LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

GoFD's VERY early 1st round mock

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I'm a bit surprised that a strong critic of Alex Smith would take a corner instead of a QB at #8.

I like PA but I think Cam Newton, and QBs like him are the future of the NFL.

Nice job though. I like it.

I actually agree with you regarding QBs like Cam...I just don't think we'll go anywhere near him or anyone who seems like a real project at the QB position, anytime soon.
Let me ask you a hypothetical question:

If Alex Smith leaves and signs with the Cardinals (I see that as a likely possibility), I see them skipping Mallett and going after a QB in the second round or later. In the case that Mallett would then be on the board for the 49ers turn, do you take him?

Yes we take Mallett if he's on the board. And probably Locker too if we have a chane at him. I think we get one of those. Luck is way off the board. Newton is a major project.

IMO, even if Smith does sign with AZ, I doubt they entrust the franchise to him and pass on a 1st-round QB. I just can't see that happening. If AZ passes on a 1st round QB, it will likely be because they sign/trade for someone else, or the rookie Skelton really makes an impression.

To dj's question...if Mallett is there, I do think we'll draft him. It's possible we take Locker simply because of need, but I'm more skeptical about him than Mallett.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
You must've taken an early peek at my mock.. with those Prince and Stanzi picks.

I don't know if I entirely agree with the first round mock as far as the other teams' picks, but I can commend your first four selections for the 49ers.

Thanks OTC. It's way too early to put together mocks given how much movement we'll see over the next 3-4 months, but I thought I'd put a stake in the ground for now.
I'm a bit surprised that a strong critic of Alex Smith would take a corner instead of a QB at #8.

I actually agree with you regarding QBs like Cam...I just don't think we'll go anywhere near him or anyone who seems like a real project at the QB position, anytime soon.

If Alex Smith leaves and signs with the Cardinals (I see that as a likely possibility), I see them skipping Mallett and going after a QB in the second round or later. In the case that Mallett would then be on the board for the 49ers turn, do you take him?

Yes we take Mallett if he's on the board. And probably Locker too if we have a chane at him. I think we get one of those. Luck is way off the board. Newton is a major project.

IMO, even if Smith does sign with AZ, I doubt they entrust the franchise to him and pass on a 1st-round QB. I just can't see that happening. If AZ passes on a 1st round QB, it will likely be because they sign/trade for someone else, or the rookie Skelton really makes an impression.

To dj's question...if Mallett is there, I do think we'll draft him. It's possible we take Locker simply because of need, but I'm more skeptical about him than Mallett.

But you gotta admit he could turn out well if all goes well (Locker). The upside is huge. You can't teach his arm strength or his legs.

But you gotta admit he could turn out well if all goes well (Locker). The upside is huge. You can't teach his arm strength or his legs.

The potential is there with Locker, no doubt about it. But he's not much of a QB right now (especially for a top-10 pick), and will likely take years for him to develop into one (think Steve Young coming out of BYU). If a team is willing to wait on him, and surround him with the right coaching staff, he'll have a chance. I just don't think selecting someone that high (given how much development he'll need) is a smart move for us right now given how many other huge needs we have.

IMO, Mallett (who has his issues as well) is much closer to being able to play QB at the next level than Locker is.

But you gotta admit he could turn out well if all goes well (Locker). The upside is huge. You can't teach his arm strength or his legs.[/quote]

You keep talking about his arm strength and his legs....yet, Newton is better in both attributes. And Newton has a few things better than Locker. He is way more accurate. And he wins. How can we make Locker a franchise qb, when he has proven he cant be accurate, and win with the talent he has around him....a franchise qb should have these attributes. No?
Not really in love with Stanzi, but good draft. I think i wouldn't even mind Newton over Prince. Free agency will effect the 1st draft pick greatly. I think the team could go get a vet CB and or QB before the draft. But the thing is even if they get vets at those positions they still need to draft those positions.

Me Likey.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Not really in love with Stanzi, but good draft. I think i wouldn't even mind Newton over Prince. Free agency will effect the 1st draft pick greatly. I think the team could go get a vet CB and or QB before the draft. But the thing is even if they get vets at those positions they still need to draft those positions.

If there is no Collective Bargaining in place, there is no Free Agency....there will be a draft. BUT, if there is no free agency, I have no doubt in my mind we go QB in the 1st
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by lamontb:

If there is no Collective Bargaining in place, there is no Free Agency....there will be a draft. BUT, if there is no free agency, I have no doubt in my mind we go QB in the 1st

I forgot about that no free agency period is really gonna change things. I thought everything in the off season will remain til after the draft then everything stops if there is no new agreement. I agree if there is no free agency.
I like it Ghost. The Niners first two picks are exactly what I have in my yet to be released mock

I know it's early but PLEASE keep the mocks coming - it's the only thing I'm looking forward to with the 49ers this year. Thanks
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

But you gotta admit he could turn out well if all goes well (Locker). The upside is huge. You can't teach his arm strength or his legs.[/quote]

You keep talking about his arm strength and his legs....yet, Newton is better in both attributes. And Newton has a few things better than Locker. He is way more accurate. And he wins. How can we make Locker a franchise qb, when he has proven he cant be accurate, and win with the talent he has around him....a franchise qb should have these attributes. No?

Locker has a better arm. He was injured this year which effects accuracy. It remains to be seen who is faster. You will probably find out at the combine when they run. You shouldn't confuse difficult to tackle (Newton because he is big) with greater speed. Although Newton certainly has speed. So does Locker. I couldn't say who would win in a 40 yard dash. We will find out soon at the combine.
I'd be good with those first two picks... Can't speak to the rest simply because I haven't been watching a LOT of college games.

mallet is highly overrated, as is Locker, rather wait for a QB we have bigger needs, like pass rush.

1st 4 picks:

Round 1 - Prince Amukamara, CB (blue-chip secondary help)
Round 2 - Ricky Stanzi, QB (Brady-like underdog)
Round 3 - Jarvis Jenkins, DT (run-stuffer behind RJF)
Round 4 - Jeffrey Demps, RB/KR (world-class speed in the backfield/special teams)

I love these picks...would also like to see a big FB like John Connor
Share 49ersWebzone