LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

MadDog December 7 Mock

Selection Team Record Opponent Win %

1 Carolina 1-11 .583
Andrew Luck- No brainer if he comes out. It would take the mother of all trades for Carolina to trade out of this pick. Ready to start and impact immediately.

2 Detroit 2-10 .568
De'Quan Bowers- I'll stick to my guns and say the Lions go with a speed rusher to compliment the inside presence of Suh. This also alleviates the stress on the CB's, which the Lions will address later in the draft.

3 Cincinnati 2-10 .573
Nick Fairley- Toss-up with AJ Green, but I'll say that either Ocho Cinco or T.O. sticks around one more year and the young WR's get one last shot. The Bengals defense has fallen apart, and Fairley is a dominant force.

4 Buffalo 2-10 .589
Patrick Peterson- Lots of needs, but CB has got to be resolved. First really talented guy picked up after the departure of Clements.

5 Arizona 3-9 .474
AJ Green- Someone has to take pressure off of Fitzgerald, and Breaston can resume duties as the number three WR. Cards need to score point again, and Green gives them a dynamic one-two punch.

6 Denver 3-9 .516
Marcel Dareus- The Broncos defense is an utter disaster, and Dareus is a disruptive player than can play the 3-4 defensive end, or slide inside as an undertackle in the 4-3.

7 San Francisco 4-8 .500
Adrian Clayborn- The Niners will pick up the most talented defensive lineman they've had on their team since Bryant Young. In fact, Clayborn has a lot of Young in him. Good size at 6'3", and 285, and yet still runs a sub 4.80 time. Quick, explosive, and can dominate the line of scrimmage. Not a sexy pick, but a player like Clayborn makes all the other players around him a ton better.
Where is... the rest of the mock?

Uhm, anyway.... I wouldn't absolutely hate the pick. Clayborn's a beast... but I wouldn't like passing over Robert Quinn or Amukamara for a DE. I feel like we could trade back for Clayborn, and if he gets taken in front of us, Cameron Jordan and J.J. Watt would be acceptable alternatives. So, no other SF rounds here, huh?
I say no way on Clayborn. He did absolutely nothing this season and appeared to give up on plays. He also spent a lot of time on the Iowa sideline sucking wind in crucial situation in the 4th quarter.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

1 Carolina 1-11 .583
Andrew Luck- No brainer if he comes out. It would take the mother of all trades for Carolina to trade out of this pick. Ready to start and impact immediately.

2 Detroit 2-10 .568
De'Quan Bowers- I'll stick to my guns and say the Lions go with a speed rusher to compliment the inside presence of Suh. This also alleviates the stress on the CB's, which the Lions will address later in the draft.

3 Cincinnati 2-10 .573
Nick Fairley- Toss-up with AJ Green, but I'll say that either Ocho Cinco or T.O. sticks around one more year and the young WR's get one last shot. The Bengals defense has fallen apart, and Fairley is a dominant force.

4 Buffalo 2-10 .589
Patrick Peterson- Lots of needs, but CB has got to be resolved. First really talented guy picked up after the departure of Clements.

5 Arizona 3-9 .474
AJ Green- Someone has to take pressure off of Fitzgerald, and Breaston can resume duties as the number three WR. Cards need to score point again, and Green gives them a dynamic one-two punch.

6 Denver 3-9 .516
Marcel Dareus- The Broncos defense is an utter disaster, and Dareus is a disruptive player than can play the 3-4 defensive end, or slide inside as an undertackle in the 4-3.

7 San Francisco 4-8 .500
Adrian Clayborn- The Niners will pick up the most talented defensive lineman they've had on their team since Bryant Young. In fact, Clayborn has a lot of Young in him. Good size at 6'3", and 285, and yet still runs a sub 4.80 time. Quick, explosive, and can dominate the line of scrimmage. Not a sexy pick, but a player like Clayborn makes all the other players around him a ton better.

Wasn't Bryant Young playing at 305 most of his time? Anyway, Prince should be the pick if it falls this way. Its too glaring an issue on the back end to not get the best cover corner at pick 7. I don't like having to go corner but hopefully the team addresses it instead of reaching for Newton
Prince

Clements will be to expensive and we have no other options.
if we cant trade up for luck, trade up for peterson
in that situation i would love to get prince we need CB talent ASAP
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
If the Cardinals take Green, it is a small victory for the Niners (and the rest of the division).

Fitzgerald may not be there next season (trade), and definitely won't be there after 2011. If we've learned anything, its that great WRs don't win games when they don't have a QB to get them the ball (Cardinals, Bengals).

From a Niner perspective, the only thing I'd be nervous about is the Cardinals trading Fitzgerald for a late 1st and selecting somebody like Cam Newton later in the round.
Put me in the CB camp as well.
no way we dont grab Peterson

Originally posted by SFL49ER:

1 Carolina 1-11 .583

2 Detroit 2-10 .568

3 Cincinnati 2-10 .573

4 Buffalo 2-10 .589

5 Arizona 3-9 .474

6 Denver 3-9 .516

7 San Francisco 4-8 .500

Wasn't Bryant Young playing at 305 most of his time? Anyway, Prince should be the pick if it falls this way. Its too glaring an issue on the back end to not get the best cover corner at pick 7. I don't like having to go corner but hopefully the team addresses it instead of reaching for Newton

Virtually identical in size. Young listed at 6'3", 291 coming out of college, while Clayborn is listed at 6'3", 286. Young was the 7th overall pick in the 1994 draft. We also, if the season ended today, own the 7th pick 17 years later.
We just got to pick a QB. I'm of the philosophy we almost have to force it now. It's been almost a decade of bad QB play. It can't go on longer. We have to address that position. Yes we have tons of other holes. We are not a QB away. We are a lot away. Many WZers are not realistic about this. It's almost complete rebuild mode after years of rebuilding. But we can't ignore QB anymore.

Once upon a time the Chargers picked Ryan Leaf. Terrible pick. Then instead to being gun shy they picked again and again. Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers came after. So if at first you don't succeed. Pick and pick again.

All I know is this team will NEVER go anywhere without a legit QB. And we need a legit Coach and Front Office too.
what would option 2 and 3 be?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We just got to pick a QB. I'm of the philosophy we almost have to force it now. It's been almost a decade of bad QB play. It can't go on longer. We have to address that position. Yes we have tons of other holes. We are not a QB away. We are a lot away. Many WZers are not realistic about this. It's almost complete rebuild mode after years of rebuilding. But we can't ignore QB anymore.

Once upon a time the Chargers picked Ryan Leaf. Terrible pick. Then instead to being gun shy they picked again and again. Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers came after. So if at first you don't succeed. Pick and pick again.

All I know is this team will NEVER go anywhere without a legit QB. And we need a legit Coach and Front Office too.

At number seven, a team has got to be blown away by a QB prospect to pull the lever. And, I just don't see a guy in this group at QB that has 7th overall value, outside of Luck, of course.

Way too many red flags on Locker, Mallett, and Newton, especially with the enormous sum of money each will command as a high draftee. Look for the Niners to pick up someone already playing in the league.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

At number seven, a team has got to be blown away by a QB prospect to pull the lever. And, I just don't see a guy in this group at QB that has 7th overall value, outside of Luck, of course.

Way too many red flags on Locker, Mallett, and Newton, especially with the enormous sum of money each will command as a high draftee. Look for the Niners to pick up someone already playing in the league.

They can try to trade up. Or they can trade down and get additional picks. But I still think a 1st round QB prospect is best. As long as you have an ACE QB DEVELOPER like Harbaugh. If you have Dingleberry or NoWin there is no point even picking a QB in all 7 rounds. It depends on the coach, the whole staff and front office. We have a joke in place as far as developing QB's.

Locker has a million dollar arm and million dollar legs. Mallett has a million dollar arm but is more stiff athletically. Stanzi could maybe be had later. A good coach could get something out of these guys. Better than Troy Smith and Alex Smith. Anything has got to be better than that at this point.
Share 49ersWebzone