There are 236 users in the forums

OTC's Premiere Mock is Here: Eat, Drink, and Be Merry.

Once again, it seems we need help just about everywhere, but QB is the biggest issue. We have two QB's with expiring contracts and one who should be cut immediately following the season (Carr). That leaves us with a whopping zero QB's. My expectation is that someone -- probably Alex (much to the disdain of many) -- will be retained by the new coach as a back-up/stopgap option.

Some speculative changes. . . .

Coaching:
HC - Jim Harbaugh (and a likely good chunk of his staff) -- Something tells me Jeff Fisher could also land here if his time in Tennessee ends, but that's just an inkling. Billick remains an outside chance as well.

Key players walking, being cut, or traded:
OG Chilo Rachal
FS DaShon Goldson
FB Moran Norris
RB Westbrook
ILB Spikes
NT Franklin

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011 NFL Draft

1. Prince Amukamara-CB-Nebraska, 6-0 205 4.49
What more can I say about Amukamara? He went into this season as my favorite CB, and he still is. Expectations have been high, and he's met them. A straight-up lockdown corner, Prince is incredibly fundamentally sound. He's a big, physical corner with the size and speed to match up with just about any receiver in the league, and he's a disciplined player which is something we direly need in our secondary. Quarterbacks have stayed away from him this year, which is why he lacks the INT numbers that other corners might have, but when QB's look his way, it's rarely a completion. Amukamara has 13 passes broken up this year and a sack as well. With Patrick Peterson likely off the board by the time we pick, Amukamara, the more polished player anyways, could fall right into our laps. It's understandable we may look QB, but I can see the 49ers taking a long look at Prince on draft day and could make that call.

2. Titus Young-WR/KR-Boise State, 5-11 170 4.48
Many will panic at the sight of this pick, but please, listen for just a moment. Remember when we passed on DeSean Jackson? Now Young is not Jackson, but an immensely talented player nonetheless and when you've got guys like this sitting on the board, you take them. The best teams in the league have playmakers like Titus out there. Young is going to make the clutch 3rd down grab, and at worst he'll be a player stretching defenses with his speed just by his simple presence on the field. We can't expect to have consistent success running the ball if we have no ability to pass -- especially deep, and if you have no threat to do that, your offense is going to sputter, and that's exactly what we have in San Franicsco. This is the case for Titus Young, a player who has come up big in big games, and notched back-to-back 1000 yard seasons with at least 10 TDs. It doesn't hurt that he's a great kick returner too. Young likely won't last into the 3rd if he clocks in the low 4.4's or 4.3's.

3. Ricky Stanzi-QB-Iowa, 6-4 230 4.80
Stanzi has intrigued me for the longest time, and early in his career I saw the flashes of brilliance that many of the Hawkeye followers rave about these days. However, I can also say I saw -- especially last year -- a player whose season was riddled with poor decisions in several games. Last year, he had 17 TDs, 15 picks. This year, 25 TDs (at least one in every game) and only 4 INTs. There's no question Stanzi has talent. The only question is this: Was his rebound this year a fluke, or just evidence of immense growth? This uncertainty drops his value, but that's good for us. Stanzi has the upside to become a star in the NFL, but he's extremely unlikely to be taken higher than the 2nd round. He falls between the late 2nd and 4th round range. I think Stanzi learned from past mistakes and got better. He's going to need some time to get ready for the NFL, but when he gets there, I believe he'll be soaring. Stanzi is a great fit for the 49ers. He's got spunk, confidence, swagger and all the things synonymous with those words, to accompany his skill. His footwork this year looks fantastic compared to before. Ricky Stanzi should be on our radar -- I'd be shocked if he wasn't.

4. Sione Fua-NT-Stanford, 6-1 306 5.16
With Franklin possibly leaving, we need to get ourselves a NT prospect. Phil Taylor, Powe, and Ellis will probably be gone by this point, but Fua would be a fine alternative. Fua, who will probably weigh in a little bigger at the combine, plays the NT spot in Stanford's 3-4 defense, and he's had a pretty good year, leading Stanford's D to a Top-25 ranked rush defense and earning All-PAC 10 2nd-team honors with 4.5 sacks, 6 TFL, and 2 FF this year.

4. Derek Hall-OT-Stanford, 6-5 305 5.24
Hall has really garned some attention this year with exceptional play all season. Stanford's line collectively has only given up 5 sacks all year -- that's best in the nation. On top of that, Stanford is in the top 20 for rushing offense as well. With a QB like Luck and an already supercell passing attack, and looking at some of the other teams in that list (who never pass), that is no small feat to be that highly ranked in rushing as well. Hall is just another example of a well-coached player who has begun to shine. With Sims leaving after this year, Staley having a down year and dealing with injuries, and Anthony Davis still really being a question mark, it would be very wise to invest a pick in a tackle.

5. Stanley Havili-FB/HB-USC, 6-0 228 4.64
The "true fullback" position is becoming virtually obsolete, and now is the era of hybrid players like Jacob Hester, Peyton Hillis, Tolbert, etc. ... Norris has been here a long time and we can applaud him for his services, but it's time to get with the times and bring in someone more dynamic, someone who can run like a tailback, block like a stud, and actually catch passes in the flat and do something with it. Stanley fits that bill. He may not make it here, but if he does and we pass, we'll be giving up a valuable player at a position we really need.

6. Bruce Miller-OLB-Central Florida, 6-1 248 4.75
Every team and every coach loves a guy like Miller and wants a player like him on their team. Miller is one of those outstanding hustle players who will work his tail off day in and day out, and his hard work pays off. He consistently, yet quietly produced terrific numbers at UCF for each of these past three seasons. Take a look at this production: This year he has a whopping EIGHTEEN QB hurries to go along with 7 sacks, 11.5 TFL, 2 FF, and 2 INTs both returned for touchdowns. Last year he had 13 sacks and 18 TFL, and the year before that, 7 sacks with 17 TFL. With Miller you're getting a guy who should be an immediate ST's contributor, and quite feasibly a future starter. He's not the biggest or the fastest and likely won't "wow" people physically or in his combine workouts, and because of this, Miller could be a steal in the 6th.

6. Chris Conte-FS-California, 6-2 212 4.54
I can see the 49ers looking to pick up an extra safety purely for depth purposes, if not in the draft at least in Free Agency. But in any case, I could see us going after Cal's Chris Conte, a tall, rangy guy who would serve as an extra DB and a special teamer. Conte is a late-rounder for a reason and obviously isn't a top-notch defensive back, but he's a solid depth player, and good teams have good depth. Conte's numbers on the year are 72 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 FF, 1 INT, and 1 blocked kick which he recovered and ran in for a touchdown.

7. Ryan Jones-CB-Northwest Missouri State, 5-11 195 4.42
People will look at this young man's production and write it off as just a result of poor competition, but anytime you do what this kid has done, you have to take notice of the talent you have to work with. Jones has two pick sixes to his credit this season, among his 6 interceptions. Aside from being a terrific cover man, Jones excels in run support, something we have extreme value for here. Ryan will stick his nose into the play, and has 5 TFL this year to prove it. Tack on the size and speed combination this young man possesses, and you've got a heck of a prospect who you can try to mold into a starting caliber player. Our 7th rounder last year, Philip Adams out of South Carolina State, has done a very solid job this year for being a late-round pick from a small school. I believe Jones could do the same.

7. Damik Scafe-DT/DE-Boston College, 6-3 310 5.14

Scafe will provide us with a strong developmental prospect. In the 3-4, you want your ends to be strong and stout in defending the run and have the ability to hold their ground. Scafe excels in this area, and on top of that, he's shown he knows what to do if he can't get to the QB -- get his hands up -- evidenced by his 4 bat-downs this year. Scafe's numbers this year were 9 TFL, 3 sacks, 1 FF.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011 Quick-Look Depth Chart:

QB - Stanzi*, A.Smith, FA Vet (or Nate Davis, but unlikely).
RB - Gore, Dixon, FA
WR - Crabtree, Morgan, Young*, Ginn, Williams
OL - Staley, Boone, Davis, Hall*, Snyder, Baas, Iupati, Heitmann, FA

DL - Sopoaga, Jean-Francois, J.Smith, McDonald, Fua*, Tukuafu/FA Vet/Scafe*
LB - Brooks, Lawson, Haralson, McKillop, Willis, Bowman, Miller*, FA
CB - Clements, Spencer, Amukamara*, P.Adams, Brown/Jones*
S - R.Smith, Spillman, Mays, Conte*
I would be very happy with an offseason like this. I'm not too high on the Titus pick because I think he is too similar to Kyle Williams but I wouldn't be mad if we drafted him. I love the Havili pick!
Originally posted by scoobyduu24:
I would be very happy with an offseason like this. I'm not too high on the Titus pick because I think he is too similar to Kyle Williams but I wouldn't be mad if we drafted him. I love the Havili pick!

I think we have to look for another receiving threat in the draft, whether it's Titus or someone else. Williams struggled with injuries, Ginn makes drop after drop, seemingly unable to catch anything, and Morgan and Crabs are possession receivers who don't possess deep speed or tremendous height to make them better red zone threats.

A darkhorse player who I'd love to have is UNC's Greg Little -- a poor man's Hakeem Nicks. Little has a powerful build and as a former running back, knows how to pick up the RAC yards. He can certainly block well too.

It's feasible in a month from now you could see Stanzi sitting in that Round 2 spot, a NT at round 3, and Little for the 4th rounder.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 14, 2010 at 6:58 PM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Funny as I have been working on a full 32 team 2 rounder and currently have Ryan Broyles slotted to us in the 2nd as the BPA and I knew a lot would not like the pick right off the bat.
Like the picks, really solid through the 6th round.

Titus Young is one of my favorites, I could see him in the slot with Crabs, Morgan and Davis all in there and Gore lined up in the backfield. Hit Titus and let Morgan and Davis get down field and block.
don't know much about Stanzi.......but good mock, especially in the coaching dept.

I absolutely have no problems at all with this draft. If we get Prince, that is a great draft already
you had me at harbaugh

• GEEK
  • Veteran
So you are assuming we continue to run the 3-4?
S - R.Smith, Spillman, Mays, Conte*

• Dino
  • Veteran
i just came
thank you for drafting a golden bear
if we let go of spikes

you think we take a look at mike mohamed?
Share 49ersWebzone