LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 146 users in the forums

Todd McShay Mock Draft on ESPN

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by mkary12:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Trade our 2nd for Kolb, bring in Gruden, and we're looking pretty good.

I rather keep our 2nd, draft Stanzi and bring in Murlarkey. Sorry, Gruden is not my first choice like everyone else around here.

Didn't Mularky completely flop in his last opportunity as a head coach? I don't know, I'm just nervous about these guys who don't at least have a little bit of a good track record.

Had two seasons with the Bills, his first year in 2004 he went 9-7 with Bledsoe at the helm. Second year in 2005 he went 5-11 with Kelly Holcomb and JP Losman. IMO, I think he deserved a 3rd year, I don't think he got enough time to see what his rookie QB in Losman had. Well it doesn't matter cause Losman sucked anyway. But with that said, I wouldn't say he flopped. IMO, I think he deserves another shot at being a HC a lot of the great HC in the NFL have failed before they have succeeded.
Originally posted by mkary12:

I rather keep our 2nd, draft Stanzi and bring in Murlarkey. Sorry, Gruden is not my first choice like everyone else around here.

Didn't Mularky completely flop in his last opportunity as a head coach? I don't know, I'm just nervous about these guys who don't at least have a little bit of a good track record.

Had two seasons with the Bills, his first year in 2004 he went 9-7 with Bledsoe at the helm. Second year in 2005 he went 5-11 with Kelly Holcomb and JP Losman. IMO, I think he deserved a 3rd year, I don't think he got enough time to see what his rookie QB in Losman had. Well it doesn't matter cause Losman sucked anyway. But with that said, I wouldn't say he flopped. IMO, I think he deserves another shot at being a HC a lot of the great HC in the NFL have failed before they have succeeded.

i would be happy with any HC that could gameplan

thats the main reason we have lost so many games so far its because we dont have a plan B when plan A doesnt work so our players look lost on the field when in fact is that teh coaches didnt do good job gameplanning
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
our #1 priority this off season HAS to be to bring in a QB that can take us to the promise land.

+1 Even if Patrick Patterson is available. We need a new QB, new hope, new buzz, new hype, new moxie... we don't have any of that. Kolb may be pretty good, but I'd rather roll the dice on Mallett.

I would take Patrick Peterson on my list over any QB in the draft besides Luck who may be gone or may not declare. I really like Stanzi alot and have been keeping my eye on him since the beginning of the season but hes not worth to pick that high up. We are getting torched by QB's and WR's in games and it really puts us in a bind. We know we are preety good against the run but we struggle against the pass (especially deep balls). If we cant stop teams from throwing the ball over our heads for TD's then we have no chance at winning games. Peterson really puts on a good show when you watch him play. I watched him shut down Julio Jones (me being a Bama fan) and he just showed so much fire and intensity to me. I would love to have this guy. He has a great physique build to him and is tough and hard nosed. If he is there I would take him over Locker, Mallet, Ponder, Devlin.

+1

I realize that Patrick Peterson is going to be the next elite CB talent. But when it comes down to it, the teams vying for championships have franchise QBs, and until we have one of those, we will continue to be in a position to continually draft elite talented skill position players like Crabtree, Davis, Willis, and potentially A. Davis. If we are to become a championship caliber team, we need to start by selecting a QB high in the draft. Its also a perfect situation for a rookie to be successful, with an improving O-line, quality skill position players, and a good (or at least I like to think it is) defense. Add on a new coaching staff, and you have an instant turnaround situation.

I agree, if we're in position to land a franchise QB in the 1st round, we need to pull the trigger or see if we can move up a couple spots to get one. But if the top QB's are taken, then we need to draft Patrick Peterson without a doubt. Then take the best available QB in the 2nd round or jump back in the late 1st. Its not like we haven't been coming away with two 1st round picks or moving up or down in the draft anyway. But if there's a chance to move up in the draft, this is time we really need to do it. But if we do miss in the first two rounds, we need to do what we did in the 2000 draft and select two QB's.

I don't care if we have to mortgage the farm, we have to get a new QB. Its got to be rookie too. And we just have to hope that Mallett or Locker or Stanzi or Ponder will be it, but its got to be now!

1st Round QBs:
2010: Bradford, Tebow
2009: Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman
2008: Ryan, Flacco
2007: Russel, Quinn

Bradford, Sanchez, Freeman, Ryan, and Flacco seem to be franchise QBs. 56%

Remains to be seen: Tebow, Stafford 22%

Busts: Russell, Quinn 22%

A better situation than we have now: 78%!!!! Not bad!!!

Well with Luck gone or not declaring I dont want to pick just a QB bc we need one. It could set us back another several of years bc he may not be the guy. I want to make sure he has "The Stuff" before just picking from position istead of BPA.
our #1 priority this off season HAS to be to bring in a QB that can take us to the promise land.

+1 Even if Patrick Patterson is available. We need a new QB, new hope, new buzz, new hype, new moxie... we don't have any of that. Kolb may be pretty good, but I'd rather roll the dice on Mallett.

I would take Patrick Peterson on my list over any QB in the draft besides Luck who may be gone or may not declare. I really like Stanzi alot and have been keeping my eye on him since the beginning of the season but hes not worth to pick that high up. We are getting torched by QB's and WR's in games and it really puts us in a bind. We know we are preety good against the run but we struggle against the pass (especially deep balls). If we cant stop teams from throwing the ball over our heads for TD's then we have no chance at winning games. Peterson really puts on a good show when you watch him play. I watched him shut down Julio Jones (me being a Bama fan) and he just showed so much fire and intensity to me. I would love to have this guy. He has a great physique build to him and is tough and hard nosed. If he is there I would take him over Locker, Mallet, Ponder, Devlin.

+1

I realize that Patrick Peterson is going to be the next elite CB talent. But when it comes down to it, the teams vying for championships have franchise QBs, and until we have one of those, we will continue to be in a position to continually draft elite talented skill position players like Crabtree, Davis, Willis, and potentially A. Davis. If we are to become a championship caliber team, we need to start by selecting a QB high in the draft. Its also a perfect situation for a rookie to be successful, with an improving O-line, quality skill position players, and a good (or at least I like to think it is) defense. Add on a new coaching staff, and you have an instant turnaround situation.

I agree, if we're in position to land a franchise QB in the 1st round, we need to pull the trigger or see if we can move up a couple spots to get one. But if the top QB's are taken, then we need to draft Patrick Peterson without a doubt. Then take the best available QB in the 2nd round or jump back in the late 1st. Its not like we haven't been coming away with two 1st round picks or moving up or down in the draft anyway. But if there's a chance to move up in the draft, this is time we really need to do it. But if we do miss in the first two rounds, we need to do what we did in the 2000 draft and select two QB's.

I don't care if we have to mortgage the farm, we have to get a new QB. Its got to be rookie too. And we just have to hope that Mallett or Locker or Stanzi or Ponder will be it, but its got to be now!

1st Round QBs:

Well with Luck gone or not declaring I dont want to pick just a QB bc we need one. It could set us back another several of years bc he may not be the guy. I want to make sure he has "The Stuff" before just picking from position istead of BPA.

Not to mention this is not exactly an awe inspiring QB class.

+1

1st Round QBs:

Not to mention this is not exactly an awe inspiring QB class.

Maybe you're right. Maybe this is a weak QB class and we will fall into the same trap as before with Alex. But its also pretty obvious that Alex went to a really bad situation where Aaron Rodgers went to pretty good situation.

I don't want this to become an Alex thread, all I'm saying is the success of a franchise QB is very indicative of the quality of the team drafting him. We are in a much better situation to have a rookie step in a be successful than we were with Alex.
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Nov 13, 2010 at 4:32 PM ]

Don't think the Eagles would make that move, since Vick has an history of injuries, but I'd make that trade for sure.
Sitting in the sixth slot this season, we are staring at one of the better defensive linemen (the depth of this draft), like a Fairley, Clayborn, Dareus, Bowers, Quinn, or see if a player like Green slips to number 6.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Don't think the Eagles would make that move, since Vick has an history of injuries, but I'd make that trade for sure.

If we cant move up to get Luck then I would absolutley offer a 2nd this year and probably a 4th next year for Kolb rather than reach for any other college QB.

don't see the logical conclusion...you wanna take an unproven college-qb in the first over a at least a little bit proven guy whom we could try to get for a 2nd-rounder?
Originally posted by communist:

don't see the logical conclusion...you wanna take an unproven college-qb in the first over a at least a little bit proven guy whom we could try to get for a 2nd-rounder?

The Eagles would never give up Kolb for a 2nd.

Originally posted by HessianDud:

i'd rather give a up a first-rounder for kolb than for mallett.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

i'd rather give a up a first-rounder for kolb than for mallett.

no way i'd give a top ten (or, most likely, a top five) pick for Kolb.
Locker going to the Vikings, huh how ironic because I think they pick up Alex Smith in free agency and Locker is pretty much the Alex Smith of the 2011 draft.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
2nd this year and 3rd in 2012 for Kolb. Bring in a WCO HC, draft CB in round 1. Pretty simple equation which would definitely put us in good position going forward in the crappy NFC West
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Sitting in the sixth slot this season, we are staring at one of the better defensive linemen (the depth of this draft), like a Fairley, Clayborn, Dareus, Bowers, Quinn, or see if a player like Green slips to number 6.

If we miss out on Luck, this seems like the year to trade down. Green and Peterson are worth that early pick, but after that, there's plenty of lineman that fit our defensive and several OLBs that can get after the QB. This seems to be a defense-heavy class.

Ideally, we trade back a few times, like the Broncos last did this year and trade a few early pick for Kolb. I know that sounds like Madden, but really, trading back would serve this franchise better. We need a QB, atleast one CB, a FS (IMO), a DE, maybe a NT...

I know we say this every year, but trading down makes a lot of sense. A lot can change between now and then, so we'll see.
Share 49ersWebzone