What about McDniels (OC) and Newton

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Just throwing out an idea. Get McDaniels as the OC, install a spread offense, and have Cam run it? Maybe even sign Alex for a year while Cam learns under one of the best QB coaches in the game. Might be a system that fits Alex as well--at least for a year. But get a real coach, and don't allow McDaniels in the building when personnel decisions are being made. Thoughts? Walsh was very intrigued with the spread developing in the NFL, maybe this can again be a place offensive innovation happens.

How exactly did McDaniel's earn that title?

He did a good job developing Brady and Cassel.

Brady was Charlie's product.

Brady made Charlie look good, not the other way around.

This is full of win.
Head coach will probably want to bring his own guy in as OC
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:
Head coach will probably want to bring his own guy in as OC

Yeh, I know, I get that we as fans don't decide the OC, I'm just asking what people would think of that combination? Having a spread style QB with a guy like McDaniels, or specifically McDaniels, install his spread system. Clearly none of us decide the future OC.
DP.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Dec 15, 2010 at 1:46 AM ]
For the McDaniels haters, a little perspective is needed. There was a time when Marty Mornhenwig (spelling?) was the laughing stock of the NFL after his head coaching stint in Detroit. He's now the OC for the top rated offense in the league (Philly) and a semi-hot commodity once again.

McDaniels will coach again and likely do a very good job for someone as an OC, regardless of how badly he did as the Broncos HC.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I don't like McDaniels, give me Chucky or Harbaugh.
Just throwing out an idea. Get McDaniels as the OC, install a spread offense, and have Cam run it? Maybe even sign Alex for a year while Cam learns under one of the best QB coaches in the game. Might be a system that fits Alex as well--at least for a year. But get a real coach, and don't allow McDaniels in the building when personnel decisions are being made. Thoughts? Walsh was very intrigued with the spread developing in the NFL, maybe this can again be a place offensive innovation happens.

Brady was already good and Cassel was a product of the system. Cassel isn't performing all that great in KC.

22 TDs and 4 ints for the season isn't good? Have you seen KC play? What he did with Orton is unbelievable. And if theyre a product of his system, fine, that's the system I'm suggesting we run!!!

I actually didn't notice Cassel having that good of numbers so I'll take that back. But he was pretty horrible last year after leaving New England. This year, it's more Todd Haley and the style of play KC runs which focuses on the run and playaction.

As far as Kyle Orton, I think it's more a product of the system than it is McDaniels. Are you suggesting that the Niners move to a spread system?

Sort of. I suggest the possibility that the niners adopt a spread system, but to say "move to" means that we're moving "from" a system, which implies we have an offensive system, which we currently absolutely DO NOT.

I'm just not that sure about applying the spread full time. Our line works best as a run blocking/west coast style of offense. I guess I wouldn't be totally against using the spread though.

But I'm just not a fan of McDaniels. Seems like he's egotistical and would shun players if they didn't completely agree with his philosophy.
Kyle Orton has pretty fantasy numbers b/c they throw every down. He's not a good qb. Matt Cassell started off super slow but has picked up stem this year.

Brady was already good and Cassel was a product of the system. Cassel isn't performing all that great in KC.

22 TDs and 4 ints for the season isn't good? Have you seen KC play? What he did with Orton is unbelievable. And if theyre a product of his system, fine, that's the system I'm suggesting we run!!!

Also, Cassel DESTROYED US.. I agree, Mc. Daniels maybe a good QB coach and OC..

cassel ist a system product par excellence...nothing special about him. i wanna see him play when their running offense fails.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I don't like McDaniels, give me Chucky or Harbaugh.

As OC? You want Gruden as the OC? Oooook...

McDaniels will only OC for a year before being given a second chance. Living in Colorado, I get a pretty close look at the Broncos, and I think McDaniels is a good coach and an AWFUL personnel guy.

I don't understand why they didn't strip him of his GM powers...

He made good trade moves, then squandered the picks. He traded away one of the #1s he got for Cutler for a 2nd rounder he spent on Alfonso smith, who he then traded away ONE YEAR later for a 7th round Tight End.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:

McDaniels will only OC for a year before being given a second chance. Living in Colorado, I get a pretty close look at the Broncos, and I think McDaniels is a good coach and an AWFUL personnel guy.

He made good trade moves, then squandered the picks. He traded away one of the #1s he got for Cutler for a 2nd rounder he spent on Alfonso smith, who he then traded away ONE YEAR later for a 7th round Tight End.

Brian Xanders is the GM in Denver.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Brian Xanders is the GM in Denver.

McD calls the shots tho
Share 49ersWebzone