LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

How come nobody likes McElroy?

Honestly I kinda want to know. He's put together a pretty good season, almost 3000 yards, only 5 picks, 70% completions, and their team has been a bit dissapointing but through no fault of his own. Drops back from under center in a pro style O and he's had a few prolific games and he's really really accurate. Honestly, I'm kinda surprised everyone still looks at him as just a game manager on a running team. He's a good QB IMO.
like him a lot, very intriguing prospect
I think he gets lost in the QB debate.

you got the sexy picks, in Luck, Locker and Mallet, the fascination picks in Newton, the guys overhyped, in Ponder and then the sleepers like Devlin and Stanzi, then there is McElroy and a guuy I like also n Jerrod Johnson.

Basically because he isnt as sexy as those guys I mentioned, he wont be a day 1 pick, atleast not if draft was held now, but with good workouts and a good combine, he will quickly rise.

On a side note; I am a big McElroy fan. And he has like said by OP had productivity, and I cant understand the fascination with Newton, I just dont see it.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
its about time someone else comes out with I like Jerrod Johnson. If we could get him in the 4th-5th round I would be pretty happy...
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

you got the sexy picks, in Luck, Locker and Mallet, the fascination picks in Newton, the guys overhyped, in Ponder and then the sleepers like Devlin and Stanzi, then there is McElroy and a guuy I like also n Jerrod Johnson.

Basically because he isnt as sexy as those guys I mentioned, he wont be a day 1 pick, atleast not if draft was held now, but with good workouts and a good combine, he will quickly rise.

On a side note; I am a big McElroy fan. And he has like said by OP had productivity, and I cant understand the fascination with Newton, I just dont see it.

Damn AB, if I had more football expertise and was't so busy with college I should be a part of your site draftwatchers. We are on the exact same wavelength pretty much. I agree with you almost 100% on every single one of those things. Except I kind of like Ponder. He has dissapointed this season, but he's still a decent prospect around the 4th round IMO.
McElroy is an option, he is in the same book as Delvin with me. These are guys with the right tools to be successful pro qb's, and won't require an arm and leg to draft. I'd like our quaterback rotation to look like this next season;

Palmer ( I think he still has some good years ahead of him, just not in Cincy. A fresh start could really do some good for Carson.)
A.Smith or T.Smith (We have to keep one of them, and I think Alex has ran his course here.)
McElroy or Delvin (Let them sit 2-3 seasons, but still give them reps in pointless games. If we plan to let them develop it has to be with the same hc/oc the whole time.)
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
McElroy is an option, he is in the same book as Delvin with me. These are guys with the right tools to be successful pro qb's, and won't require an arm and leg to draft. I'd like our quaterback rotation to look like this next season;

Palmer ( I think he still has some good years ahead of him, just not in Cincy. A fresh start could really do some good for Carson.)
A.Smith or T.Smith (We have to keep one of them, and I think Alex has ran his course here.)
McElroy or Delvin (Let them sit 2-3 seasons, but still give them reps in pointless games. If we plan to let them develop it has to be with the same hc/oc the whole time.)

I would get an experienced vet like an Orton or Palmer or McNabb, and then I would take 2 QBs. Probably Ponder and McElroy, or Stanzi and McElroy, or maybe Devlin and McElroy. I'm pretty sure Stanzi will go in the 2nd or 3rd. McElroy and Devlin could go anywhere between 2-5 IMO. Ponder is a 4th or 5th but if he plays well in his bowl game after recovering from his injuries that could change.

btw I don't even really like Palmer and McNabb anymore, but they're both likely to be on the block so it's possible they could recapture their former magic. They'll probably both be FAs. Ideally I'd get Orton because he's showing he can still play at a high level but that'd probably be a trade. Then you probably only draft 1 QB and you maybe sign a random guy like Rex Grossman or someone.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

first round??? he is a good manager but not more, imo...4th-rounder at best so far.

He has a fantastic head of hair on him

IMO another John Parker Wilson....late round pick. He is a winner. but his tools set is not the best. Whoever said 1st Round is high.
You know I like McElroy and Ponder (if he can come back from injury)

They can pretty much make all the throws you need to make and from what I've read of their teammates, these two guys are great leaders on the field and in the locker room....

Look at a guy like Brady.. He wasn't even considered the best QB at Michigan when he was drafted, that label fell to Drew Henson. But he fell into a great situation at New England, he fit the system and the rest is history...

If the Niners go back to a West Coast offensive system, I can see McElroy or Ponder succeeding there if you have the right coaches to tutor ya know...

My ideal would be to bring in McNabb (I think his days in Washington are done) and let a rookie develop behind him for a few years.. i think with the talent we have already, and some of our offensive weapons, McNabb can thrive with that for a few years, and we'd have a winning record to boot...

Both Kolb and Vick (especially) developed behind the right coaching and learning behind McNabb... McNabb has a few good years left....

• jimrat
  • Veteran
He was on ESPN and was being interviewed via phone and I thought they where talking to a coach, very cerebral player.
Hes the classic Saban QB, just like wilson, Mauck, Flynn(scouted him to LSU). Just classic game managers, dont make any mistakes. McElroy isnt even the best QB on the roster and there were lots of rumblings from players this year that favored the back up QB over McElroy. Career backup at best.
Originally posted by jojomellon:
Hes the classic Saban QB, just like wilson, Mauck, Flynn(scouted him to LSU). Just classic game managers, dont make any mistakes. McElroy isnt even the best QB on the roster and there were lots of rumblings from players this year that favored the back up QB over McElroy. Career backup at best.

this....a ton of their fans along with some players complained about how he holds the ball way to long, and is very indecisive....this all when he still had yet to loose a game.

I agree, he is a career backup, I'll be surprised if he gets drafted at all.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I don't know, he's almost like another, better Ken Dorsey to me: surrounded by NFL talent, not asked to carry the team, hasn't really had to face a ton of adversity, has a defense to cover up mistakes. I keep thinking of the NCG when Texas was just destroying him, once Colt went out so did the pressure and he was able to relax a little. Still didn't play all that well.
Originally posted by TX9R:
I don't know, he's almost like another, better Ken Dorsey to me: surrounded by NFL talent, not asked to carry the team, hasn't really had to face a ton of adversity, has a defense to cover up mistakes. I keep thinking of the NCG when Texas was just destroying him, once Colt went out so did the pressure and he was able to relax a little. Still didn't play all that well.

this is one of the realest posts ive ever seen. well done sir
Share 49ersWebzone