LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 383 users in the forums

Norman Whiite, WR, Villanova

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Looks like T.O. 6'3" and can run. Maybe someone we can take in the later rounds.
If we're taking a Villanova WR, it should be Matt Szczur. A tremendous athlete and a guy who worked as a triple-threat on the Villanova team.

He was his conference's player of the year last year, but this year had his season shortened by an injury. He came back and had an outstanding performance today in Villanova's quarter-final playoff game against Appalachian State. Szczur is a Welker type who can return kicks, make plays in the slot, play as a wild-cat QB, and whatever else you ask him to do.

Szczur is likely to be selected by the 4th or 5th round though because of his tremendous versatility, quickness, and speed (coaches claim to have clocked him in the 4.3's).

Szczur had over 1400 yards of total offense last season and 14 TDs.

And today? Well here were his numbers today.

2/2 for 58 yards passing, 1 TD
16 rushes for 105 yards, 3 TDs
5 catches for 45 yards, 1 TD

Szczur was responsible for every touchdown his team scored today, beating Appalachian St. 35-24 to move on.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 11, 2010 at 11:55 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If we're taking a Villanova WR, it should be Matt Szczur. A tremendous athlete and a guy who worked as a triple-threat on the Villanova team.

He was his conference's player of the year last year, but this year had his season shortened by an injury. He came back and had an outstanding performance today in Villanova's quarter-final playoff game against Appalachian State. Szczur is a Welker type who can return kicks, make plays in the slot, play as a wild-cat QB, and whatever else you ask him to do.

Szczur is likely to be selected by the 4th or 5th round though because of his tremendous versatility, quickness, and speed (coaches claim to have clocked him in the 4.3's).

Szczur had over 1400 yards of total offense last season and 14 TDs.

And today? Well here were his numbers today.

2/2 for 58 yards passing, 1 TD
16 rushes for 105 yards, 3 TDs
5 catches for 45 yards, 1 TD

Szczur was responsible for every touchdown his team scored today, beating Appalachian St. 35-24 to move on.

szczur is probably a better prospect than marc mariani, who has done well for titans returning kicks
Szczur plays big in big games. Kicked my MT Grizzlies butt in the FCS Championship game last year.

Similar to Mariani, but is a little quicker and faster. Both are gamers for sure.

I believe he played both offense and defense first 3 seasons.(at least played safety in last years FCS Championship as well as having a spectacular day on offense)

Core special teamer and potentially could get alot better at receiver at next level.(raw)Late rd prospect.

But honestly, have only seen him in these 2 games, so take it whats it worth.
Originally posted by mtminer:
Szczur plays big in big games. Kicked my MT Grizzlies butt in the FCS Championship game last year.

Similar to Mariani, but is a little quicker and faster. Both are gamers for sure.

I believe he played both offense and defense first 3 seasons.(at least played safety in last years FCS Championship as well as having a spectacular day on offense)

Core special teamer and potentially could get alot better at receiver at next level.(raw)Late rd prospect.

Mariani had the KR/PR thing going for him in addition to being a good receiver as far as production. Szczur can do it all, and is thicker and faster than Mariani. Matt is like a much better version of Julian Edelman right now.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

Mariani had the KR/PR thing going for him in addition to being a good receiver as far as production. Szczur can do it all, and is thicker and faster than Mariani. Matt is like a much better version of Julian Edelman right now.

He's going to be a 2nd-4th rounder OTC. The value of these guys have gone up tremendously in recent years. Jacoby Ford, Dexter McCluster, etc...
Originally posted by GEEK:

He's going to be a 2nd-4th rounder OTC. The value of these guys have gone up tremendously in recent years. Jacoby Ford, Dexter McCluster, etc...

2nd and 3rd is too high for Matt, especially when you factor in the injuries. Villanova is not a major program by any means, so I think the 4th sounds about right. Look at Ford -- he was a huge success for Clemson and had a blistering 40 yet still was only selected in round 4.
Share 49ersWebzone