LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 247 users in the forums

MadDog December 7 Mock

Kolb, Palmer, Orton might be possibilities. But I'd like a QB in the first too. We have many needs so I can't hate on taking bpa either as long as it's not a tight end or punter
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We just got to pick a QB. I'm of the philosophy we almost have to force it now. It's been almost a decade of bad QB play. It can't go on longer. We have to address that position. Yes we have tons of other holes. We are not a QB away. We are a lot away. Many WZers are not realistic about this. It's almost complete rebuild mode after years of rebuilding. But we can't ignore QB anymore.

Once upon a time the Chargers picked Ryan Leaf. Terrible pick. Then instead to being gun shy they picked again and again. Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers came after. So if at first you don't succeed. Pick and pick again.

All I know is this team will NEVER go anywhere without a legit QB. And we need a legit Coach and Front Office too.

At number seven, a team has got to be blown away by a QB prospect to pull the lever. And, I just don't see a guy in this group at QB that has 7th overall value, outside of Luck, of course.

Way too many red flags on Locker, Mallett, and Newton, especially with the enormous sum of money each will command as a high draftee. Look for the Niners to pick up someone already playing in the league.

i agree with this i accually wouldnt mind taking locker but thats it for the first round i think getting a CB or pass rusher should be our # priority in 1st round and take BPAQB in 2nd round and let him sit a year
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Selection Team Record Opponent Win %

1 Carolina 1-11 .583
Andrew Luck- No brainer if he comes out. It would take the mother of all trades for Carolina to trade out of this pick. Ready to start and impact immediately.

2 Detroit 2-10 .568
De'Quan Bowers- I'll stick to my guns and say the Lions go with a speed rusher to compliment the inside presence of Suh. This also alleviates the stress on the CB's, which the Lions will address later in the draft.

3 Cincinnati 2-10 .573
Nick Fairley- Toss-up with AJ Green, but I'll say that either Ocho Cinco or T.O. sticks around one more year and the young WR's get one last shot. The Bengals defense has fallen apart, and Fairley is a dominant force.

4 Buffalo 2-10 .589
Patrick Peterson- Lots of needs, but CB has got to be resolved. First really talented guy picked up after the departure of Clements.

5 Arizona 3-9 .474
AJ Green- Someone has to take pressure off of Fitzgerald, and Breaston can resume duties as the number three WR. Cards need to score point again, and Green gives them a dynamic one-two punch.

6 Denver 3-9 .516
Marcel Dareus- The Broncos defense is an utter disaster, and Dareus is a disruptive player than can play the 3-4 defensive end, or slide inside as an undertackle in the 4-3.

7 San Francisco 4-8 .500
Adrian Clayborn- The Niners will pick up the most talented defensive lineman they've had on their team since Bryant Young. In fact, Clayborn has a lot of Young in him. Good size at 6'3", and 285, and yet still runs a sub 4.80 time. Quick, explosive, and can dominate the line of scrimmage. Not a sexy pick, but a player like Clayborn makes all the other players around him a ton better.

Wasn't Bryant Young playing at 305 most of his time? Anyway, Prince should be the pick if it falls this way. Its too glaring an issue on the back end to not get the best cover corner at pick 7. I don't like having to go corner but hopefully the team addresses it instead of reaching for Newton

Virtually identical in size. Young listed at 6'3", 291 coming out of college, while Clayborn is listed at 6'3", 286. Young was the 7th overall pick in the 1994 draft. We also, if the season ended today, own the 7th pick 17 years later.

We didn't own the 7th pick in 1994, we traded up to pick Young. I believe the trade was with the Rams of all teams. Go figure..

Not sure I am feeling it with Clayborn though. What position do you see him playing?? 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT?? We could have a new DC running a new system..
Originally posted by jreff22:
what would option 2 and 3 be?

I would say that the team might be blown away with Prince's workout, or Justin Blackmon (if he comes out).

Two names to keep in mind. I think two of the shock picks in this draft will be Oregon State DT Stephen Paea and Maryland WR Torrey Smith (if he comes out).

Smith is going to be the second or third WR to be selected, and will go before Julio Jones. Smith is a better WR prospect than former Terps WR Heyward-Bey, and will clock the fastest time of any WR at the combine. Expect a meteoric rise.

Paea is a 310 pound DT who will be the fastest (I expect an eye opening 4.92 forty) and most athletic DT at the combine. I will be shocked if he is not a top 12 pick. So fast, athletic, smooth on the field. Compared to some of the other DT at the combine, he is going to look like a linebacker in agility. Just like Smith, expect him to go much higher than currently listed in mock drafts. He was superb against Oregon. One of the best performances by any DT this season, against a very good team.

Derek Sherrod will emerge as the top OT in the draft. It will all sort itself out eventually, but I project him as the first off the board. The Niners seem set at OT, but he is one to keep an eye out as the draft nears.

So, don't be shocked if either one of these guys is wearing Niners gear in 2011.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 7, 2010 at 8:38 PM ]
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

1 Carolina 1-11 .583
Andrew Luck- No brainer if he comes out. It would take the mother of all trades for Carolina to trade out of this pick. Ready to start and impact immediately.

2 Detroit 2-10 .568
De'Quan Bowers- I'll stick to my guns and say the Lions go with a speed rusher to compliment the inside presence of Suh. This also alleviates the stress on the CB's, which the Lions will address later in the draft.

3 Cincinnati 2-10 .573
Nick Fairley- Toss-up with AJ Green, but I'll say that either Ocho Cinco or T.O. sticks around one more year and the young WR's get one last shot. The Bengals defense has fallen apart, and Fairley is a dominant force.

4 Buffalo 2-10 .589
Patrick Peterson- Lots of needs, but CB has got to be resolved. First really talented guy picked up after the departure of Clements.

5 Arizona 3-9 .474
AJ Green- Someone has to take pressure off of Fitzgerald, and Breaston can resume duties as the number three WR. Cards need to score point again, and Green gives them a dynamic one-two punch.

6 Denver 3-9 .516
Marcel Dareus- The Broncos defense is an utter disaster, and Dareus is a disruptive player than can play the 3-4 defensive end, or slide inside as an undertackle in the 4-3.

7 San Francisco 4-8 .500
Adrian Clayborn- The Niners will pick up the most talented defensive lineman they've had on their team since Bryant Young. In fact, Clayborn has a lot of Young in him. Good size at 6'3", and 285, and yet still runs a sub 4.80 time. Quick, explosive, and can dominate the line of scrimmage. Not a sexy pick, but a player like Clayborn makes all the other players around him a ton better.

Wasn't Bryant Young playing at 305 most of his time? Anyway, Prince should be the pick if it falls this way. Its too glaring an issue on the back end to not get the best cover corner at pick 7. I don't like having to go corner but hopefully the team addresses it instead of reaching for Newton

Virtually identical in size. Young listed at 6'3", 291 coming out of college, while Clayborn is listed at 6'3", 286. Young was the 7th overall pick in the 1994 draft. We also, if the season ended today, own the 7th pick 17 years later.

We didn't own the 7th pick in 1994, we traded up to pick Young. I believe the trade was with the Rams of all teams. Go figure..

Not sure I am feeling it with Clayborn though. What position do you see him playing?? 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT?? We could have a new DC running a new system..

Correct in that we moved up to the 7th slot for Young. Rams traded down twice that year, from 5th to 7th (with the Colts) to 15th (with the Niners..who had SD's pick). The Colts moved up from 7th to 5th to draft Trev Alberts, and Mel Kiper's hair was born.

I just find it ironic that we have a similar type player as BY on the board in Clayborn. I see a lot of similarities. Clayborn can play the 4-3 DE on the strong side, a 3-4 DE or an undertackle (especially when he gets older). Right now, he needs to run and pursue, so I'd put him somewhere on the outside.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 7, 2010 at 8:47 PM ]
  • dj43
We just got to pick a QB. I'm of the philosophy we almost have to force it now. It's been almost a decade of bad QB play. It can't go on longer. We have to address that position. Yes we have tons of other holes. We are not a QB away. We are a lot away. Many WZers are not realistic about this. It's almost complete rebuild mode after years of rebuilding. But we can't ignore QB anymore.

Once upon a time the Chargers picked Ryan Leaf. Terrible pick. Then instead to being gun shy they picked again and again. Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers came after. So if at first you don't succeed. Pick and pick again.

All I know is this team will NEVER go anywhere without a legit QB. And we need a legit Coach and Front Office too.
I agree we need a QB but with Luck off the board (or doesn't come out), it doesn't make sense to reach for a QB when the need for a pass rusher is also very great. A CB would be nice but a good pass rush will make the entire secondary look a lot better.

I would rather got BPA with the first pick and then trade back into the latter part of one to get a QB if it falls that way.
Originally posted by jreff22:
what would option 2 and 3 be?

I would say that the team might be blown away with Prince's workout, or Justin Blackmon (if he comes out).

Two names to keep in mind. I think two of the shock picks in this draft will be Oregon State DT Stephen Paea and Maryland WR Torrey Smith (if he comes out).

Smith is going to be the second or third WR to be selected, and will go before Julio Jones. Smith is a better WR prospect than former Terps WR Heyward-Bey, and will clock the fastest time of any WR at the combine. Expect a meteoric rise.

Paea is a 310 pound DT who will be the fastest (I expect an eye opening 4.92 forty) and most athletic DT at the combine. I will be shocked if he is not a top 12 pick. So fast, athletic, smooth on the field. Compared to some of the other DT at the combine, he is going to look like a linebacker in agility. Just like Smith, expect him to go much higher than currently listed in mock drafts. He was superb against Oregon. One of the best performances by any DT this season, against a very good team.

Derek Sherrod will emerge as the top OT in the draft. It will all sort itself out eventually, but I project him as the first off the board. The Niners seem set at OT, but he is one to keep an eye out as the draft nears.

So, don't be shocked if either one of these guys is wearing Niners gear in 2011.

Considering the impact Haden has had of recent coupled with the mediocre play of Clements and Spencer I cant see how CB wouldn't be the pick. The DL is probably the best unit out of the whole team, I understand we need to build but not in the first.

If you have us passing on a QB in the first when do we take one? Alex will probably go, Troy is very meh, and Nate well....we share the same feelings on him. I have been more disconnected from college football this year because the 9ers have depressed me. You don't think Mallet or Locker will show something that will interest the new HC? I don't see us picking in the top 5 in the next few years so the chance to grab the best QB in those drafts wont happen. In has to be addressed and something needs to happen very soon.

The thought of AZ losing out and moving up for Luck then Sea getting their shot in 2013 (maybe Barkley) sickens me. Everybody gets a new toy and we have nothing, the West could be loaded with QB's except us.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Where do you have Robert Quinn going? How about J.J. Watt if he were to declare?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

At number seven, a team has got to be blown away by a QB prospect to pull the lever. And, I just don't see a guy in this group at QB that has 7th overall value, outside of Luck, of course.

Way too many red flags on Locker, Mallett, and Newton, especially with the enormous sum of money each will command as a high draftee. Look for the Niners to pick up someone already playing in the league.

Remember we might have a rookie cap for this draft so the money might not be as bad as in previous years.
MD the highlights of this thread for you are:

* Luck going #1, Detroit's pick at #2, the shout-out to Smith because I agree on both counts that he's better than Bey and will clock in extremely fast (not sure about being picked earlier than Julio though or even going top5 as far as WR go but it's too early for that)

* The Clayborn pick is just full of fail, although the Dline needs an upgrade it is far from being a priority and you can't convince me Clay is the BPA. I'm with the CB wagon, get me Prince who IMO is a much better overall choice and address a much bigger need.

* And finally, you forgot to mention Matt Millen becomes the new GM of the Cardinals

Give me a good QB or a lockdown CB that actually locks down the f**king WR
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by vrabbit:
MD the highlights of this thread for you are:

* Luck going #1, Detroit's pick at #2, the shout-out to Smith because I agree on both counts that he's better than Bey and will clock in extremely fast (not sure about being picked earlier than Julio though or even going top5 as far as WR go but it's too early for that)

* The Clayborn pick is just full of fail, although the Dline needs an upgrade it is far from being a priority and you can't convince me Clay is the BPA. I'm with the CB wagon, get me Prince who IMO is a much better overall choice and address a much bigger need.

* And finally, you forgot to mention Matt Millen becomes the new GM of the Cardinals

I wouldn't say full of fail. Have you seen Clayborn play, the guy just wreaks havoc when playing. Imagine a D-line with Clayborn and J. Smith as our DE's, the edges would definitely be set with those two.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

1 Carolina 1-11 .583

2 Detroit 2-10 .568

3 Cincinnati 2-10 .573

4 Buffalo 2-10 .589

5 Arizona 3-9 .474

6 Denver 3-9 .516

7 San Francisco 4-8 .500

Correct in that we moved up to the 7th slot for Young. Rams traded down twice that year, from 5th to 7th (with the Colts) to 15th (with the Niners..who had SD's pick). The Colts moved up from 7th to 5th to draft Trev Alberts, and Mel Kiper's hair was born.

I just find it ironic that we have a similar type player as BY on the board in Clayborn. I see a lot of similarities. Clayborn can play the 4-3 DE on the strong side, a 3-4 DE or an undertackle (especially when he gets older). Right now, he needs to run and pursue, so I'd put him somewhere on the outside.

MD, if you were GM, how would you address the QB position? We can't keep BSing the most important player on the team in favor of DL and LBs
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
no way we dont grab Peterson

He's got Peterson going to the Bills...

1 Carolina 1-11 .583
Andrew Luck- No brainer if he comes out. It would take the mother of all trades for Carolina to trade out of this pick. Ready to start and impact immediately. like i have already stated in another thread, usually it should be the pick unless your lines are bulls**t and you dont have any 2nd-rounder...even luck could struggle behind that o-line.

2 Detroit 2-10 .568
De'Quan Bowers- I'll stick to my guns and say the Lions go with a speed rusher to compliment the inside presence of Suh. This also alleviates the stress on the CB's, which the Lions will address later in the draft. peterson could be picked here either, too but yes, the pass defense begins in the trenches, thus d-line>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>secondary.

3 Cincinnati 2-10 .573
Nick Fairley- Toss-up with AJ Green, but I'll say that either Ocho Cinco or T.O. sticks around one more year and the young WR's get one last shot. The Bengals defense has fallen apart, and Fairley is a dominant force. ok

4 Buffalo 2-10 .589
Patrick Peterson- Lots of needs, but CB has got to be resolved. First really talented guy picked up after the departure of Clements. i would prefer a d-liner but it's ok ovr.

5 Arizona 3-9 .474
AJ Green- Someone has to take pressure off of Fitzgerald, and Breaston can resume duties as the number three WR. Cards need to score point again, and Green gives them a dynamic one-two punch. yeah, thats BPA but the WR-position is the least important for the tards imo...their DTs suck too bad to pass up on dareus, for example.

6 Denver 3-9 .516
Marcel Dareus- The Broncos defense is an utter disaster, and Dareus is a disruptive player than can play the 3-4 defensive end, or slide inside as an undertackle in the 4-3. their biggest need...will be the pick if dareus is still available...and they wont pass up on him b/c the broncos dumped mcdump.

7 San Francisco 4-8 .500
Adrian Clayborn- The Niners will pick up the most talented defensive lineman they've had on their team since Bryant Young. In fact, Clayborn has a lot of Young in him. Good size at 6'3", and 285, and yet still runs a sub 4.80 time. Quick, explosive, and can dominate the line of scrimmage. Not a sexy pick, but a player like Clayborn makes all the other players around him a ton better. DE is a need but why not quinn?
[ Edited by communist on Dec 8, 2010 at 12:49 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone