There are 249 users in the forums

Do We still Draft of Sign a QB

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Yes without a doubt.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Yes without a doubt.
I'm getting tired of this whole "groom a draft pick for years through the crapshoot draft and see what happens" approach. Get Kolb over here and pay the man. Let Kolb and Troy fight it out and draft some small-school kid with intangibles and pray that he turns into a Brady-like QB years later. I couldn't go through another five, six years of p***yfooting with some "I have potential, but I just can't seem to get my head around it" QB. I'm tired of losing and, yes, I'm on the Troy Smith bandwagon...for now...but, we'll see how the season ends...

Shanghai'D
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DShanghai69er:
I'm getting tired of this whole "groom a draft pick for years through the crapshoot draft and see what happens" approach. Get Kolb over here and pay the man. Let Kolb and Troy fight it out and draft some small-school kid with intangibles and pray that he turns into a Brady-like QB years later. I couldn't go through another five, six years of p***yfooting with some "I have potential, but I just can't seem to get my head around it" QB. I'm tired of losing and, yes, I'm on the Troy Smith bandwagon...for now...but, we'll see how the season ends...

Shanghai'D

I think we should give Alex another year
the eagles had McNabb,Kolb, & Vick

i think we can afford to draft at least one
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Originally posted by DShanghai69er:

Shanghai'D

I think we should give Alex another year

• Lifer
  • Veteran
Rule #1 in the NFL - If you don't have a franchise QB, you need to find a franchise QB. Everything else is secondary to that.

After only two games, there's no way of knowing whether we've found our franchise QB. Even if Troy is the starter the rest of the way, I'm not sure you can make that determination on the basis of 9 games.

Statistically speaking, the chances of a 3rd string, 5th round pick stepping in and suddenly emerging as a franchise QB are pretty low. However, what I saw last Sunday was so exceptional that I now believe it's at least possible that Troy is that one in a million guy.

So the question is not whether you draft a QB next year, but how high do you draft him? The other all-important question is: Who is your Head Coach and what offensive system does he run? You should build a football team from the top down; not from the bottom up. Find your HC first and let him determine who his quarterback(s) will be. If you make the right choice at HC, he will make the right choice at QB.
Originally posted by Lifer:
Rule #1 in the NFL - If you don't have a franchise QB, you need to find a franchise QB. Everything else is secondary to that.

After only two games, there's no way of knowing whether we've found our franchise QB. Even if Troy is the starter the rest of the way, I'm not sure you can make that determination on the basis of 9 games.

Statistically speaking, the chances of a 3rd string, 5th round pick stepping in and suddenly emerging as a franchise QB are pretty low. However, what I saw last Sunday was so exceptional that I now believe it's at least possible that Troy is that one in a million guy.

So the question is not whether you draft a QB next year, but how high do you draft him? The other all-important question is: Who is your Head Coach and what offensive system does he run? You should build a football team from the top down; not from the bottom up. Find your HC first and let him determine who his quarterback(s) will be. If you make the right choice at HC, he will make the right choice at QB.

which is why the yorks need to fire dingleberry one min. after the season ends.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yes for sure.

Troy Smith is 5'10". And he played 2 home games. London was home by the more fans. Also against horrific teams. You guys are getting carried away on his upside potential. He won't lead us anywhere.

Did he shrink?

But yes, we still need depth at the position. I do not want Alex back next year even as a back up. He needs to move on and attempt to resurrect his career elsewhere. If he's still on the roster then he will play eventually, light it up for a game or two and we find ourselves on the same merry go round we've been on.

If Troy plays well make him the starter and draft a 2-3 round QB.

LB
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by leebert81:
Yes for sure.

Troy Smith is 5'10". And he played 2 home games. London was home by the more fans. Also against horrific teams. You guys are getting carried away on his upside potential. He won't lead us anywhere.

Did he shrink?

But yes, we still need depth at the position. I do not want Alex back next year even as a back up. He needs to move on and attempt to resurrect his career elsewhere. If he's still on the roster then he will play eventually, light it up for a game or two and we find ourselves on the same merry go round we've been on.

LB

I think Smith is too short to be a starting Qb in the NFL. I think he's actually 5'9". Him and Fwankie look to be the same size.

Originally posted by mayo49:
Yes for sure.

Did he shrink?

LB

I think Smith is too short to be a starting Qb in the NFL. I think he's actually 5'9". Him and Fwankie look to be the same size.

Yea those 356 yards and 1(4)TD's last week against the Rams last week totally agree with you.
Originally posted by backontop:
Yes for sure.

Did he shrink?

LB

Yea those 356 yards and 1(4)TD's last week against the Rams last week totally agree with you.

Doug Flutie may take issue with this as well.

LB
Yes for sure.

Did he shrink?

LB

LB

He was the first QB I thought of as well.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yes for sure.

Did he shrink?

LB

LB

Smith maybe the exception, but eventually his size is going to comeback to bite him. I rooting for the guy, though.
Yes for sure.

Did he shrink?

LB

LB

Smith maybe the exception, but eventually his size is going to comeback to bite him. I rooting for the guy, though.

Clearly Troy Smith's height rates him the inferior QB when compared to the taller Alex Smith. We should measure all of our QB's and who ever is the tallest should be named the starter......hell the tallest person on the team should be the starting QB.
Share 49ersWebzone