LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Mel Kiper examines the 49ers draft possibilities

8. San Francisco 49ers Top needs: QB, DE

Pick strategy: I'll repeat what I said about Arizona: It needs a resolution at QB. If the Cards don't intend to get one in the market, Mallett or Newton could fit in San Francisco, and this is also the outer range of where I could see a team falling in love with Locker's potential -- though San Fran has been dealing with a gifted athlete who can't be accurate for years in Alex Smith, so I think that should scare it off. If the Niners don't go QB, Quinn or even Ryan Kerrigan or Adrian Clayborn could get a look.
Did he basically say that Locker is inaccurate?
Originally posted by teeohh:

No Locker was injured this year. And I wouldn't call Alex Smith a gifted athlete compared to Locker.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 17, 2010 at 10:29 PM ]
I don't want to see us go with a QB or DE in the first. We need playmakers in the secondary before anything else. Mel Kiper also compared Jamarcus Russell to Jon Elway, so his opinion is worth as much as a drop of dog crap to me. I think we can find a capable pass rusher in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, as far as QB we can see who's on the FA market and bring Alex back for one more run. Because I think Alex's problems can be covered up by a goof OC until we find a replacement.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

No Locker was injured this year. And I wouldn't call Alex Smith a gifted athlete compared to Locker.

• okdkid
  • Veteran

_____

Don't let your hatred of Alex Smith the QB blind you. He IS a gifted athlete, otherwise he would have never been a first overall pick or even considered in the first round to begin with. Alex Smith was a better prospect coming out of college than Locker is now. Fact. Alex Smith was not getting past the 5th pick overall in his draft. That has been well documented.
Originally posted by okdkid:

_____

Don't let your hatred of Alex Smith the QB blind you. He IS a gifted athlete, otherwise he would have never been a first overall pick or even considered in the first round to begin with. Alex Smith was a better prospect coming out of college than Locker is now. Fact. Alex Smith was not getting past the 5th pick overall in his draft. That has been well documented.

I don't hate him. He's just not as good of an athlete as Locker who is all world as an athlete.

Alex was the projected #1 on most boards and most mocks. Not the revisionist historians on this board which tell you Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers was 6'1 1/2" and Alex was 6'4" and more athletic. Easy to see who you pick there. Hindsight is 20 / 20. But at the time Alex was the pick.
Originally posted by PTulini:
8. San Francisco 49ers Top needs: QB, DE

Pick strategy: I'll repeat what I said about Arizona: It needs a resolution at QB. If the Cards don't intend to get one in the market, Mallett or Newton could fit in San Francisco, and this is also the outer range of where I could see a team falling in love with Locker's potential -- though San Fran has been dealing with a gifted athlete who can't be accurate for years in Alex Smith, so I think that should scare it off. If the Niners don't go QB, Quinn or even Ryan Kerrigan or Adrian Clayborn could get a look.

Kiper misses again, Since we run a 3-4 and i like justin smith and ray ray who showed that he was the only guy who could get pressure once justin smith left the game. I say Outside Lb, and secondary. Qb... After watching the packers the chargers, and the eagles its safe to say i've learned we have only 1 cb named spencer and he's a solid number 2 at best. Their is no one, on the other side of lawson. And well we haven't had a qb since Jeff Garcia!
The Niners need pass rush help, regardless of whether we stay in the 3-4 or move to a 4-3. In the end, the GM and new coach will figure out what direction they want to take the team at QB. I'd like to see the team switch spots with Philly in this draft for the first couple rounds in an acquisition for Kolb.

Philly might be willing to move Kolb to spring up 18-20 slots to get a key final piece of the puzzle. I'd work that phone line hard.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 18, 2010 at 3:05 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The Niners need pass rush help, regardless of whether we stay in the 3-4 or move to a 4-3. In the end, the GM and new coach will figure out what direction they want to take the team at QB. I'd like to see the team switch spots with Philly in this draft for the first couple rounds in an acquisition for Kolb.

Philly might be willing to move Kolb to spring up 18-20 slots to get a key final piece of the puzzle. I'd work that phone line hard.

I agree, find a way to get Kolb. He'd look dandy in a Niner uniform.

Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

I agree, find a way to get Kolb. He'd look dandy in a Niner uniform.

Only if we have a WCO in place here. If its another offense, it will take time like any rookie to learn it.

Lockers career stats.

2007 = 47.3% completion rate 14 TD's, 15 INT's
2008 = 53.8% completion rate I'm gonna guess he was hurt?
2009 = 58.2% completion rate 21 TD's. 11 INT's
2010 = 56.6% completion rate 17 TD's , 9 INT's

You cant keep using the "He was hurt argument here" He didnt get hurt until the season was almost over, sometime in the Stanford game. You are blind in your support. Look at his body of work. If a qb cant succed in college, how is he gonna do it in the NFL? I agree with Mel here. Why do we want to draft the same sort of QB, that we have had in Alex? At least Alex had years of over 65% completion rate in college. If a top prospect cant get over 65% rate in college, what makes you think that he would do better in the pros? And if he cant lead his team to win consistently, what makes you think he can do it in the pros?
Originally posted by 23zack80:

I laughed when I read that - gifted athlete?

Al is gifted in the class room, not on the playing field.

Locker can't be that bad.
[ Edited by RogerCraig on Dec 18, 2010 at 7:19 AM ]
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

Lockers career stats.

2007 = 47.3% completion rate 14 TD's, 15 INT's
2008 = 53.8% completion rate I'm gonna guess he was hurt?
2009 = 58.2% completion rate 21 TD's. 11 INT's
2010 = 56.6% completion rate 17 TD's , 9 INT's

You cant keep using the "He was hurt argument here" He didnt get hurt until the season was almost over, sometime in the Stanford game. You are blind in your support. Look at his body of work. If a qb cant succed in college, how is he gonna do it in the NFL? I agree with Mel here. Why do we want to draft the same sort of QB, that we have had in Alex? At least Alex had years of over 65% completion rate in college. If a top prospect cant get over 65% rate in college, what makes you think that he would do better in the pros? And if he cant lead his team to win consistently, what makes you think he can do it in the pros?
now why are the scouts are so high at him despite those stats???
Originally posted by okdkid:

_____

I don't hate him. He's just not as good of an athlete as Locker who is all world as an athlete.

Alex was the projected #1 on most boards and most mocks. Not the revisionist historians on this board which tell you Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers was 6'1 1/2" and Alex was 6'4" and more athletic. Easy to see who you pick there. Hindsight is 20 / 20. But at the time Alex was the pick.

who have a serious hard on for Locker
Share 49ersWebzone