LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

How come nobody likes McElroy?

Originally posted by TX9R:
I don't know, he's almost like another, better Ken Dorsey to me: surrounded by NFL talent, not asked to carry the team, hasn't really had to face a ton of adversity, has a defense to cover up mistakes. I keep thinking of the NCG when Texas was just destroying him, once Colt went out so did the pressure and he was able to relax a little. Still didn't play all that well.[/quote]

he was hurt on Texas's first drive of the game. far from destroying. but yeah, he has a ton of talent on those teams that made him look good.
Pat Devlin's my guy..
I don't know, he's almost like another, better Ken Dorsey to me: surrounded by NFL talent, not asked to carry the team, hasn't really had to face a ton of adversity, has a defense to cover up mistakes. I keep thinking of the NCG when Texas was just destroying him, once Colt went out so did the pressure and he was able to relax a little. Still didn't play all that well.

Quick Points

1. I agree that he has the potential to be another Ken Dorsey, but he doesn't have nearly the same level of NFL talent Dorsey did. McElroy has a better arm and more pocket presnece then Dorsey had coming out of Miami.

2. He didn't have to do anything in the NC last year b/c it was the Mark Ingram experience featuring McElroy. Saban's game plan was to grind out the run and play stout defense against a very strong offensive squad in Texas whose defense required their offense to put up a 21 point lead to survive (i.e. UCLA this year). As for the "destroying him" part, a lot of teams have good 1st quarters but forget that there's 60 minutes to play, not 15...think your orange is showing, lol

3. McElroy's probably the most underrated play action passer in college, which is HUGE for the NFL.

Overall, I think he has the capacity to be a pretty good qb, but more in the mold of a Trent Dilfer type, won't lose games but will require a run game to execute the play action.
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
I don't know, he's almost like another, better Ken Dorsey to me: surrounded by NFL talent, not asked to carry the team, hasn't really had to face a ton of adversity, has a defense to cover up mistakes. I keep thinking of the NCG when Texas was just destroying him, once Colt went out so did the pressure and he was able to relax a little. Still didn't play all that well.

Quick Points

1. I agree that he has the potential to be another Ken Dorsey, but he doesn't have nearly the same level of NFL talent Dorsey did. McElroy has a better arm and more pocket presnece then Dorsey had coming out of Miami.

2. He didn't have to do anything in the NC last year b/c it was the Mark Ingram experience featuring McElroy. Saban's game plan was to grind out the run and play stout defense against a very strong offensive squad in Texas whose defense required their offense to put up a 21 point lead to survive (i.e. UCLA this year). As for the "destroying him" part, a lot of teams have good 1st quarters but forget that there's 60 minutes to play, not 15...think your orange is showing, lol

3. McElroy's probably the most underrated play action passer in college, which is HUGE for the NFL.

Overall, I think he has the capacity to be a pretty good qb, but more in the mold of a Trent Dilfer type, won't lose games but will require a run game to execute the play action.

You really want to draft a Trent Dilfer type QB?
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:

Quick Points

Actually, Alabama came out throwing in that game, much like the FLorida game to try and catch Texas off guard. I beleive he was sacked on 3 of those first 2 drives and wildly erratic otherwise. Texas moved the ball at will on 2 drives, forced a turnover and was in complete control, that tends to have a snowball effect in those games. then McCoy gets knocked out as Texas was in scoring range. Completely changed the game and Alabama was able to go back to their game, which should have made things easy for McElroy but he stunk the whole game. Maybe I'm basing too much off one game, but again with everything in his favor (much like Sanchez in NY) when he faced an NFL caliber defense he wasn't any good. I see him carrying a clipboard in the NFL and nothing more.
Share 49ersWebzone