3. Newton (1st)
4. Mallett (1st)
5. Enderle (3rd)
6. Foles (3rd)
7. Taylor (5th)
8. McElroy (5th)
9. Dalton (6th)
10. Tolzien (7th)

Foles didn't even enter though. btw Where is Ponder?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
1. Locker (1st)
2. Gabbert (1st)
3. Newton (1st)
4. Mallett (1st)
5. Enderle (3rd)
6. Foles (3rd)
7. Taylor (5th)
8. McElroy (5th)
9. Dalton (6th)
10. Tolzien (7th)

Or Stanzi, Devlin, Kaepernick, etc.
1. Locker (1st)
2. Gabbert (1st)
3. Newton (1st)
4. Mallett (1st)
5. Enderle (3rd)
6. Foles (3rd)
7. Taylor (5th)
8. McElroy (5th)
9. Dalton (6th)
10. Tolzien (7th)

Where the heck is Stanzi?!
Originally posted by SF69ers:
1. Locker (1st)
2. Gabbert (1st)
3. Newton (1st)
4. Mallett (1st)
5. Enderle (3rd)
6. Foles (3rd)
7. Taylor (5th)
8. McElroy (5th)
9. Dalton (6th)
10. Tolzien (7th)

Back to UDFA status where he belongs
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
1. Locker (1st)
2. Gabbert (1st)
3. Newton (1st)
4. Mallett (1st)
5. Enderle (3rd)
6. Foles (3rd)
7. Taylor (5th)
8. McElroy (5th)
9. Dalton (6th)
10. Tolzien (7th)

Back to UDFA status where he belongs

If that's the case, then Tolzien, Taylor, and Enderle should be UDFAs as well
1. Locker (1st)
2. Gabbert (1st)
3. Newton (1st)
4. Mallett (1st)
5. Enderle (3rd)
6. Taylor (5th)
7. McElroy (5th)
8. Dalton (6th)
9. Tolzien (7th)
10. J. Johnson (7th)

Edited w/o Foles thanks for the heads up. Ponder is not worth a draft pick imo. I'm not saying he won't get drafted. I am saying that wherever he gets drafted they could have taken a better QB instead.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
1. Locker (1st)
2. Gabbert (1st)
3. Newton (1st)
4. Mallett (1st)
5. Enderle (3rd)
6. Foles (3rd)
7. Taylor (5th)
8. McElroy (5th)
9. Dalton (6th)
10. Tolzien (7th)

Because everyone has to evaluate the draft in the exact same fashion? If that's the case let's all fall neatly in line with what Mel Kiper tells us is true.
1. Locker (1st)
2. Gabbert (1st)
3. Newton (1st)
4. Mallett (1st)
5. Enderle (3rd)
6. Foles (3rd)
7. Taylor (5th)
8. McElroy (5th)
9. Dalton (6th)
10. Tolzien (7th)

Because everyone has to evaluate the draft in the exact same fashion? If that's the case let's all fall neatly in line with what Mel Kiper tells us is true.

Dude, you're welcome to your opinion, but so am I. If you want to leave those guys off, go ahead, but don't cry about it if someone points out a few rather obvious things.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 18, 2011 at 11:19 AM ]
1. Locker (1st)
2. Gabbert (1st)
3. Newton (1st)
4. Mallett (1st)
5. Enderle (3rd)
6. Foles (3rd)
7. Taylor (5th)
8. McElroy (5th)
9. Dalton (6th)
10. Tolzien (7th)

Dude, you're welcome to your opinion, but so am I. If you want to leave those guys off, go ahead, but don't cry about it if someone points out a few rather obvious things.

Seriously. To have Tolzien and Enderle on the list but not have Stanzi, Devlin, and Kaeps on there. But I guess he's entitled to his opinion
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Everyone seems to have a different top 5. This is one year that the all-star games and combine will be SUPER important.

If they don't lock in a new CBA before the draft, you can bet teams who have QB issues will be reaching in this draft. Especially us...we can't get stuck with David Carr as the only QB on the roster and not being able to sign/trade for any other quality vet.

I'm not an advocate of reaching for need, but these are special circumstances that might call for a different game plan come April's draft.
If they don't lock in a new CBA before the draft, you can bet teams who have QB issues will be reaching in this draft. Especially us...we can't get stuck with David Carr as the only QB on the roster and not being able to sign/trade for any other quality vet.

I'm not an advocate of reaching for need, but these are special circumstances that might call for a different game plan come April's draft.

Agree Ghost....although I wouldn't say the Niners are in any worse shape than Arizona, Carolina, Minnesota, Washington, or even Cincy or Seattle. There are a whole lotta teams out there that are pretty desperate for a QB....and will certainly reach in the draft to get one.

The good thing now is that Harbaugh undoubtedly has a plan of action for these unusual circumstances. I would predict the Niners take a QB in the first 3 rounds or so and then adds another as an undrafted FA. That would be a good start.

Next, I wouldn't be surprised to see the team make a run at Josh Johnson from Tampa and reunite him with Harbaugh and Morton once the CBA stuff gets worked out.
I am just looking at QBs who can run the WCO mainly. Locker probably has the best potential but is a big project and his accuracy is scary for a WCO. Other guys like McElroy, Stanzi, Dalton, Ponder, Tolzein and Devlin are on my radar as well. I definitely want a vet WCO QB because none of those guys are ready to be a pro QB. Honestly, I could live with a vet this year and not taking a QB and then drafting a guy early to be our starter next year or half way into next year.

Edit: If we do go after Locker I would probably trade down and get an extra 2nd or 3rd before selecting Locker. I wouldn't be hurt if he is gone either. I don't know if he is worth a 7th overall pick to us. Especially, if Harbaugh thinks he can make a starting QB out of a 2nd rounder or later.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 18, 2011 at 5:24 PM ]

Agreed but in that case wouldn't Alex Smith be back then? If there is no CBA do all free agents stay with their original teams? Never took the time to research that.

new9erfan, I don't think teams can trade until the CBA is signed so we couldn't even try to get Josh Johnson as a starter. If it is I wouldn't be surprised if he is on Harbaugh's list. Still, I know a lot of you guys would give a 3rd or 4th but to me he is a backup. He isn't very useful to TB with Freeman... he doesn't provide any impact in the wildcat or spreading out at WR either. We gave up Hill who could start for 1/4 to 1/3 of the teams in the league for a 7th. I'd give up a 6th at most.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 18, 2011 at 5:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Agreed but in that case wouldn't Alex Smith be back then? If there is no CBA do all free agents stay with their original teams? Never took the time to research that.

No, a new CBA will have to be worked out before any games begin. That will likely mean players with 5+ seasons of service can be UFAs. So they'll get the deal done eventually, but it may happen after the draft and it might leave teams scrambling to sign/trade for veteran QBs.
Share 49ersWebzone