LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

plan for getting luck

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We are going to go 7 - 9, win the division, get a home game in the playoffs and we are going to deal up to #1 also and get Luck. Then we will deal up again and get Patrick Peterson. We will deal up a 3rd time and get Julio Jones. Then we will get Harbaugh to be our coach. The Yorks will open the vault and get Holmgren to be our GM. We will build a new stadium better than the Cowboys stadium and it will be ready for next season.

Siiiiiiiiicck!!! I like it.
SOMEBODY SEND ME A LINK OR SOMETHING THAT PROVES THIS GUY IS SO GOOD. I YOUTUBED HIM AND SAW NOTHING BUT A DECENT QUARTERBACK.

please.. i need to see the film.
Originally posted by tondiman:
SOMEBODY SEND ME A LINK OR SOMETHING THAT PROVES THIS GUY IS SO GOOD. I YOUTUBED HIM AND SAW NOTHING BUT A DECENT QUARTERBACK.

He's good. But he's no Peyton Manning.
sooooooo you want to trade away the entire team just for one player? how did that work out for Ditka??
I like Luck and all, but this is beyond insane. It isn't worth it and there are other QBs available. This is where quality coaching, drafting, and scouting comes into play. Regardless as to what QB we draft, if we have a good evalator of talent and a good coaching staff in place, it could be Newton, Mallet, Stanzi, or some other QB and we should still turn out ok in the longrun.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
How about we convince John Fox to trade the Panthers pick for Carr just so he can stick it to his owner for making him coach in the last year of his contract without trying to acquire any talent. Then hire him ourselves!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KID9R:
How about we convince John Fox to trade the Panthers pick for Carr just so he can stick it to his owner for making him coach in the last year of his contract without trying to acquire any talent. Then hire him ourselves!

I think the last time i remember that happening was when Carmen Policy drafted Jim Druckenmiller over Jake Plummer and a week later left for Cleveland.
[ Edited by Jcool on Dec 20, 2010 at 8:39 AM ]
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
So you want us to trade away a potential Hall of Fame player. Our best defender, to move up only 5 spots, then trade our first and Crabtree to move up 2 spots? That's seriously the worst idea I've heard yet. I'd love to have Luck, but not at the expense of getting rid of Willis and our only legit WR we have. Thank you, come back and try again when you have a better plan.

owned

OK, enjoy Troy Smith in 2011

Why don't you try to debate your side of things with the posters who aren't outright flaming or laughing at you.

ok.fair enough..though to be honest i find that not too many here on the web zone actually appreciate a good debate...some would rather just fire off a smart aleck derogatory comment, i guess it makes them feel better about themselves..and i dont care if anyone is laughing, maybe that reflects more on them...

i understand and appreciate the arguments against the original post...it would be alot to give up for just one player...i tried to offer arguments in anticpation of those thought out responses...williis is a great player, but how much of an impact has he had? he hasnt transformed the defense into a playoff caliber unit---sure it is a team game, but a great qb can transform a team alot more than a middle linebacker

giving up crabtree isnt much of a loss if it gets you a star qb..crabtree has disappointed and you can find a wr in the draft aot easier than you can find a star qb

luck is an unproven player---but all players in the draft are--some say he is the best qb prospect in 20 years...if your player personnel dept thinks that, why not go get him, even if you have to give up alot...would you make a trade like the one i proposed for peyton manning the year he came out?

one thing i think we can all agree on is that what the niners are doing now isnt and hasnt been working...bill walsh made the niners by being daring...he gave up 3 picks for an unproven player named jerry rice...traded for a qb on a lsoing team in steve young...signed old wily vets like hacksaw reynolds, russ francis...niners need an innvator like that again, i think

to those who have offered gentlemenly arguments against the post, thank you..that is what a good debate should be...to those who just offered the derogatory comments, i guess we have nothing to talk about, if you feel i was owned it is a hollow victory for you cause i could really give a crap....to those who say the niners arent going to get luck, end of debate--i originally came up with this post to address thise comments because i think there is a way that niners could trade up (maybe having to make a couple of deals)==the question would be whether it would be worth the price
So you want us to trade away a potential Hall of Fame player. Our best defender, to move up only 5 spots, then trade our first and Crabtree to move up 2 spots? That's seriously the worst idea I've heard yet. I'd love to have Luck, but not at the expense of getting rid of Willis and our only legit WR we have. Thank you, come back and try again when you have a better plan.

owned

Why don't you try to debate your side of things with the posters who aren't outright flaming or laughing at you.

ok.fair enough..though to be honest i find that not too many here on the web zone actually appreciate a good debate...some would rather just fire off a smart aleck derogatory comment, i guess it makes them feel better about themselves..and i dont care if anyone is laughing, maybe that reflects more on them...

i understand and appreciate the arguments against the original post...it would be alot to give up for just one player...i tried to offer arguments in anticpation of those thought out responses...williis is a great player, but how much of an impact has he had? he hasnt transformed the defense into a playoff caliber unit---sure it is a team game, but a great qb can transform a team alot more than a middle linebacker

giving up crabtree isnt much of a loss if it gets you a star qb..crabtree has disappointed and you can find a wr in the draft aot easier than you can find a star qb

luck is an unproven player---but all players in the draft are--some say he is the best qb prospect in 20 years...if your player personnel dept thinks that, why not go get him, even if you have to give up alot...would you make a trade like the one i proposed for peyton manning the year he came out?

one thing i think we can all agree on is that what the niners are doing now isnt and hasnt been working...bill walsh made the niners by being daring...he gave up 3 picks for an unproven player named jerry rice...traded for a qb on a lsoing team in steve young...signed old wily vets like hacksaw reynolds, russ francis...niners need an innvator like that again, i think

to those who have offered gentlemenly arguments against the post, thank you..that is what a good debate should be...to those who just offered the derogatory comments, i guess we have nothing to talk about, if you feel i was owned it is a hollow victory for you cause i could really give a crap....to those who say the niners arent going to get luck, end of debate--i originally came up with this post to address thise comments because i think there is a way that niners could trade up (maybe having to make a couple of deals)==the question would be whether it would be worth the price

Willis is gameplanned against every game. They zero in on him always trying to take him out of plays. Hence why Takeo is having a great year. And in all honest, if u told me let's trade Crabtree and our 1st for the top pick and maybe an extra pick, I'd be for it. I think Crabtree has a chance to be great, but like you said you can find WRs anywhere in the draft. I'm just opposed to moving Willis. He is our heart on D and a potential HoFer. You don't just trade that away.

owned

didn't mean to dump on your post bro, let me put some actual reasons behind my not liking it...

the NFL draft is, and has always been, a coin toss. heads or tails, it's a fifty-fifty proposition if luck is ANY good in his NFL career. we do this every year, hype the heck out of certain QBs, yet i can rattle off as many high pick busts as you can successful picks. even if a qb isn't an out and out bust like russell, some that 'pan out' do so like Carson Palmer has in Cincinnati, just good enough to win the job long term but not good enough to ever win a playoff game. Consider it this way...

QB Cam Newton (or Locker take your pick)
WR Crabtree
MLB Willis
2011 #1 pick - kept

vs.

QB Luck
WR Morgan
MLB Spikes
2011 #1 pick - traded to Carolina

only those who've drunk the Luck kool-aid would take the 2nd option

• evil
  • Veteran

owned

I'll commend you for actually taking the time to defend your viewpoint. But I disagree with the idea or notion to trade away those 2 players.

As I said in another thread, as we get deeper into the offseason (Senior Bowl, Combine, Pro Days) and there is a better understanding for the drop off from Luck to Newton/Mallet/Locker and a better sense of those prospects true potential and upside I may be more open to the idea or using Crabtree as trade bait should the need be. As of right now I wouldn't deal him. Crabtree has untapped potential and upside still. He def. still has a lot of room to improve and grow, and needs to work harder or so his on field performance leads us to believe that.

WR's develop at different rates, and usually need 3 years to come into their own. If you look at recent draft success with the WR position, less than 5% of WR's taken between the 3rd and the 7th rounds go on to become #1's or #2's. That means finding a WR will require us to invest a top pick, unless we can find one via FA which will likely mean slightly overpaying at the least.

As for Willis, he is arguably the most popular player amongst the fanbase, and the face of this franchise right now. He sets the tone for our defense and is a strong leader, the fact that he leads by example on the field and let's his play do his talking not his mouth is exactly what we need more of on this football team. He possesses a strong work ethic and teams do have to gameplan for him. He is our Ray Lewis, and while we could replace him, it would be unwise. Special players like him are not in every draft class and he still has some room to improve further and could stand for us to add a little more talent around him making it harder for teams to gameplan around him and helping him become an even more dominant force on the field.

We would be better off sacrificing future draft picks than the heart and soul of this franchise for an unproven player. There are no such things as a lock in the NFL draft and if Luck happened to bust, the decision to trade Willis would be an epic fail, hurting not only the franchises fanbase but further setting the franchise back in becoming a winner once again. As for sacrificing draft picks, we can't go all Mike Ditka in looking to obtain the franchise QB either, in this day and age of the NFL we should look at a team that has dominated this decade as a role model the Patriots in the sense they have always stockpiled picks to keep their talent cupboards full (granted they have Tom Terrific at QB). Whenever a player leaves they are always in a position where they hold enough chips to trade or draft his replacement (with going all Mike Ditka), if said replacement isn't already on the team.

We don't want to overdo the number of picks we are trading away to find a QB IMHO, as those chips will be incredibly valuable once the QB is found (strong depth on a football team is essential in this era). Which is a huge reason this team needs to find a QB guru in the offseason (be it a HC or OC who can find us a QB that will truly lead this franchise so we can play to win games not play not to lose games).
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We are going to go 7 - 9, win the division, get a home game in the playoffs and we are going to deal up to #1 also and get Luck. Then we will deal up again and get Patrick Peterson. We will deal up a 3rd time and get Julio Jones. Then we will get Harbaugh to be our coach. The Yorks will open the vault and get Holmgren to be our GM. We will build a new stadium better than the Cowboys stadium and it will be ready for next season.

Yes
Originally posted by tondiman:

Share 49ersWebzone