There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Great Blue North 2 round mock draft

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by dj43:
I doubt four QB's are taken in the first ten picks. Right now, I'd say it will be one, Luck. Green and Prince are projected too low as well.

Greg Jones is a really nice college LB, but he's not top 35 material. And, Torrey Smith in the 50's. I think he'll end up a top 12 pick. Productive, and can fly like the wind. Paea too low as well.

If AZ doesn't get a QB in FA, they will almost certainly take one with their 1st round pick. It may be a reach but their fan base would go nuts if they don't.

Also, it sounds more and more like Buffalo is OK with Fitzpatrick. The only way I see them drafting a QB is if they move up to take Luck, which would be too costly for a team with so many needs.

Arizona is going to be starting Alex Smith next year, with Larry Fitzgerald and AJ Green.

and knowing the 9ers luck he'll turn the corner in zona
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
This is where trading down into the middle or late in the 1st round would be the best bet IMO. For one, no way is Jake Locker worth a Top 10 pick, and what's with Nick Foles in the 1st round again??

That's if you feel that you MUST draft a QB in the first round. I agree a QB is a must area but so is CB and DE/pass rusher.

There are only so many impact players in any draft, usually that number is between 8 and 12. Therefore, it would make little sense for a team with three high need areas to trade out of a chance to fill one of the other two high need areas to get a QB later in the round who is not as likely to be an impact player as a CB or DE.

If you think QB is a must area then you have to take one with your first pick... everything else is secondary... As the 9ers have proven when you don't have a franchise QB it is impossible to win in this league. Its why teams with great defenses like Tampa and Baltimore are one and done and the Colts, Patriots and Steelers get to multiple Superbowls.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
I doubt four QB's are taken in the first ten picks. Right now, I'd say it will be one, Luck. Green and Prince are projected too low as well.

Greg Jones is a really nice college LB, but he's not top 35 material. And, Torrey Smith in the 50's. I think he'll end up a top 12 pick. Productive, and can fly like the wind. Paea too low as well.

If AZ doesn't get a QB in FA, they will almost certainly take one with their 1st round pick. It may be a reach but their fan base would go nuts if they don't.

Also, it sounds more and more like Buffalo is OK with Fitzpatrick. The only way I see them drafting a QB is if they move up to take Luck, which would be too costly for a team with so many needs.

Arizona is going to be starting Alex Smith next year, with Larry Fitzgerald and AJ Green.

and knowing the 9ers luck he'll turn the corner in zona

I think he would thrive in that system. I wish we had a coach that could build an offense around our QB strengths instead of forcing every one of them into a smash mouth/Gore-first offense.
Originally posted by Jcool:
This is where trading down into the middle or late in the 1st round would be the best bet IMO. For one, no way is Jake Locker worth a Top 10 pick, and what's with Nick Foles in the 1st round again??

That's if you feel that you MUST draft a QB in the first round. I agree a QB is a must area but so is CB and DE/pass rusher.

There are only so many impact players in any draft, usually that number is between 8 and 12. Therefore, it would make little sense for a team with three high need areas to trade out of a chance to fill one of the other two high need areas to get a QB later in the round who is not as likely to be an impact player as a CB or DE.

If you think QB is a must area then you have to take one with your first pick... everything else is secondary... As the 9ers have proven when you don't have a franchise QB it is impossible to win in this league. Its why teams with great defenses like Tampa and Baltimore are one and done and the Colts, Patriots and Steelers get to multiple Superbowls.
Let me re-state my priorities:

1. QB

2. Pass rushing DE/OLB.

3. CB

In that order and they are not a long way apart. All of them are critical needs on this team. SO-O-O-O-O, if the choice at #7 is Locker, who I consider a mid-to-late first round value, OR Clayborn, who I believe will surely go in the top 10, which one do you pick?

I take Clayborn because he will make the secondary better BUT IS ALSO BPA. He is going to be a certain impact player, IMO.

So, what that means is that I must now either sign a stop-gap FA QB for a year or two until I can get the guy I want, OR trade back into the late first round to get Locker or Mallet or someone else at the appropriate value. I am not going to waste value by reaching for a QB that I might be able to get later, or someone else who is a value. Reaching to solve a single need is ONLY a good play when you only need just one player - this team needs three.

Then I go for BPA for a CB the next chance I get.

See, all of this is based on my opinion that you must have all three of my priorities filled if you are going to win a championship. If I can't get all three, then I will settle for two and if I can't get two, then I settle for one BUT I AM DARN SURE GOING TO GET AT LEAST ONE IMPACT PLAYER WITH MY #7 OVERALL PICK.

That is the way you build a team, IMO. Yes, I want a QB but I want him to be an impact QB, not just another guy with 10 fingers and 10 toes.

I'm not sure if you are offering that in jest or if you are serious. I suspect, knowing you, that you are serious. I'll take it that way.

I believe it is very possible that Alex will wind up in AZ. He is a So Cal boy and that would put him close to home. He would fit into their system well. He would love the chance to come back and throw salt in the wounds of the team that completely screwed him over.

Also, I believe Alex has the ability to be a solid starter in this league if the coach builds around his strengths and quits trying to force him to be just a game manager. If I'm wrong, I'll eat my helping of crow but that is my feeling about him.
Jake Locker......Super Bowl!

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Jeff Tuel (WSU) is better than Locker.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

Oh no you didn't!!!

Oh no you didn't!!!

He can't even hold Lockers jock strap.

Oh no you didn't!!!

What do you care? Jed and the "Yorkies" are still here.

I think we should let Josh McDaniels pick his own QB next season. He might not like Locker. (?)

Oh no you didn't!!!

I am only half kidding..

Seriously.

Did you happen to watch the Apple cup last weekend? Tuel was way better than Locker. Tuel nearly threw for nearly 300 yards and 3 TDs and 1 int which came on a last second hail mary. He played really well in this game and has come a long way since the beginning of the year.

Locker looked average, made one really bad throw for an int in the endzone and fumbled the ball during a bizarre fake end around. Locker's progress has really stalled this year. I know he doesn't have a great surrounding cast, but he didn't last year either and looked better last year.

Locker is a great athlete, no question, but he is not a great, NFL ready QB.

Tuel is just a sophmore, surrounded by a bunch of Freshman and Sophmores. Keep an eye on Tuel and WSU in 2011.

cheers
i thought that we want winners:
"Jake Locker got his signature moment and Washington back to a bowl game for the first time in eight years.

Locker made up for two critical turnovers early by throwing a 27-yard touchdown pass to Jermaine Kearse with 44 seconds left, and Washington became bowl eligible with a stirring 35-28 win over rival Washington State in the 103rd Apple Cup on Saturday night."
source: http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=303380265
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
"Jake Locker got his signature moment and Washington back to a bowl game for the first time in eight years.

Locker made up for two critical turnovers early by throwing a 27-yard touchdown pass to Jermaine Kearse with 44 seconds left, and Washington became bowl eligible with a stirring 35-28 win over rival Washington State in the 103rd Apple Cup on Saturday night."

Yeah we do which is why you shouldn't want Locker.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by communist:

Yeah we do which is why you shouldn't want Locker.
have you read what i posted????