There are 48 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tico's 1st Mock of the season...Top 16 w/7 rounds

1. Car--Luck, QB
No Brainer here IF he comes out. Plug him in and call it a day!

2. Det--Peterson, CA
CB is a top need and he fills that need completely plus gives great value as a returner as well.

3. Cin--AJ Green, WR
I think that one of the two WRs will be gone and I say it's TO. They keep Palmer and bring him a new #1.

4. Buf--Fairly, DT/NT
It was either he or Mallett, but their need at QB can't outweigh its value and the value is not here with Mallett. Instead, there's a need on the DL. They keep Fitz and believe they can get a QB to mold in the later rounds.

5. AZ--Mallett, QB
They can't believe that Mallett dropped to them and they are willing to reach a bit for him. They prime him to start as a rookie. After all, Bradford did it.

6. Den--Amukamara, CB
They need so much, but they take the CB to succeed Baily who's a FA next season and they have Dummerville coming back so now Bowers.

7. SF--Bowers, DE
Yes, Newton is there, but Bowers is clearly BPA and drops a bit because of medical concerns. He will be the new piece to our new 4-3 D. He and Justin Smith will cause havoc next year on the front end allowing our young LBs in Bowman and Willis to roam and tackle while taking the pressure off of our secondary.

8. Dal--Dareus, DE/DT
They need another DL for there D and he's versatile at that.

9. Was--Quinn, DE
BPA They pair him up with Orakpo to provide one of the best youngest pass rushing tandems in the league. I just don't think they will reach for Locker here. They may trade down.

10. Ten--Newton, QB
VY's replacement.

11. Min--Jenkins, CB
They need CB help badly and I expect Jenkins to jump all the way here after his Bowls and Combine.

12. Hou--Clayborn, DE/DT
Since Min took their CB they wanted, they take Clayborn to provide a disrupter on the DL who can play inside or out.

13. Cle--Jones, WR
They get their #1 WR for McCoy and Co.

14. Sea--Kerrigan, DE
Man, they need a pass rusher badly and no CB is worth it here. They thought about Locker, but went with BPA.

15. Stl--Blackmon, WR
I see him flying up the boards after Bowls and combine, too. They need a sure handed #1 WR to pair with Bradford. They get their man here.

16. SD--Ayers, DE/OLB
They need to address their pass rushers as both English and Merriman haven't gotten it done. Merriman is already out so this become a huge need. I can see them maybe going after Solder, the OT, but I think Ayers is the BPA at this point.

So there you have it. I think Bowers dropping and Blackmon and Jenkins rising as the big question marks here. Maybe Mallett and Newton going so soon too.

That's why they're mocks!

Now for the Niners 2011 draft:

Rd 1--Bowers, DE--Cornerstone for new 4-3 D!
Rd 2--Dowling, CB--A 1st Rd talent dropped to second!
Rd 3--Stanzi, QB--Time to groom a fresh one for WCO.
Rd 4--Gilchrist, CB--Need more young CB bodies to replace Will James and Paymah
Rd 5--Jenkins, DT--Need more fatties as we will lose McD and Evans on that line.
Rd 6--Marecic, FB--Can catch and will play STs.
Rd 7--Forbath, K--Time for new blood to compete with Nedney

Of course, this is w/o addressing the FA where someone like Woodley, McNabb, etc can change how we draft. Also scheme is definitely up in the air.

Eh, it's a mock.

[ Edited by ninertico on Dec 8, 2010 at 10:04 AM ]
IMO I'd take Darius over Bowers

Also could anyone see Luck straight out saying I dont wanna go to Carolina or Buffalo because he pretty much holds all the cards?
The thing is gonna end up being all about scheme. If they sticking to a 3-4 I think Quinn is a better fit than Bowers. Even with a new coach the labor fiasco may force him to keep Manusky and the same scheme b/c there won't be much time to implement a new defense and offense. Especially if it's a offensive minded coach.

I think Cincy passes on WR which is not a need imo. Even if To or chad leaves they still have Shipley to fill in and draft a WR in later rounds. I hear a lot of folks talking about possibly signing Carson Palmer. Well if that's the case qb could very well be on the menu for them. If not i see them taking Fairly, and I think Arizona will take Newton over Mallet.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
IMO I'd take Darius over Bowers

Also could anyone see Luck straight out saying I dont wanna go to Carolina or Buffalo because he pretty much holds all the cards?

I can see Buffalo, but why not Carolina? Isn't Cowher rumored to be coaching there next year? Decent weather. Crappy receivers I guess.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lamontb:
The thing is gonna end up being all about scheme. If they sticking to a 3-4 I think Quinn is a better fit than Bowers. Even with a new coach the labor fiasco may force him to keep Manusky and the same scheme b/c there won't be much time to implement a new defense and offense. Especially if it's a offensive minded coach.

I think Cincy passes on WR which is not a need imo. Even if To or chad leaves they still have Shipley to fill in and draft a WR in later rounds. I hear a lot of folks talking about possibly signing Carson Palmer. Well if that's the case qb could very well be on the menu for them. If not i see them taking Fairly, and I think Arizona will take Newton over Mallet.

Palmer will either restructure his deal or walk. Just don't see them keeping him at his current salary (he has 4 years left and is set to earn 11.5, 11.5, 13 and 14 million over those 4 years).

The one thing I really like about this is the idea of us drafting a blue chip pass rushing prospect if not a QB.
McNabb just signed a new deal with the Skins

I actually don't mind Bowers too much, but I still have Quinn over him.
  • kw49
  • Veteran
Can all four NFC West teams be in the top 15? I thought all playoff teams were automatically in the bottom 12 in draft order, or is there a trade that I'm forgetting?
Originally posted by SF69ers:

been speculations the redskins might cut him and tehy only lose 6 mil if they do
I see 5 of the top 7 teams needing QB help so I think they get over drafted, again, this year. There are 4 potential first round QB's this year.

With all the dline strength in the draft I can see teams convincing themselves that there will be a second round option with great value. Especially for the top 10 teams as they pick at the top of the second round.

I have a feeling that after bowl games (Newton and Luck) combine workouts (Mallett, Newton, Luck, Locker) and interviews (Locker and Luck) that teams at the top of the draft are going to "find their guy" and draft them. These guys all have first round grades with all or many teams and it only takes one.

Also, if there is a restructured rookie salary cap, and this looks likely, then the teams at the top will have much of the disincentive to take a shot on a developmental QB removed.

Still as for the mock Dline looks like the best fallback position if no QB is there. I would love to get one of the CB's and Marcel Darius or Fairly are my favorite 2 options on the defensive line.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

been speculations the redskins might cut him and tehy only lose 6 mil if they do

He would be great as a mentor for our new WCO QB that we will draft once Gruden gets hired. If he does, I trust his evaluations of college QBs. Seem to do very well with last year's class:
Great analysis and commentary!

Hey SF69, do you really have Quinn over Bowers after Quinn's issues medically from a brain tumor he had as a Senior in HS? No red flags there? If not, I can see it from a purely talent-wise stand point. I see Bowers being more versatile where he can go inside and he's better built, too.

Both have issues medically so it will be interesting what happens. Plus, I wonder if Quinn stock will get dinged because of the NCAA rulings.

[ Edited by ninertico on Dec 8, 2010 at 11:10 AM ]
Originally posted by ninertico:

He would be great as a mentor for our new WCO QB that we will draft once Gruden gets hired. If he does, I trust his evaluations of college QBs. Seem to do very well with last year's class:

Still nervous about Gruden developing QBs. Let's remember that he was also a huge fan of Alex Smith during the 2005 draft. I guess we'll never know how that would have turned out.

Still nervous about Gruden developing QBs. Let's remember that he was also a huge fan of Alex Smith during the 2005 draft. I guess we'll never know how that would have turned out.

Developing VS evaluating...I hear ya though. From what I can find out, Gruden is a highly respective evaluator of QBs in general. He definitely knows his QBs and I believe he's learned even more after being out of coaching for awhile.

Given his personality and history, I bet he is licking his chops for a chance to bring us back to respectability.

Now for the Niners 2011 draft:

Rd 1--Bowers, DE--Cornerstone for new 4-3 D!
Rd 2--Dowling, CB--A 1st Rd talent dropped to second!
Rd 3--Stanzi, QB--Time to groom a fresh one for WCO.
Rd 4--Gilchrist, CB--Need more young CB bodies to replace Will James and Paymah
Rd 5--Jenkins, DT--Need more fatties as we will lose McD and Evans on that line.
Rd 6--Marecic, FB--Can catch and will play STs.
Rd 7--Forbath, K--Time for new blood to compete with Nedney

This would be an A+ draft for me, very nice! I'm a fan of all of these selections, though I have seen little of Dowling and that kicker this season.
I agree with the positional selection. I think in the first round we definitely need a DE or a CB given one with top talent falls to us. I believe we can get a good QB in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round. And Stanzi is one that comes to mind.

Question is, can this front office realize that and go out and do this in the draft? I hope so.
We wouldn't pass on Locker at that point.