Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by dj43:
I'm a bit surprised that a strong critic of Alex Smith would take a corner instead of a QB at #8.

I like PA but I think Cam Newton, and QBs like him are the future of the NFL.

Nice job though. I like it.

I actually agree with you regarding QBs like Cam...I just don't think we'll go anywhere near him or anyone who seems like a real project at the QB position, anytime soon.
Let me ask you a hypothetical question:

If Alex Smith leaves and signs with the Cardinals (I see that as a likely possibility), I see them skipping Mallett and going after a QB in the second round or later. In the case that Mallett would then be on the board for the 49ers turn, do you take him?

Yes we take Mallett if he's on the board. And probably Locker too if we have a chane at him. I think we get one of those. Luck is way off the board. Newton is a major project.

IMO, even if Smith does sign with AZ, I doubt they entrust the franchise to him and pass on a 1st-round QB. I just can't see that happening. If AZ passes on a 1st round QB, it will likely be because they sign/trade for someone else, or the rookie Skelton really makes an impression.

To dj's question...if Mallett is there, I do think we'll draft him. It's possible we take Locker simply because of need, but I'm more skeptical about him than Mallett.

But you gotta admit he could turn out well if all goes well (Locker). The upside is huge. You can't teach his arm strength or his legs.[/quote]

You keep talking about his arm strength and his legs....yet, Newton is better in both attributes. And Newton has a few things better than Locker. He is way more accurate. And he wins. How can we make Locker a franchise qb, when he has proven he cant be accurate, and win with the talent he has around him....a franchise qb should have these attributes. No?

Locker has a better arm. He was injured this year which effects accuracy. It remains to be seen who is faster. You will probably find out at the combine when they run. You shouldn't confuse difficult to tackle (Newton because he is big) with greater speed. Although Newton certainly has speed. So does Locker. I couldn't say who would win in a 40 yard dash. We will find out soon at the combine.

I have seen both and Newton has a cannon. Locker has just over a 50% completion rate, for his career. Not just this year. And again the the ability for Locker to not win on a consistent basis is not what a NFL GM want in a franchise QB.
I'm a bit surprised that a strong critic of Alex Smith would take a corner instead of a QB at #8.

I like PA but I think Cam Newton, and QBs like him are the future of the NFL.

Nice job though. I like it.

I actually agree with you regarding QBs like Cam...I just don't think we'll go anywhere near him or anyone who seems like a real project at the QB position, anytime soon.
Let me ask you a hypothetical question:

If Alex Smith leaves and signs with the Cardinals (I see that as a likely possibility), I see them skipping Mallett and going after a QB in the second round or later. In the case that Mallett would then be on the board for the 49ers turn, do you take him?

Yes we take Mallett if he's on the board. And probably Locker too if we have a chane at him. I think we get one of those. Luck is way off the board. Newton is a major project.

IMO, even if Smith does sign with AZ, I doubt they entrust the franchise to him and pass on a 1st-round QB. I just can't see that happening. If AZ passes on a 1st round QB, it will likely be because they sign/trade for someone else, or the rookie Skelton really makes an impression.

To dj's question...if Mallett is there, I do think we'll draft him. It's possible we take Locker simply because of need, but I'm more skeptical about him than Mallett.

But you gotta admit he could turn out well if all goes well (Locker). The upside is huge. You can't teach his arm strength or his legs.[/quote]

You keep talking about his arm strength and his legs....yet, Newton is better in both attributes. And Newton has a few things better than Locker. He is way more accurate. And he wins. How can we make Locker a franchise qb, when he has proven he cant be accurate, and win with the talent he has around him....a franchise qb should have these attributes. No?

Locker has a better arm. He was injured this year which effects accuracy. It remains to be seen who is faster. You will probably find out at the combine when they run. You shouldn't confuse difficult to tackle (Newton because he is big) with greater speed. Although Newton certainly has speed. So does Locker. I couldn't say who would win in a 40 yard dash. We will find out soon at the combine.

I have seen both and Newton has a cannon. Locker has just over a 50% completion rate, for his career. Not just this year. And again the the ability for Locker to not win on a consistent basis is not what a NFL GM want in a franchise QB.

He had a broken rib and a deep thigh bruise this year. It effects your throwing motion. Newton doesn't have that much of a cannon. He's just big and runs well.

He had a broken rib and a deep thigh bruise this year. It effects your throwing motion. Newton doesn't have that much of a cannon. He's just big and runs well.

Injuries are part of the game. If hes getting beaten up and cant stay healthy in the PAC 10 how will he in the NFL? Locker should have learned from Brian Brohm. Come out before your flaws are exposed. Brohm was a sure fire 1st rounder after 06 but stayed in, looked ordinary and fell to the second round in the 08 draft. Locker looked like a top 10 pick based on an improved junior year, but came back and his comp percentage, YPA, TDs and rating all fall.

He was also stinking it up before the rib injury as well wasnt he? 4-20 against Nebraska? 7-14 with 2 picks vs Stanford. His three very good games this year were against Syracuse, Ore St. and Wash St., Oregon State being the 64th ranked defense and Washington St being the 110th ranked defense. Not good.
[ Edited by jojomellon on Dec 15, 2010 at 6:17 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone