The Ryan Mallett Bandwagon

• lyer
  • Veteran
mallet in the 3rd or later would be great
Originally posted by lyer:

No way Mallet last that long. lol
Originally posted by S2000:
Decision-making: You're right. He's thrown critical INTs in big games and this is a cause for concern. Can this be improved with coaching? Did he learn from his mistakes? Overall, his production and TD to INT ratio is pretty good.

Accuracy: The inaccurate throws are due to poor decision-making in the clutch. In his career though, he's demonstrated excellent ball placement and the ability to fit the ball into tight windows. The physical ability is definitely there.

Mobility and the WCO: Can Harbaugh work with him to refine his footwork and pocket presence? His experience in a pro-style offense helps--he's already ahead of the spread-QB prospects in terms of his pocket presence learning curve. We'd have to adjust the offense for him by going into more shotgun formations to take advantage of his arm and compensate for his slower foot speed though. Other teams in the NFL do it.

Bottom line is that while he is not a pure WCO type passer and has his flaws, he is a playmaker that consistently pushes the ball downfield. In 2010, he had 3 passes of 85 yds or more, and a pass of at least 40 yds in basically just about every game. Those are killer stats against SEC defenses!

We can work with these tools. And since it's the second round, we are not making a big reach for him. Lower risk, higher reward. Bring him to camp with Stanzi or Taylor and let them compete.

Not to mention that he's a coaches son and a student of the game (easily the best at the whiteboard, if you were watching)

His mistakes are easily fixed through coaching . . . that's why you have that don't you. . . i mean. coaching?

This guy has an excellent chance at being a FRANCHISE QB. especially with a good QB coach. He can do it all.
Could Mallett fall to the 3rd? - CBSSports

Quote:
I've spoken with representatives of three teams since last night's first round about the players they anticipated being among the earliest to go in the second round.

Among the names -- Clemson DE Da'Quan Bowers, TCU QB Andy Dalton, Illinois LB Martez Wilson, Pitt DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard and Nevada QB Colin Kaepernick.

I was surprised that none of the teams mentioned Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett and asked each source about the record-breaking Razorback passer, specifically.

"I'm telling you right now, he could slip right out of the second round, entirely," one source said.

The questions about Mallett are, of course, more about his lack of desired intangibles for the quarterback position than they are about his physical skill-set. Most scouts believe that Mallett is the most talented passer in the draft.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by S2000:
Decision-making: You're right. He's thrown critical INTs in big games and this is a cause for concern. Can this be improved with coaching? Did he learn from his mistakes? Overall, his production and TD to INT ratio is pretty good.

Accuracy: The inaccurate throws are due to poor decision-making in the clutch. In his career though, he's demonstrated excellent ball placement and the ability to fit the ball into tight windows. The physical ability is definitely there.

Mobility and the WCO: Can Harbaugh work with him to refine his footwork and pocket presence? His experience in a pro-style offense helps--he's already ahead of the spread-QB prospects in terms of his pocket presence learning curve. We'd have to adjust the offense for him by going into more shotgun formations to take advantage of his arm and compensate for his slower foot speed though. Other teams in the NFL do it.

Bottom line is that while he is not a pure WCO type passer and has his flaws, he is a playmaker that consistently pushes the ball downfield. In 2010, he had 3 passes of 85 yds or more, and a pass of at least 40 yds in basically just about every game. Those are killer stats against SEC defenses!

We can work with these tools. And since it's the second round, we are not making a big reach for him. Lower risk, higher reward. Bring him to camp with Stanzi or Taylor and let them compete.

Not to mention that he's a coaches son and a student of the game (easily the best at the whiteboard, if you were watching)

His mistakes are easily fixed through coaching . . . that's why you have that don't you. . . i mean. coaching?

This guy has an excellent chance at being a FRANCHISE QB. especially with a good QB coach. He can do it all.

except talk normally

-9fA
  • lyer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by lyer:

No way Mallet last that long. lol

youre prolly right, i'd love see him as a 9er. i just dont think we'd get him in the 2nd.
I wouldn't have a problem drafting this guy at 45. If anyone can turn him into a franchise QB it's Harbaugh.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Baalke had any kind of balls they would draft Mallet.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
I wouldn't have a problem drafting this guy at 45. If anyone can turn him into a franchise QB it's Harbaugh.

You mean the same guy that screwed up the first pick*? No way!

*that's what I gather from reading the draft thread.

Originally posted by susweel:
Baalke had any kind of balls they would draft Mallet.

if he was smrt he wouldnt
  • S2000
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:
People only remember the bad plays he made and they were made in consecutive games... but he did lead a few comebacks. MY concern with him is that he seems to take his foot off the gas during games and teams got back in the game.

He can fit any system the coach just needs to tweak it towards his strengths. Bottom line though is that we don't have the receivers to break open 40-50 yards downfield (Ginn if he comes back maybe) so his arm strength is wasted.

We need to continue to address the lack of speed at our starting WR positions. In the meantime, at least Mallett may be able to "throw them open" with his arm. That's the dynamic that his physical skillset brings.

Drafting a QB with "great intangibles" and an average arm to combine with our possession receivers will ultimately limit what our offense can do.
mallett has a great arm but he's slower than a sloth
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I looked way back at my tweets from last year, fter the Arkansas Georgia game i said "I wish Ryan Mallett would be a 49er" haha funny to read that and now i don't really want him
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
good arm I don't think his mind is right
Share 49ersWebzone