LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 139 users in the forums

Which position should the 49ers use a 1st round pick on this year?

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We need a QB. All the other doesn't matter until we get that figured out. Troy Smith is stop gap and would be a better #2. Although I feel he can be a high end #2 and wouldn't mind signing him longer. He can be our #2 for a long time. And win some games if he has to.

I dont see why he can not be our starter for a few more yrs, or longer.

He has the arm, and accuracy and speed.

And he is a winner, so, i say also keep him, and let him play, maybe draft a guy in rd 2, if No Luck, and then have them fight for the spot.

We just played some absolutely horrific teams. The Cards are about as talented as the 0 - 16 Lions. It's painful watching them. And I don't even like them... They are so bad it's unbelievable.

The one real quality team Troy faced he got blanked at home. Shut out. We will see what happens at Green Bay and at Chargers. I want to see some real tough games and away games before I annoint him starter for the next few years. He's done nothing to earn that. The one quality opponent he faced he got shut out at home...

yeah I agree.

I was chatting with Justin(jreff22) tonight on the phone, and we agree with you, i wanna see him against SD and GB also, but so far so good.

I agree with AB, T. smith could be a nice buffer for a year or two. Remember he didn't even participate in training camp- he can only get better.

I like the idea of drafting some one like Stanzi in the second and taking our time developing him.

I am looking forward to watching him in Green Bay and against SD, it should tell us a lot.

yeah I agree.

I was chatting with Justin(jreff22) tonight on the phone, and we agree with you, i wanna see him against SD and GB also, but so far so good.

No doubt AB... let's see what he has against the elite Ds on the road. To be fair though the OL probably won't help him. They didn't against the Bucs... he can get the job done if you give him time.

My knock on him so far besides he's a little short would be he holds onto the ball too long at times while taking unnecessary sacks and occasionally makes dumb throws that shouldn't leave his arm (the toss up, the throw while being sacked tonight, etc). What I like is some times he moves well in the pocket and escapes.... throws well on the run, accurate on the run, zip on the ball, might be a little bit inaccurate in the pocket. We will see but I am not against giving him a shot next year as of now. Might help us build the team back up or let a 2nd/3rd round QB sit for a year.
agreed guys, He is smallish side, so thats a disadvantage, but without good protection by the OL, he may be screwed.
agreed guys, He is smallish side, so thats a disadvantage, but without good protection by the OL, he may be screwed.

It's weird because certain times he scrambles and uses his feet to get out of there. Other times he holds it and holds it and doesn't even think about running. I don't want to make it seem like he should be run first but he has to learn when to take off, when to throw the ball away, etc. You're right though... a 6'4" or 6'5" guy can probably stand tall in the pocket on a blitz and get it out. Troy might have problems with that.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
QB Ryan mallet, Jake locker or Andrew Luck...dont care which one
DE...we need a pass rusher in the worst way [b]Da'quan bowers,or [Marcell Dareus/b]
matt moore picked us apart..remember that game ....^^^^^^

I'd be so happy

[ Edited by dmax on Nov 30, 2010 at 14:15:21 ]
Its not even an argument we need to draft a QB. End of story our team needs a QB we wont be in the playoffs till we get one. Get a CB in free agency and later in the draft. QB QB QB QB QB QB QB QB
Patrick Peterson is a f**king man...if we are in position to draft him, I just cannot see us passing him up...
QB
QB
QB
QB
Since we can't get Luck we should get BPA among CB, WR & DE and DT. Either trade for a QB or draft a QB to groom for the future in the second.

f**k man we really need Luck, we have almost all the pieces (with the exception of pass rushers and DB's) to be a force in the NFC next year if we could get a compliment coaching staff and a legit QB.
Corner, QB, OLB, kicker.

Originally posted by EscuelaVieja:
Corner, QB, OLB, kicker.

So we're going to become the Oakland Raiders and draft a kicker in the first round?
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Corner, QB, OLB, kicker.

So we're going to become the Oakland Raiders and draft a kicker in the first round?

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Corner, QB, OLB, kicker.

I can't believe how many people believe teams would let a guy picked in the top 10-15, sit for a year...

1.) There is no way a dude getting paid top 15 money is going to be paid to ride the bench (with the amount QB's are being paid these days, I just don't see it)

2.) "Sitting" and "Learning" for a year or two didn't really seem to help quarterbacks like Matt Leinart and Brady Quinn. (IMO he either has it or doesn't)
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:
I can't believe how many people believe teams would let a guy picked in the top 10-15, sit for a year...

1.) There is no way a dude getting paid top 15 money is going to be paid to ride the bench (with the amount QB's are being paid these days, I just don't see it)

2.) "Sitting" and "Learning" for a year or two didn't really seem to help quarterbacks like Matt Leinart and Brady Quinn. (IMO he either has it or doesn't)

Quinn missed Camp, and Lienart was a miss.

Aaron Rodgers sat.
Share 49ersWebzone