There are 326 users in the forums

Better NFL career - Cam Newton v. Tim Tebow

Better NFL career - Cam Newton v. Tim Tebow

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Tebow by far. Newton will never make it in NFL unless he becomes a RB.

cmon SD, thats why all the experts have him going as a 1st round qb, and the same pundits had Tebow going in the 2nd or 3rd, and also questioned why he wouldnt be a qb.

Tebow by far. Newton doesn't belong in the NFL. At least not at QB. Many so called "experts" once upon a time called Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell can't miss prospects.

So why do I care what so called "experts" think?

So let me try to understand the logic here.

You're refusing "care" about what the "experts" think, as a collective, because they were wrong about a handful of players throughout the decades. The same "experts" who were right on literally thousands of other players.

Let's say "experts" only get it right 75% of the time. Even with that overwhelmingly positive success rate...you'd disregard the entire profession over the other 25%?

So if you were taking your first calculus class, kinda had an idea what it was all about, but were by no means an expert...you'd refuse help from a guy who scored a 95% on the last test?

Please help me here. I'm very intrigued.

And if you could, regardless of your response... please place a "" somewhere in there. I'd really like that.
I dont think either are going to be great NFL QB's. However, between the 2 I would take Newton as I think he does have the greater potential.
newtons way more accurate

cmon SD, thats why all the experts have him going as a 1st round qb, and the same pundits had Tebow going in the 2nd or 3rd, and also questioned why he wouldnt be a qb.

Tebow by far. Newton doesn't belong in the NFL. At least not at QB. Many so called "experts" once upon a time called Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell can't miss prospects.

You obviously need to watch more SEC ball then, because he has raped every team he has played.

I've watched him many times. An awkward and innacurate throwing motion. I'm not impressed with him other than RB. Maybe he can replace Frank Gore.

RB??? How many successful RBs are over 6'6'???
Originally posted by asu49ers:

You obviously need to watch more SEC ball then, because he has raped every team he has played.

I've watched him many times. An awkward and innacurate throwing motion. I'm not impressed with him other than RB. Maybe he can replace Frank Gore.

RB??? How many successful RBs are over 6'6'???

The Giants RB is 6'4 1/2" 265 lbs...
Notwen

So I guess Phillip Rivers throwing motion is cool right? Or he can't be a good QB because he isn't picture perfect like Tom Brady?
Don't get me wrong.. Newton's a top 5 pick in my mind. I say Tebow though. Just think Tebow wants it more.

It's hard to measure heart. It's like JaMarcus Russell. There was a reason he was a top pick. Big, mobile, a cannon for an arm, very hard to bring down, etc. If he wanted to be great and worked his tail off he would have been. He got paid guaranteed millions and decided to live the easy life instead. Partied, fattened up, didn't give a f**k. I don't know if that's Cam Newton or not. But I know it's not Tim Tebow.
They're both winners and will likely both do very well (haters aside). Cam has a few more tools to work with, but I wouldn't count Tebow out as eventually having the better career.

Btw, I predict that someone will take one (or both) of these guys and construct a pro-style version of the spread offense to fit their skills, and (just as Walsh did with the WCO in the late 70's) take the NFL into the next century of offense.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Dec 13, 2010 at 8:54 AM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
They're both winners and will likely both do very well (haters aside). Cam has a few more tools to work with, but I wouldn't count Tebow out as eventually having the better career.

Btw, I predict that someone will take one (or both) of these guys and construct a pro-style version of the spread offense to fit their skills, and (just as Walsh did with the WCO in the late 70's) take the NFL into the next century of offense.

How would you feel if the new HC went this route by retaining Michael Johnson, a spread enthusiast, keeping Alex Smith and Nate Davis and drafting Cam Newton. All three would do well in that "Spead" offense, NFL-style.

I would believe that most here would go postal on a biblical scale let alone the media and general fan base.

Doesn't Tebow have that "awkward and inaccurate throwing motion" too??

Absolutely agree with this.

Like last year, I never understood all the hate that Tebow got. The kid worked his ass off for every game and gave it his all. Any coach would love that work ethic and his will to win and continually progress as a pro QB.

I have yet to see that kind of fire in Newton, but he's definitely got too much talent to have teams pass on him. If he continues to mature and understands all the hard work that comes with becoming an NFL QB, he can be a pretty dangerous QB.
I say Newton b/c his problem has more do do with footwork and learning how to make proper drops and reads. Tebow just can't make all the throws and his mechanics are way off imo. I think it's less likely that Tebow can overcome that and have a successful career as a qb. No doubt Tebow will work his ass off to get there I just don't think he will.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Absolutely agree with this.

Like last year, I never understood all the hate that Tebow got. The kid worked his ass off for every game and gave it his all. Any coach would love that work ethic and his will to win and continually progress as a pro QB.

I have yet to see that kind of fire in Newton, but he's definitely got too much talent to have teams pass on him. If he continues to mature and understands all the hard work that comes with becoming an NFL QB, he can be a pretty dangerous QB.

My only issue with both is that they're not really pure NFL-type passers, so if they're shoe-horned into systems that are more traditional (and less flexible to take advantage of their skills), they will likely not succeed.

There was a reason Montana lasted until the 3rd round...people just couldn't envision him running the types of systems that were prevalent in that day (vertical passing systems that required a big armed QB to sit in the pocket and launch downfield strikes). However, Walsh saw greatness in Joe, and tailored a system to fit Joe's skills perfectly (intelligent, mobile, accurate, patient QB who could pick you apart 5 yards at a clip, then strike quickly downfield as needed).

So what's needed here is another visionary offensive coach to take advantage of the skills these guys have (as well as other spread-style QBs), enabling them to use all of their skills in a system that will define the next generation of offense.
Originally posted by ninertico:

How would you feel if the new HC went this route by retaining Michael Johnson, a spread enthusiast, keeping Alex Smith and Nate Davis and drafting Cam Newton. All three would do well in that "Spead" offense, NFL-style.

I would believe that most here would go postal on a biblical scale let alone the media and general fan base.

People's heads would explode if those two things happened! I'm not an Alex fan, but if he progresses at all over these last 3 games under MJ, I wouldn't hate it so much. I love Cam, but have my issues with him as well (maturity-wise, not skills-wise).
Share 49ersWebzone