There are 260 users in the forums

Forget Locker, Mallet and Newton, I want.....

Pat Devlin, here is an little piece ESPN Insider's NFL Draft Blog has on Delaware's Pat Devlin.

Originally posted by ESPN INSIDER:
Delaware QB Pat Devlin has led his team to the FCS championship game on January 7 against Eastern Washington, capping a solid season and becoming an even more intriguing draft prospect than he was coming into the year.

At 6-foot-3 and 225 pounds Devlin isn't as big as former Delaware and current Baltimore Ravens QB Joe Flacco, and Devlin's arm is not as strong as Flacco's, either. However, the two are similar in terms of poise and pocket presence when going through progressions. Devlin is able to feel and sidestep the pass rush and consistently get to his second and third options, and he has a great grasp of the offense and makes solid decisions (22 TD passes, 2 INT in 2010).

Devlin isn't the most mobile quarterback and will take his fair share of sacks, but he's functional in the pocket and shows intelligence. His accuracy could improve a bit but Devlin's overall skill set has positioned him in the late-third or early-fourth round area at this point and he could move up the board with a strong showing in all-star games and other pre-draft workouts.

My take on Devlin, he does not have the biggest arm, but he has accuracy and the insticts to become a good-great QB at the next level.

There are a very few guys I am watching for this draft season and Devlin is one of them, with Ayers and Kerrigan.
[ Edited by AB83Rules on Dec 20, 2010 at 7:15 PM ]
I admit I haven't watched him, but he sounds more like an offensive caretaker at QB as opposed to an NFL playmaker. Really not sure that's going to cut it.
Frankly, it seems like there's a lot of "he isn't X, BUT" qualities in that article.

As the poster above said, we need more of a game changer.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I admit I haven't watched him, but he sounds more like an offensive caretaker at QB as opposed to an NFL playmaker. Really not sure that's going to cut it.

If Singletary is HC, he'll be horrified at either type of prospect.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Yes Devlin!!! I like this guy...accurate....forget all the other crap, the kid is accurate which means he won't turn the ball over a whole lot....good size, good arm...
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Frankly, it seems like there's a lot of "he isn't X, BUT" qualities in that article.

As the poster above said, we need more of a game changer.

Who knows what type of recievers he has at Delaware. They obvously don't compete with the USC and Ohio States of the recruiting world. After a couple of years of development and playing with NFL Recievers I think he could be more of a playmaker than he is now. I'm not sure I would say Flacco is a great playmaking QB yet either, but he is competant and still growing as a player. I think his career could take a similar path as Flacco's. The biggest appeal Devlin has in my opinion is his Accuracy and pocket pressence; two traits a Niner QB hasn't had since Jeff Garcia.
I did miss the prior game -- however, I will be watching Devlin play on January 7th in the FCS Championship for sure.

Devlin, has "the tools" as they say, but beating up on DII teams is unimpressive often times to many scouts. Playing big in the big games will give him a lot more push as a legitimate prospect. That, plus a great combine would catapult his value.

We'll see what happens, but at this point I'm not sure much can be said definitively about Pat.
Of all the prospects that people have been throwing around Delvin has my attention the most. I think he has a crap load of upside. He could def be a buy low, reward high type of draft pick. I don't see why people always have to point out a lack of arm strength, they said the same things about Drew Brees, now look at him. I would like to see us retain one of the Smiths, go after a vet and then draft Delvin and let him develop for 2-3.
I wouldn't mind if we went after him.

As an undrafted free agent.

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Pat Devlin, here is an little piece ESPN Insider's NFL Draft Blog has on Delaware's Pat Devlin.

Originally posted by ESPN INSIDER:
Delaware QB Pat Devlin has led his team to the FCS championship game on January 7 against Eastern Washington, capping a solid season and becoming an even more intriguing draft prospect than he was coming into the year.

At 6-foot-3 and 225 pounds Devlin isn't as big as former Delaware and current Baltimore Ravens QB Joe Flacco, and Devlin's arm is not as strong as Flacco's, either. However, the two are similar in terms of poise and pocket presence when going through progressions. Devlin is able to feel and sidestep the pass rush and consistently get to his second and third options, and he has a great grasp of the offense and makes solid decisions (22 TD passes, 2 INT in 2010).

Devlin isn't the most mobile quarterback and will take his fair share of sacks, but he's functional in the pocket and shows intelligence. His accuracy could improve a bit but Devlin's overall skill set has positioned him in the late-third or early-fourth round area at this point and he could move up the board with a strong showing in all-star games and other pre-draft workouts.

My take on Devlin, he does not have the biggest arm, but he has accuracy and the insticts to become a good-great QB at the next level.

There are a very few guys I am watching for this draft season and Devlin is one of them, with Ayers and Kerrigan.
would you care about that guy, if there weren't any flacco anywhere in the nfl?
He looks decent, but I think I'd much rather take a look at Locker than Devlin.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I like that quick release!
Originally posted by Eduardo75:

4th-5th round at best but I like him
Originally posted by Eduardo75:

I haz a confuse

when people talk about "release" are they talking about how quickly he throws the ball or how fast the motion on his delivery is?

because if we're talking about quick throws, I'm not gonna be impressed at all when they guy has 4-5 WR's half of the time out there
Share 49ersWebzone