LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

12/15 Top 12 Mock Draft (we take Newton at #12)

Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by Draftology:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
Horrendous pick at #12.

Of all the QBs who might be available in the draft, I want Cam Newton LEAST

College option/running/gimmick offense QBs equate to pro GARBAGE.

Yes, Newton had a monster season and won the Heisman, but it terms of sitting in the pocket, reading a defense, anticipating a WR getting open and throwing to a spot, Newton will be an EPIC FAIL.

Newton is Alex Smith, JaMarcus Russell, and Vince Young all rolled up into one unimpressive package.

Way to go, "Veteran."

PASS.

Cam didn't run a gimmick offense, and he is more physically talented than Smith, Russell, and Vince Young.

He didn't play in a pro-style offense, but neither did Donovan McNabb...or Michael Vick.

Look at the criticism McNabb was facing in 1999 when he was coming out for being an option quarterback:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/1999/nfldraft/news/1999/04/12/mcnabb/
I know it sounds strange, but there were very few quarterbacks EVER that were more physically talented than Russell. He had size, mobility, and one of the best arms ever. To be as big of a bust as he was, he had to be talented. He just happened to be brain dead

Why does everyone think that Russell was a mobile QB? He was never a mobile QB in college.
Relative to his size he was. He was outside of the pocket all the time. He ran the 40 in 4.85 seconds. For comparison, Tebow ran a 4.7 and Colt McCoy ran a 4.79. Those guys are both considered mobile quarterbacks and they are both waaaay smaller than Russell

lmao....he was never mobile. If you ever watched the SEC week in, and week out, you will remember Russel was strictly a pocket passer.

'04 - 26 carries for -41 yards for a wopping -1.6 ypc acg.
'05 - 61 carries for -22 yards for a mind blowing -0.4 ypc avg.
'06 - 52 carries for 142 yards for an earth shattering 2.7 ypc avg.

So does his 40 time mean that he was mobile for his size? lmao....No. Thats why I say that in no way was Russell ever considered to be a mobile qb. ever. The comparisons to he and Newton need to end.
I'm not saying he's as fast as Newton, and I'm not saying he is a mobile QB. I'm saying he has mobility relative to his size. He could move behind the line of scrimmage very well for someone who is 6'6" 270 lbs. Plus those 2006 rushing statistics are not bad considering I bet a lot of those carries are him avoiding pressure and getting tackled at or a yard or two in front of the line of scrimmage.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Not bad I'm down with taking Cam. I don't see Tenn taking another De though. Babin has been a nice surprise and they seem to coach up d lineman. They could go a lot of different ways. I think Denver is also a wild card team that could draft numerous positions including qb.

Babin will be a free agent though (someone we should strongly consider, btw).

Yes they should. He plays aggressive and angry

Not bad I'm down with taking Cam. I don't see Tenn taking another De though. Babin has been a nice surprise and they seem to coach up d lineman. They could go a lot of different ways. I think Denver is also a wild card team that could draft numerous positions including qb.

On Tennessee, I didn't know where to go, but most of the mocks out there have them taking another DE.

With Denver, I don't think they go quarterback. Orton is playing very well and the fans absolutely LOVE Tebow here in colorado.

I thought Orton was a free agent, and with a coaching change I can see that coach wanting his own qb. Though they did give up a lot for Tebow. I think they should let him start these last few games
Horrendous pick at #12.

Yes, Newton had a monster season and won the Heisman, but it terms of sitting in the pocket, reading a defense, anticipating a WR getting open and throwing to a spot, Newton will be an EPIC FAIL.

Newton is Alex Smith, JaMarcus Russell, and Vince Young all rolled up into one unimpressive package.

Way to go, "Veteran."

PASS.

Cam didn't run a gimmick offense, and he is more physically talented than Smith, Russell, and Vince Young.

He didn't play in a pro-style offense, but neither did Donovan McNabb...or Michael Vick.

Look at the criticism McNabb was facing in 1999 when he was coming out for being an option quarterback:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/1999/nfldraft/news/1999/04/12/mcnabb/
I know it sounds strange, but there were very few quarterbacks EVER that were more physically talented than Russell. He had size, mobility, and one of the best arms ever. To be as big of a bust as he was, he had to be talented. He just happened to be brain dead

Why does everyone think that Russell was a mobile QB? He was never a mobile QB in college.
Relative to his size he was. He was outside of the pocket all the time. He ran the 40 in 4.85 seconds. For comparison, Tebow ran a 4.7 and Colt McCoy ran a 4.79. Those guys are both considered mobile quarterbacks and they are both waaaay smaller than Russell

lmao....he was never mobile. If you ever watched the SEC week in, and week out, you will remember Russel was strictly a pocket passer.

So does his 40 time mean that he was mobile for his size? lmao....No. Thats why I say that in no way was Russell ever considered to be a mobile qb. ever. The comparisons to he and Newton need to end.
I'm not saying he's as fast as Newton, and I'm not saying he is a mobile QB. I'm saying he has mobility relative to his size. He could move behind the line of scrimmage very well for someone who is 6'6" 270 lbs. Plus those 2006 rushing statistics are not bad considering I bet a lot of those carries are him avoiding pressure and getting tackled at or a yard or two in front of the line of scrimmage.

then why try to defend my stance on he is not a mobile qb? his size in college his last year was 250. you were basing your argument that he was a mobile qb according to his 40 time

and no russell was not an impressive runner, 142 rushing yards in 13 games is not that great, no matter how you cut it.

Yes they should. He plays aggressive and angry

On Tennessee, I didn't know where to go, but most of the mocks out there have them taking another DE.

With Denver, I don't think they go quarterback. Orton is playing very well and the fans absolutely LOVE Tebow here in colorado.

I thought Orton was a free agent, and with a coaching change I can see that coach wanting his own qb. Though they did give up a lot for Tebow. I think they should let him start these last few games

Orton got a contract extension, and Pat Bowlen is a REAL owner who actually cares about his franchise. He is not going to allow a #1 to be squandered, and he also understands how popular Tebow is to the fanbase.
Horrendous pick at #12.

Way to go, "Veteran."

PASS.

You are a huge tool dude.
It's just his opinion but I guess I didn't realize how important a mock draft is to you.

Now to the mock...I've heard that Champ will almost definitely be back but I still think they could take a corner early. I really hope Mallett goes before our pick because I dont even want to sit through our draft pick with the thought that that garbage QB will be on our team.

Newton to me is a much better runner and passer than Vince Young was at this point and has huge upside. I wouldnt be opposed to the pick. People bash VY and while I agree his immature, he's still like 30-17 as a starter in Tennessee while Kerry Collins is around .500 with the same team. So if Newton is a better version like I believe, I'm down.
Horrendous pick at #12.

Way to go, "Veteran."

PASS.

then why try to defend my stance on he is not a mobile qb? his size in college his last year was 250. you were basing your argument that he was a mobile qb according to his 40 time

and no russell was not an impressive runner, 142 rushing yards in 13 games is not that great, no matter how you cut it.
Read the argument. This all started because I said he had MOBILITY. Tom Brady has mobility. It does not mean he is a mobile quarterback. Relative to his size, JaMarcus Russell has good mobility. That has been my argument this entire time
If Josh Freeman can go #17 to the Bucs, then Cam Newton is a sure top 15 pick.

Right now, my biggest concerns are character issues.
Horrendous pick at #12.

Way to go, "Veteran."

PASS.

Read the argument. This all started because I said he had MOBILITY. Tom Brady has mobility. It does not mean he is a mobile quarterback. Relative to his size, JaMarcus Russell has good mobility. That has been my argument this entire time

ok then

but the comparisons to him and Newton are rediculous. thats not at you, that is too many posters here thinking that they are/were the same.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Horrendous pick at #12.

Way to go, "Veteran."

PASS.

Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I did a mock versus yours, I put my picks in bold and explain if I agree or disagree. Enjoy.

1. CAR (1-15) - QB Andrew Luck, Stanford. I still feel that Carolina has way too many needs and already took Clausen last year, but everyone else seems to think Luck is a no-brainer to Carolina

1. CAR (1-15)-QB, Andrew Luck, Stanford; This pretty much a no brainer, Carolina not only needs a QB but a proven leader. I think Luck can change Carolina's "luck" and make them a viable force in the NFC South again. I would probley keep Clausen because I feel he can be molded into a solid starter and traded down the line. Maybe the Panthers can bring in a serviceable vet to help shape their young guns.

2. DET (3-13) - CB Patrick Peterson, LSU. Huge need, great player.

2. DET (3-13) - CB Patrick Peterson, LSU; Corner is a huge need for the Lions, but I feel there are other ways to address this need. Between using 2nd-3rd round picks and free agency. I would personally trade down some spots and see if I can snag AJ Green to pair with Calvin Johnson aka Megatron, Jahvid Best and Brandon Petigrew will give Matt Stafford a load of toys to play with for years to come. But given the Lions shaky draft history with drafting wide receivers, I would just draft Peterson who is an absolute beast and would be a great addition to the defense with Shu.

3. DEN (3-13) - CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska. Replaces Champ Bailey who will probably not be back next year.

3. DEN (3-13) - Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson. The Broncos are ranked 28th overall in defense and dead last in sacks. Part of the poor stats are in part due to the pre-season loss of Elvis Dummerville. Even with that loss I expect more from the Broncos defense, and with so many holes on this Broncos team you can't go wrong by drafting defense early.

4. CIN (3-13) - DE Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson. The NFL's worst pass-rush gets a major upgrade.

4. CIN (3-13) - QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas; Sure the defense was horrible this year, but last year the defense was one of the leagues best, but the coach and coordinators didn't add any new dynamics to the defense nor hold players accountable for bad play. I think the Bengals need a coaching change to help fix problems on the defensive side of the ball. A bigger concern is at quaterback, Carson Palmer has failed to produce at a high level and has been bothered by injuries. Ryan Mallett posses all the skills needed to be a NFL QB and gives the Bengals a new outlook on life.

5. BUF (4-12) - DL Nick Fairley, Auburn. Buffalo gets an unstoppable force that can play in almost any scheme at any D-Line position.

5. BUF (4-12) - Marcell Dareus, DE/DT, Alabama; Nick Fairley has had an incredible season but due to concerns with dirty play and Fairley being a one season wonder I would pass and opt in for the more proven Dareus to help beef up with Bills anemic defense.

6. ARI (5-11) - Dl Marcell Darius, Alabama. Arizona wants to win now, and does not have time to develop a quarterback. So, Arizona opts to shore up the Defensive line.

6. ARI (5-11) - WR A.J. Green, Georgia; Arizona desperately misses Anquan Boldin, not only was he a force of nature on the field but he was the heart of this team. While Green may not fill the void of being an emotional leader, he adds instant offense and would be a nice target along side Fitz and Steve Breaston for whatever middle of the road QB the Cards pick up (Carson Palmer, Alex Smith).

7. TEN (5-11) - DE Robert Quinn, North Carolina. If I were the Titans, I would release Vince Young and start over at QB, but Bud Adams is in love with Young and probably isn't going anywhere. They Drafted Derrick Morgan at #15 last year, but he was put on the IR. With Quinn and Morgan in the future, they'll have bookend DEs for a long time.

7. TEN (5-11) - DE/DT Nick Fairley, Auburn; I agree that the Titans should move on with Vince Young, he obviously has some severe emotional issues most probley caused by Bud Adams babying him. Whatever the problem is with Vince, Jeff Fisher won't be there to deal with it anymore, as the Titans are sure to change coaches. If I'm a incoming coach I would want no parts of Albert Haynesworth, lets go with Fairley to help add instant defense in a division where defense is essential.

8. SEA (6-10) - QB Jake Locker, Washington. A Dream come true for Pete Carroll.

8. SEA (6-10) - QB Jake Locker, Washington; If I had to count on one quaterback in this draft being a bust it would be Locker. For the sole purpose of me being a 49ers fan please draft him Pete Carroll.

9. WAS (6-10) - WR AJ Green, Georgia. Major upgrade for the redskins -- will make McNabb look a lot better.

9. WAS (6-10) - DE Robert Quinn, North Carolina; The Albert Haynesworth experiment obviously didn't work out and the Redskins are in need of more offensive weapons but I feel defense should always be a top priority over skill positions. Let's start repairing the Haynesworth mistake by adding a beast of a pass rusher.

10. DAL (6-10) - De Adrian Clayborn, Iowa. A beast of a 3-4 DE. His off-the-field concerns are no issue for the Cowboys.

10. DAL (6-10) - Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska; Amukamara is a proven playmaker when the pass rush is there, I'm sure Demarcus Ware and Jay Ratliff will bring the pressure forcing quaterbacks into bad throws that Amukamara can capitalize off of. Terrance Newman and Mike Jenkins are highly inconsistent and
options for replacements need to be put in order.

11. MIN (6-10) - QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas. Biggest need at this point, unless they make a trade for Kevin Kolb or something like that.

11. MIN (6-10) - QB Cameron Newton, Auburn. I think NFL teams will be reluctant to take Cam with a pick higher than the Vikings will have. With Cameron being the best QB option left at this position the Vikings will be forced to take him and hope for the best. If he does develop I can only dream of the havoc All Day, Sidney Rice, and Percy Harvin will cause with a weapon like Newton at QB. For this to work they have to get a QB guru in Minnesota to help develop Cam.

12. SF (7-9) - QB Cam Newton, Auburn. I expect us to have an offensive-minded coach in 2011, and they will be salivating over Cam Newton's potential. CB is a major, major need, but this is too high for Brandon Harris, and the top two CBs are already gone...but Harris could be the call here if they don't like Newton. Newton meets every requirement of an NFL quarterback, but is very raw. What sets him apart from other physical freaks that have come out at quarterback is his intangibles. He is a leader and has all the intangibles. He can sit for a year or so behind Alex Smith and maybe play a little wildcat.

12. SF (7-9) - I doubt very seriously that we draft this high, and that we will have a new coach seeing as how I'm sure we will make the playoffs and that will buy Sing one more season (which he deserves) to prove that he can grown and become a well rounded head coach. With the possibility of there being a work stoppage, I think it would be hard to find a legit replacement, until AFTER the CBA is worked out, which can really stunt our off-season progression. Drafting Cam Newton would only delay the progress of our offense and could possibly end up worse as previous attempts to find the heir to our rich quaterback history. The only way I take Cam is if we pay Steve Young enough to leave ESPN and become our quaterbacks coach with a soul purpose of molding Cam. With that being said I think we need to address the weakest spot on our defense and draft the best corner possible...Brandon Harris, CB, Miami. He has the potential to be a great shutdown corner within a season or two, he comes from a school rich in history when it comes to producing great NFL talent. Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Johnathan Vilma, Brandon Merriweather, and the great late Sean Taylor to name a few. Adding a hall of fame corner like Champ Bailey would help ensure the success of not only Harris but maybe a free agent corner like Eric Wright if we can talk into coming out west from Cleveland.

Wow, great feedback. Some comments:

On Denver: I live in Colorado, so I get a pretty good look at this team, I don't think they get another pass-rusher because that is simply too much invested into the D-line w/ the money they've invested in Dumervil. But in the secondary, they're hurting bad. They traded up for Alfonso Smith and he was a major bust after only one season...Parish Cox beat him out for the slot, and it looks like he'll be going upstate for rape. And Champ Bailey is probably leaving.

On Cincy: This is a very tough question. A lot of people assume Carson Palmer will be gone, but there's a good possibility he breaks out of this funk. He is still in the middle 1/3 of passers in the NFL, and it just doesn't make sense in my mind to start all over. What are the chances the quarterback they draft pans out to that level?

On Buffalo: Fairley v. Dareus...that is a debate that will continue until draft day.

On Arizona: I was close to putting AJ Green in this spot, but Fitz-Bolden was something that Wisenhunt inherited when he got there...he wants to build the Steelers out in the Desert. That's why I think they go defense.

On Tennessee: The real wild-card in the Top 10. Quinn or Fairley would both be good choices here. I went with Quinn because I think there's a chance Haynesworth goes back to Tennessee.

On the Skins: They have the worst WR Corps in the NFL, and its in need of serious upgrade. If Green is gone, we could see Julio Jones go here...or a trade-down.

On Dallas: If Prince Amukamara is there, only a fool would pass on him...I just don't think he'd fall this far...no way.

On Minnesota: Cam Newton works there too.

On the Niners: You make a convincing argument on 2011. I am confident we'll go 7-9, but I don't know if we're going to win the division or not...I am getting increasingly concerned that the Rams are going to beat the Chiefs for the Governors' Cup on Sunday (and we lose to SD)...we then beat STL and SEA, but finish 7-9 and miss the playoffs (I think Seattle is done).

But Brandon Harris could be a great pick in the teens or low 20s...even higher if he works out well at the combine. If we're picking at #21 with a playoff spot, Von Miller as a pass rusher is also intriguing...would fit well in our system.

Also starting to feel that the best option at QB for 2011 is to re-sign Alex Smith (if he wants to) and draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I agree with a lot of this. I would probley redo my Denver pick, I forgot about McDaniels sending off Smith, and Parrish is about to do a bid.

Originally posted by jojomellon:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by communist:
russell had physical abilites??? if you consider the ability to pass protect yourself as a physical ability, then yes.

he had probably the strongest arm out of any recent QB's

Yeah. Not sure what communist is thinking at all unless he just started watching football in the last year or two. Mel Kiper called Russell the best QB prospect since John Elway. Rewatch the 07 draft. Guy had an absolute cannon and could move around very well for a big man, much in the same fashion as a young Culpepper did. To say he had no physical abilities is just wrong.
i saw what he did in oakland...a cannon-arm was his only physical ability, so whats your problem?
Draft order is based on the projections I made for wins over the final 3 weeks. I have us going 7-9 and picking 12th, with the Rams going 8-8 and winning the division. Of course, if we win the division at 7-9, we'll be picking in the 20s.

I have us taking Cam Newton at #12. Depending on how fast the Newton hype machine is running, he may be a Top 3 pick before this is all over. Brandon Harris is an option for us at #12 as well. Seattle and Washington get the best value in the first round, snagging Jake Locker (SEA) and AJ Green (WAS).

1. CAR (1-15) - QB Andrew Luck, Stanford. I still feel that Carolina has way too many needs and already took Clausen last year, but everyone else seems to think Luck is a no-brainer to Carolina

2. DET (3-13) - CB Patrick Peterson, LSU. Huge need, great player.

3. DEN (3-13) - CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska. Replaces Champ Bailey who will probably not be back next year. dont see that happen...their d-line sucks too bad to pass up on a d-liner.

4. CIN (3-13) - DE Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson. The NFL's worst pass-rush gets a major upgrade.

5. BUF (4-12) - DL Nick Fairley, Auburn. Buffalo gets an unstoppable force that can play in almost any scheme at any D-Line position.

6. ARI (5-11) - Dl Marcell Darius, Alabama. Arizona wants to win now, and does not have time to develop a quarterback. So, Arizona opts to shore up the Defensive line. yeah, right...the lions won a lot of games this year b/c they had drafted suh for DT...IF and only if the tards are confident about skelton, they wont take a QB in the first.

7. TEN (5-11) - DE Robert Quinn, North Carolina. If I were the Titans, I would release Vince Young and start over at QB, but Bud Adams is in love with Young and probably isn't going anywhere. They Drafted Derrick Morgan at #15 last year, but he was put on the IR. With Quinn and Morgan in the future, they'll have bookend DEs for a long time.

8. SEA (6-10) - QB Jake Locker, Washington. A Dream come true for Pete Carroll.
thats a dream for the hawks but surely not for carroll b/c he wasnt locker's coach in college and he would admit that his crappy whitehurst-trade was a bulls**t idea...
9. WAS (6-10) - WR AJ Green, Georgia. Major upgrade for the redskins -- will make McNabb look a lot better.

10. DAL (6-10) - De Adrian Clayborn, Iowa. A beast of a 3-4 DE. His off-the-field concerns are no issue for the Cowboys.

11. MIN (6-10) - QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas. Biggest need at this point, unless they make a trade for Kevin Kolb or something like that.

12. SF (7-9) - QB Cam Newton, Auburn. I expect us to have an offensive-minded coach in 2011, and they will be salivating over Cam Newton's potential. CB is a major, major need, but this is too high for Brandon Harris, and the top two CBs are already gone...but Harris could be the call here if they don't like Newton. Newton meets every requirement of an NFL quarterback, but is very raw. What sets him apart from other physical freaks that have come out at quarterback is his intangibles. He is a leader and has all the intangibles. He can sit for a year or so behind Alex Smith and maybe play a little wildcat.
[ Edited by communist on Dec 17, 2010 at 9:15 AM ]

I agree that the Titans probably won't take another DE. Morgan was drafted to replace Kyle Vanden Bosch. Babin has been excellent at the other spot, and they have a few DE's they rotate in regularly. they could use a strong DT more than a DE, as their tackles are undersized. They get a good pass rush, but get pushed around against a good running team. They could use upgrades at LB and a couple of spots on the O-line. But since this is the team that can't figure out how to get Randy Moss on the field since he "plays the same position as Kenny Britt" - don't look for them to draft a WR!

As far as Babin, he won't be going anywhere. He asked to come to Tennessee and try out, because he loved their scheme and thought it would be ideal for him. He was right. It's a great example of a player making a decision based on the game and not the money. Even if he were to leave, there'd be no reason for us to take a look at him (unless we switch to a 4-3 under a new coach). He's too small to play DE in our 3-4, and he's already shown he isn't very good as a 3-4 OLB.
Originally posted by irishluder:
Horrendous pick at #12.

Way to go, "Veteran."

PASS.

Hey dont put Alex in that list of MENTAL FAILURES! Alex is cerebral enough for the NFL... he just cant execute. Russell and Young both have shown that they are head cases and cant take the stress of being a multi millionaire... give me that stress please

Cam Newton has a good presence and is likable very similar to Tebow... but will not do anything in the NFL, except cost a franchise a 1st rounder and lots of money.

Mike Vick is the only black QB I would want on our team because he has came full circle and can rocket the ball with good accuracy and still has the ability to keep plays going with his tremendous speed.

I really like what Troy Smith has done, and thats who I would want to be our starting QB come next season. Alex needs a fresh start elswhere as a backup until he learns the offense.

Mike Vick is the only black QB you would want on the 49ers...but then you say you like what Troy Smith has done and want him as our starter next season? You do realize that Troy Smith is black, right?
Share 49ersWebzone