There are 180 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Which position should the 49ers use a 1st round pick on this year?

Member Milestone: This is post number 1,400 for nickbradley.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Some homepage? WTF? FootballOutsiders is a well-respected institution that actually peels back the top layers of statistics to see where and when they happened. If we have the #1 pass defense but faced the worst QBs -- it doesn't really mean that much. That's what they do.

So we generate a sack every 15 drop-backs -- that's pretty good. San Diego and Oakland generate a sack every 10 drop-backs -- that's amazing. But SD and Oakland get coverage sacks and we don't.
you need serious pressure...if i see a matt moore standing in the pocket and having all time in the world, then i think that our pass-rush is not that good. it's not only about sucks, we don't even hurry the QBs that often.

Like I said, we're going a good job with e pass rush, but we aren't getting coverage sacks.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Some homepage? WTF? FootballOutsiders is a well-respected institution that actually peels back the top layers of statistics to see where and when they happened. If we have the #1 pass defense but faced the worst QBs -- it doesn't really mean that much. That's what they do.

So we generate a sack every 15 drop-backs -- that's pretty good. San Diego and Oakland generate a sack every 10 drop-backs -- that's amazing. But SD and Oakland get coverage sacks and we don't.
you need serious pressure...if i see a matt moore standing in the pocket and having all time in the world, then i think that our pass-rush is not that good. it's not only about sucks, we don't even hurry the QBs that often.

Like I said, we're going a good job with e pass rush, but we aren't getting coverage sacks.

I would agree with communist but I would probably take Quinn in the top 10. Beal, Ayers, Houston I might think about mid to late round 1 if we start winning games or trade back up into the first. To me our pass rush is inconsistent. In the past we have gotten 6 sacks one game and then none for 2, 3 games in a row. We need guys who get a constant push and can bring you a sack a game or two games. Just plain more guys that get constant pressure. I know we where expecting big things out of Brooks but he's been injured and Laboy and Haralson are average, Lawson isn't a pass rusher so take a risk and if we happen to hit than so be it. If Brooks or another guy also busts out than great.... you can never have too many pass rushers. That doesn't take away from the fact that we still could use a CB and FS.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Some homepage? WTF? FootballOutsiders is a well-respected institution that actually peels back the top layers of statistics to see where and when they happened. If we have the #1 pass defense but faced the worst QBs -- it doesn't really mean that much. That's what they do.

So we generate a sack every 15 drop-backs -- that's pretty good. San Diego and Oakland generate a sack every 10 drop-backs -- that's amazing. But SD and Oakland get coverage sacks and we don't.
you need serious pressure...if i see a matt moore standing in the pocket and having all time in the world, then i think that our pass-rush is not that good. it's not only about sucks, we don't even hurry the QBs that often.

Like I said, we're going a good job with e pass rush, but we aren't getting coverage sacks.

I would agree with communist but I would probably take Quinn in the top 10. Beal, Ayers, Houston I might think about mid to late round 1 if we start winning games or trade back up into the first. To me our pass rush is inconsistent. In the past we have gotten 6 sacks one game and then none for 2, 3 games in a row. We need guys who get a constant push and can bring you a sack a game or two games. Just plain more guys that get constant pressure. I know we where expecting big things out of Brooks but he's been injured and Laboy and Haralson are average, Lawson isn't a pass rusher so take a risk and if we happen to hit than so be it. If Brooks or another guy also busts out than great.... you can never have too many pass rushers. That doesn't take away from the fact that we still could use a CB and FS.
our pass rush may be inconsistant but our secondary is just atrocious almost every 1b we have faced has had one of the best games of the season against us we even let matt moore throw for 300 yards against us

we have to go CB in first round (unless peterson and prince are gone)
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Some homepage? WTF? FootballOutsiders is a well-respected institution that actually peels back the top layers of statistics to see where and when they happened. If we have the #1 pass defense but faced the worst QBs -- it doesn't really mean that much. That's what they do.

So we generate a sack every 15 drop-backs -- that's pretty good. San Diego and Oakland generate a sack every 10 drop-backs -- that's amazing. But SD and Oakland get coverage sacks and we don't.
you need serious pressure...if i see a matt moore standing in the pocket and having all time in the world, then i think that our pass-rush is not that good. it's not only about sucks, we don't even hurry the QBs that often.

Like I said, we're going a good job with e pass rush, but we aren't getting coverage sacks.

I would agree with communist but I would probably take Quinn in the top 10. Beal, Ayers, Houston I might think about mid to late round 1 if we start winning games or trade back up into the first. To me our pass rush is inconsistent. In the past we have gotten 6 sacks one game and then none for 2, 3 games in a row. We need guys who get a constant push and can bring you a sack a game or two games. Just plain more guys that get constant pressure. I know we where expecting big things out of Brooks but he's been injured and Laboy and Haralson are average, Lawson isn't a pass rusher so take a risk and if we happen to hit than so be it. If Brooks or another guy also busts out than great.... you can never have too many pass rushers. That doesn't take away from the fact that we still could use a CB and FS.

agreed, I like Ayers, Kerrigan, Quinn, Beal and Houston in rd 1 potential picks, the only top 10 is obviously Quinn, but the rest are mid-late 1's.
QB
With several glaring needs on both sides of the ball (QB, CB, OLB) and some question marks (re-sign Aubrayo? Goldsons regression) it is too early to project what position the 49ers should use a 1st round pick on this year without knowing the draft position of the Niners and the teams ahead of them.
Luck if he is there... (which I doubt) if not take a qb in the 2nd or 3rd round.
Also, with the 49ers poised to take their annual late season run at a .500 record it is just too early... still plenty of football left to play.
What is the new HC going to want (barring at least one playoff victory)? Will this be an offensive or defensive minded guy?

Being a niner fan has become like having a cheating girlfriend. They are just going to break your heart.
  • dman
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,453
Corner or Pass Rusher
Like always, BPA in a position of need. Then BPA.

I still think our top two needs are QB and CB with pass rusher and DT/NT (depending if we stick with the 3-4 or go to a 4-3).

I still believe we will be picking top 10 and there are some seriously great prospects who could immediately contribute:

Luck, QB
Peterson, CB
Bowers, DE (4-3?)
Green, WR
Amukamara, CB
Quinn, DE/OLB (4-3 or 3-4)
Dareus, DE/DT
Fairly, DT

I think we will have a chance at one of these fools come April. Not a bad list at all. Two great corners, two great pass rushers, two great DTs, just one QB though that high.

Stay put and BPA, IMO.

That's why so much is in the air for us with possibly a new GM and HC. Possibly a new offense and defensive scheme will dictate who we choose as well. If we go back to a 4-3, I can see us go DL especially with Bowers, Dareus and Quinn especially if both CBs go.

Too much in the air for a definitive, but the prospects are exciting!
Originally posted by ninertico:
Like always, BPA in a position of need. Then BPA.

I still think our top two needs are QB and CB with pass rusher and DT/NT (depending if we stick with the 3-4 or go to a 4-3).
I still believe we will be picking top 10 and there are some seriously great prospects who could immediately contribute:

Luck, QB
Peterson, CB
Bowers, DE (4-3?)
Green, WR
Amukamara, CB
Quinn, DE/OLB (4-3 or 3-4)
Dareus, DE/DT
Fairly, DT

I think we will have a chance at one of these fools come April. Not a bad list at all. Two great corners, two great pass rushers, two great DTs, just one QB though that high.

Stay put and BPA, IMO.

That's why so much is in the air for us with possibly a new GM and HC. Possibly a new offense and defensive scheme will dictate who we choose as well. If we go back to a 4-3, I can see us go DL especially with Bowers, Dareus and Quinn especially if both CBs go.

Too much in the air for a definitive, but the prospects are exciting!

I like your thinking here.

Scheme is huge (as far as DE/DT goes) insofar as trying to rate what type of player we need to draft in order to facilitate a consistent pass-rush.

BPA in positions of need. BPA BPA.

We have many needs, but the most glaring is in positions off the field (IMO).
  • dman
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,453
RB?

We need a QB. All the other doesn't matter until we get that figured out. Troy Smith is stop gap and would be a better #2. Although I feel he can be a high end #2 and wouldn't mind signing him longer. He can be our #2 for a long time. And win some games if he has to.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We need a QB. All the other doesn't matter until we get that figured out. Troy Smith is stop gap and would be a better #2. Although I feel he can be a high end #2 and wouldn't mind signing him longer. He can be our #2 for a long time. And win some games if he has to.

I dont see why he can not be our starter for a few more yrs, or longer.

He has the arm, and accuracy and speed.

And he is a winner, so, i say also keep him, and let him play, maybe draft a guy in rd 2, if No Luck, and then have them fight for the spot.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We need a QB. All the other doesn't matter until we get that figured out. Troy Smith is stop gap and would be a better #2. Although I feel he can be a high end #2 and wouldn't mind signing him longer. He can be our #2 for a long time. And win some games if he has to.

I dont see why he can not be our starter for a few more yrs, or longer.

He has the arm, and accuracy and speed.

And he is a winner, so, i say also keep him, and let him play, maybe draft a guy in rd 2, if No Luck, and then have them fight for the spot.

We just played some absolutely horrific teams. The Cards are about as talented as the 0 - 16 Lions. It's painful watching them. And I don't even like them... They are so bad it's unbelievable.

The one real quality team Troy faced he got blanked at home. Shut out. We will see what happens at Green Bay and at Chargers. I want to see some real tough games and away games before I annoint him starter for the next few years. He's done nothing to earn that. The one quality opponent he faced he got shut out at home...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We need a QB. All the other doesn't matter until we get that figured out. Troy Smith is stop gap and would be a better #2. Although I feel he can be a high end #2 and wouldn't mind signing him longer. He can be our #2 for a long time. And win some games if he has to.

I dont see why he can not be our starter for a few more yrs, or longer.

He has the arm, and accuracy and speed.

And he is a winner, so, i say also keep him, and let him play, maybe draft a guy in rd 2, if No Luck, and then have them fight for the spot.

We just played some absolutely horrific teams. The Cards are about as talented as the 0 - 16 Lions. It's painful watching them. And I don't even like them... They are so bad it's unbelievable.

The one real quality team Troy faced he got blanked at home. Shut out. We will see what happens at Green Bay and at Chargers. I want to see some real tough games and away games before I annoint him starter for the next few years. He's done nothing to earn that. The one quality opponent he faced he got shut out at home...

yeah I agree.

I was chatting with Justin(jreff22) tonight on the phone, and we agree with you, i wanna see him against SD and GB also, but so far so good.
If we can't get Luck or a top CB, I really like the idea of Adrian Clayborn.

Clayborn reminds me of Justin Smith, he may not put up 10 sacks but he is tenacious and makes everybody around him better.