There are 237 users in the forums

Locker or Newton

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Newton has upside and is a project. We cant afford another project QB unless we have a new coach who is a GOD at developing QBs.

Like Harbaugh... He was developing guys at University of San Diego who they were talking about as pro prospects before he was at Stanford. And USD is a lower level of competition. The mere fact that they even talked about it says a lot about Harbaugh. His QB background plus his coaching skills make him an excellent QB developer.

Luck is good but IMO Harbaugh has a huge amount to do with his development too. More than people know. Put Dingleberry on Stanford and nobody has even heard of Andrew Luck. Guaranteed. Coaching matters. Especially coaching up young QB's.

100%

and this tells what our HC plan should be. A coach who can develop talent, especially at the QB position. This is what has killed our franchise for the last 8 years..... Coaches who cant help develop QB's, and losing coordinators who could have
Newton has more potential, but will take a lot more work to make him NFL ready. His mechanics are pretty poor, and he won't get by on athleticism at the next level.

Locker is a good athlete in his own right, but doesn't have the upside that Newton has. His college experience and mechanics make him more NFL ready, and a project that could be completed much faster.

I'd definitely go with Locker of the two. I'd rather trade up for Luck though.
Newton has upside and is a project. We cant afford another project QB unless we have a new coach who is a GOD at developing QBs.

Like Harbaugh... He was developing guys at University of San Diego who they were talking about as pro prospects before he was at Stanford. And USD is a lower level of competition. The mere fact that they even talked about it says a lot about Harbaugh. His QB background plus his coaching skills make him an excellent QB developer.

Luck is good but IMO Harbaugh has a huge amount to do with his development too. More than people know. Put Dingleberry on Stanford and nobody has even heard of Andrew Luck. Guaranteed. Coaching matters. Especially coaching up young QB's.

100%

and this tells what our HC plan should be. A coach who can develop talent, especially at the QB position. This is what has killed our franchise for the last 8 years..... Coaches who cant help develop QB's, and losing coordinators who could have

Yes I agree. But our organization is not smart enough to get somebody to develop QB's. That makes too much sense. 49ers don't do logical things...

100%

Yes I agree. But our organization is not smart enough to get somebody to develop QB's. That makes too much sense. 49ers don't do logical things...

49ers = York family
If there is no possible way we can trade up for Luck, we take Locker. I'm confident that if we have an offensive minded HC like Harbaugh, he will develop Locker into the QB we all expected out of him.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Luck could throw for a 100 yards and still be the first pick. He is the jewel in this draft, and it is not even close.

Maddog, would you trade the farm to get Luck. Let's say what the Giants gave up for Eli? maybe even a bit more?

My answer is YES!!! He is the best QB prospect in a long time. He is going to be a very special player on Sundays.
[ Edited by Amir_Mamu on Dec 7, 2010 at 8:29 AM ]
Not sold on Locker at all. Maily b/c he's nto accurate. I'd rather take Newton or Mallet who are much more accurate passers. Luck won't be around.
Share 49ersWebzone