LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

Why all the hate for Christian Ponder?

Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
You know who else finished his bachelors in 2.5 year, was athletic, good mechanics and footwork?

Alex Smith, and I'm an Alex supporter and believe he'll do well in another place.

HOWEVER, I don't like Ponder. No intangibles. Has a lot of talent around him and nothing but mediocrity comes from it.

Having said that I'd take him over Derek Anderson Junior, Ryan Mallet.

Yes, there are some Smith-Ponder comparisons, but Ponder is in a pro-style offense.

Also, the talent really isn't there at FL state. 8 or 9 different starting offensive lines this year...Willie Haulstead is talented at WR, but he drops a LOT of passes.

FSU prolly had the best offensive line in the nation last year. Just saying.

thats bullsh*t -- that was true coming into the season - preseason but thats it. ton of benchings and injuries.

Donno dude, I'm a Miami fan (obviously there's a conflict of interest) but their offensive line was fine for that game.
He plays through pain because he's always hurt. Many label him as injury prone. He has never really stuck out to me as a good quarterback. He's shown that basically he's just a guy who can get a little streaky, but for the most part remains about average with some nice performances here and there.

Ponder doesn't "wow" me or anyone else I'm sure. He's a solid developmental option who could be an okay QB in the league if he could ever stay healthy and find the right system. But I don't see him as a top notch QB right now.

Maybe it's the lack of weapons at FSU, who knows, but there have been plenty of other QB's that did more with less. Just don't know. There's a lot of uncertainty surrounding Ponder.
I really don't understand why so many on this board hate on Christian Ponder: He is an EXCELLENT NFL prospect:

1. Runs a pro-style offense
2. Perfect Mechanics
3. Fast, elusive -- sees pressure
4. Excellent footwork -- sets up well in the pocket
5. FANTASTIC on intermediate throws
6. Decent deep ball
7. Sweet pump-fake
8. Very intelligent - 34 on wonderlik; Finished his Bachelors in 2 1/2 years, knocked out his MBA in a year, and is getting his second Masters in Sports Management...that's what aspiring coaches get.
9. Tough -- plays through pain. Played with an elbow injury all year and waited until the reg season was over to take care of it.

That last one has probably cost him the 'elite' status tag -- the nagging elbow injury hurt his numbers this year, and he missed the ACC Championship game and will miss the bowl game.

I would not hesitate to take him in the second if he is there...no hesitation whatsoever.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/acc/wb/262166

I thought this was an odd and not overly impressive compilation of highlights. I'm not really up on Ponder and had no preconceptions, but noticed many of his completions weren't because he made great throws, but rather that his receivers made good catches, often having to wait, slow up or come back for the ball, or outjump the defenders. Based on those highlights, I'd have to say there didn't seem to be anything to get me excited. Granted it's game film and consistency that counts more, and what he's accomplished over a season and career, but those clips don't do much to state his case. Sorry.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
He plays through pain because he's always hurt. Many label him as injury prone. He has never really stuck out to me as a good quarterback. He's shown that basically he's just a guy who can get a little streaky, but for the most part remains about average with some nice performances here and there.

Ponder doesn't "wow" me or anyone else I'm sure. He's a solid developmental option who could be an okay QB in the league if he could ever stay healthy and find the right system. But I don't see him as a top notch QB right now.

Maybe it's the lack of weapons at FSU, who knows, but there have been plenty of other QB's that did more with less. Just don't know. There's a lot of uncertainty surrounding Ponder.

Solidly the #5 QB in this draft, behind Luck, Locker, Mallet, and Newton.

I think Ricky Stanzi would be #5 with Blaine Gabbert, Pat Devlin, and Ponder fighting for the #6 spot.
dude, we dont hate him...we just know he is average
I LOVE FSU, and beleive me....he is the reason why I have 2 new tv's . I do not want him on my Niners. Chris Rix part 2. No way.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
I LOVE FSU, and beleive me....he is the reason why I have 2 new tv's . I do not want him on my Niners. Chris Rix part 2. No way.

I don't even know how the two are comparable. Rix was horrible, with even worse footwork -- I heard he even set up backwards in the pocket (goofy-footed). ZERO accuracy downfield.

I follow FSU and the Niners like it's a religion. I do not want Ponder on the niners. He is a career back-up at best. With that said...I don't agree with the Rix comparison. Ponder is def better but still not someone I want the Niners to draft.
his name is Christian Ponder

Originally posted by SF69ers:

I think Ricky Stanzi would be #5 with Blaine Gabbert, Pat Devlin, and Ponder fighting for the #6 spot.

Ponder is definitely not the #5 guy in my mind right now. He's not way down the list, it's just there are a ton of prospects better. To me, the top ten fall approximately like this:

1. Luck
2. Newton
3. Pryor
4. Locker
5. Mallett
6. Gabbert
7. Stanzi
8. Ponder
9. Kaepernick
10. Devlin
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 28, 2010 at 8:38 PM ]

There is a HUGE dropoff after the top 4 QBS in this draft. Personally, I like Stanzi more but I guess that could be debatable. I think Ponder has accuracy issues and that is the #1 most important thing in the NFL.
Originally posted by RonMexico:

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I've been on Ponder all season, but know waned to jump on the bandwagon. I think he's a legit prospect, who had an injury to his throwing elbow and had s**ty support from the rest of the team.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 23, 2010 at 8:08 AM ]
Originally posted by drake49er:

I follow FSU and the Niners like it's a religion. I do not want Ponder on the niners. He is a career back-up at best. With that said...I don't agree with the Rix comparison. Ponder is def better but still not someone I want the Niners to draft.

He's made many of the same bone headed mistakes as Chris Rix did in the past.
Share 49ersWebzone