LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

Jimmy Clausen?

• fip24
  • Veteran
I have heard multiple draft experts say that A Luck would be highest rated QB to enter the draft since John Elway. If this is true, there will be no trading the 1st pick (regardless of whoch team is in that #1 slot). Lets say that the draft order holds and Carolina ends w/ Luck @ #1...Should the Niners make a play for Jimmy Clausen? If so, what would it take? I would do our #2 in 2011 and 2012

[ Edited by fip24 on Nov 27, 2010 at 19:55:45 ]
Originally posted by fip24:
I have heard multiple draft experts say that A Luck would be highest rated QB to enter the draft since John Elway. If this is true, there will be no trading the 1st pick (regardless of whoch team is in that #1 slot). Lets say that the draft order holds and Carolina ends w/ Luck @ #1...Should the Niners make a play for Jimmy Clausen? If so, what would it take? I would do our #2 in 2011 and 2012

Im a big big big ND guy, but I want no piece of Clausen at all, rather trade the pick for Kolb.

But my choice would be Stanzi or Devlin in rd 2 or late 1
  • fip24
  • Veteran
AB--Why don't you like Clausen? I don't follow ND too closely. Weak arm? 10 cent head?
AB--Why don't you like Clausen? I don't follow ND too closely. Weak arm? 10 cent head?

he doesnt have a great arm, and his lineage with his brothers scare alot of teams, plus his rumored to be not mature was another knock on him.

For me, Idk i just wasnt impressed with Clausen at ND. He didnt seem to have that It factor.

Idk maybe I make too much out about his arm and college production, but theres a reason he fell. That I dont know why.

If we could say get him for a 4th yeah sure do it. But I wouldnt throw a high 2 for him.

But again, maybe I make too much out of it, but oh well, thats me, lol.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Im a big big big ND guy, but I want no piece of Clausen at all, rather trade the pick for Kolb.

I wouldn't mind Kolb for a 2nd rd.pick
f**k no Jimmy Clausen sucks and will suck in this league
clausen does not have a big (enough) arm???
i suggested a 3rd or a 4th...

[ Edited by communist on Nov 28, 2010 at 07:52:09 ]
No team would live up a 2nd let alone two 2nd's for Clausen.

Maybe a 4th or 5th.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:

Maybe a 4th or 5th.
who cares?
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Sjceruti:

Maybe a 4th or 5th.
who cares?

I'm confused by youre question...

Who cares that no team will give up 2 2nd's? Because thats what this thread is about...

I think Carolina would stick with Clausen and trade down if demand is really that high for Luck. You put AJ Green opposite of Steve Smith and get the O-line and running game healthy, and Clausen lights it up.

But if Carolina was parting ways with Clausen, I would offer a third in 2011 or a 2nd in 2012. That's because they spend a 2nd rounder on him, and they're the ones trading him.
Originally posted by titan:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

I wouldn't mind Kolb for a 2nd rd.pick

Good point -- if Kolb is on the trading block, why trade for Clausen?

Wow. Help me out here. Why would you offer not one, but two!, second round picks for a guy that cost only 1 2nd rounder to begin with and is getting dumped because he's now viewed as expendable by the team that drafted him in the first place.

If the Panthers want to trade him away after a poor rookie year because they draft Luck, then they aren't in a position where they have much leverage cause other teams know they are interested in Luck not Clausen. In other words, Clausen's price would go down, not up. Clausen for a 3rd would be more reasonable, in which case I say meh, I'd rather just draft maybe Jake Locker in the 3rd if he slides down that far or some other QB. Newsflash: Jake Locker is going to fall very far in the '11 draft and may represent a value pick if he's still there in the 3rd.

[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Nov 28, 2010 at 09:36:37 ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Clausen looks pretty bad as a rookie, but again hes a rookie on a bad football team (no WRs and hurt RBs), he also looked bad as a freshman starter at Notre Dame, but improved every year.

Freshman - completed 56.3% of his passes for 1254 yards, with 7 touchdowns (plus two rushing TDs) and 6 interceptions and a passing efficiency of 103.85, and he was sacked a team-record 34 times.

Sophomore - completed 60.9% of his passes for 3172 yards, 25 touchdowns and 17 interceptions and a 132.5 efficiency rating which places him as the 44th ranked QB in Division 1-A football.

Junior - 3,722 yards passing, a 68.8% completion rate, 161.42 passer rating, 28 touchdowns, and four interceptions.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Clausen looks pretty bad as a rookie, but again hes a rookie on a bad football team (no WRs and hurt RBs), he also looked bad as a freshman starter at Notre Dame, but improved every year.

Freshman - completed 56.3% of his passes for 1254 yards, with 7 touchdowns (plus two rushing TDs) and 6 interceptions and a passing efficiency of 103.85, and he was sacked a team-record 34 times.

Sophomore - completed 60.9% of his passes for 3172 yards, 25 touchdowns and 17 interceptions and a 132.5 efficiency rating which places him as the 44th ranked QB in Division 1-A football.

Junior - 3,722 yards passing, a 68.8% completion rate, 161.42 passer rating, 28 touchdowns, and four interceptions.

Agree -- how can you blame a rookie QB on a poor team? See this local (Charlotte) take on the Panthers' demise:

http://www.gastongazette.com/sports/first-52990-nfc-championship.html

I would trade a 3rd or a 4th for Clausen, and take a CB with the #1 if Carolina is stupid enough to give up on him.

But personally, I think Carolina sticks w/ Clausen.
Share 49ersWebzone