There are 133 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does QB accuracy ever improve from college to pros?

I'm curious to know if anybody can recall an instance where a QB's accuracy (completion percentage) improved from their last year in college to their career average in the NFL.

With all the Mallett, Locker, Newton debate... it seems that the answer to this question could shed some light on their potential.

To be clear, I realize (hope) that ALL QBs in the pros become more accurate than their college days. But does their completion percentage actually increase given the heightened level of competition?
yes its called practice
I don't have a prime example on hand, but when a college QB moves to the pros, they're getting much more training on their mechanics and footwork. That could provide help with their accuracy issues.
Interesting article on the "Rule of 59."

Interesting how Michael Vick has actually been able to improve his accuracy (from a completion % standpoint). Before this year, he had never thrown above 56%...he's currently at 63.8 which is pretty damn good. So it's possible, but history shows, not very likely.
For example: Does a 59% completion rate guy in college become a 65% completion rate guy in the pros?

I realize, like any player, their mechanics and overall skill improve with coaching. But it seems that the increased level of play could negate some of that. Thus, they'd complete a similar % of passes.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Interesting article on the "Rule of 59."

Interesting how Michael Vick has actually been able to improve his accuracy (from a completion % standpoint). Before this year, he had never thrown above 56%...he's currently at 63.8 which is pretty damn good. So it's possible, but history shows, not very likely.

______

Great! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks