andrew Luck QB 6'4" 235 Stanford 98 1 1
Blaine Gabbert QB 6'5" 240 Missouri 93 2 20
Jake Locker QB 6'2½" 229 Washington 92 3 23
Cam Newton QB 6'5½" 248 Auburn 91 4 29
Ryan Mallett QB 6'6¾" 238 Arkansas 90 5 31
Christian Ponder QB 6'2" 221 Florida State 72 6 94
Pat Devlin QB 6'3" 225 Delaware 68 7 113
Colin Kaepernick QB 6'4½" 220 Nevada 61 8 136
Ricky Stanzi QB 6'4" 230 Iowa 55 9
Nathan Enderle QB 6'4" 232 Idaho 50 10
Andy Dalton QB 6'1½" 217 TCU 47 11
Tyrod Taylor QB 6'1" 216 Virginia Tech 45
Greg McElroy QB 6'2" 228 Alabama 36 12
T.J. Yates QB 6'4" 220 North Carolina 32 13
Taylor Potts QB 6'3½" 218 Texas Tech 30 14
Scott Tolzien QB 6'1½" 216 Wisconsin 30 15
Case Keenum QB 6'0½" 207 Houston 30 16
Ben Chappell QB 6'1" 238 Indiana 30 17
Jerrod Johnson QB 6'4" 238 Texas A&M 30 18

So they are pretty high on him, 1 problem to me is if you look at this year and last look what he did against Nebraska, OK State and Texas Tech. Not even that great of defenses (except Nebraska) but put up like 10 ints and 2 TDs with 40 % accuracy.

Do they check hand size, last thing we want is another Alex Smith small hand QB

Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Quote:

I've been hyping him since October. He pretty much has all the physical tools that scouts drool over but the his one flaw is Mizzou's spread system.

Luck's a better player at this point because he's just so pro-ready but I would take Gabbert over Newton, Locker, and Mallett right now.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Quote:

I've been hyping him since October. He pretty much has all the physical tools that scouts drool over but the his one flaw is Mizzou's spread system.

Luck's a better player at this point because he's just so pro-ready but I would take Gabbert over Newton, Locker, and Mallett right now.

Yeah I've seen him play before and I thought he was a good player but I dunno if he'll transition well to a pro system. But he has all the tools to be a franchise QB and atleast throws a lot. He's the one QB in that 5-10 area I wouldn't mind picking in the first round.
Well watch the bowl game tonite against Iowa. He see both Gabbert and Stanzi.
Originally posted by jrg:

Maybe a fit for SF?

this is a sanchez-bradford thing: in luck stays in college, gabbert declares and goes in the top 10.
I'm not going to fault a 21-year old quarterback for trying to scramble around and make a play that ends in a pick -- so does Big Ben. Everything else he did was phenomenal.

I really don't see any drawbacks to Gabbert -- Gabbert is Big Ben Roethlisberger II, without the sexual assault.

The Mizzou beat writer below thinks who leave, and probably thinks he is (nothing left to gain at Mizzou)

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/article_2beaa8cc-132f-11e0-b038-00127992bc8b.html

Gabbert's a Top 10 pick in 2010 -- 6-5, 240, strong arm, great footwork, accurate, mobile, leadership...and he understands pro-style fundamentals even though he's in a spread.

Here are my new QB rankings:

1. Luck (Top 3 pick)
2. Gabbert (Top 10 pick)
3. Mallett (Top 10 pick)
4. Locker (Top 15 Pick)
5. Newton (Top 15 Pick)
6. Ponder (Top 50 pick)
Share 49ersWebzone