LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

The Ryan Mallett Bandwagon

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I would draft Mallet over Gabbert and Locker.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Im on if we pick him
i could live with it
Balke/Harbaugh it's time to trade up and grab MALLETT!
45 to 33 lets go
  • S2000
  • Veteran
He is the best pure pocket passer in the draft. Most pro-ready. Character concerns be damned, Harbaugh/Baalke have to make a move for this guy.

Agree with all the above posters: this will be a tremendous value from 33-45.
Originally posted by S2000:
He is the best pure pocket passer in the draft. Most pro-ready. Character concerns be damned, Harbaugh/Baalke have to make a move for this guy.

bad decision making not very smart accuracy needs improvement immobile

these are not the qualities you want in a WCO and he posses all of them

dont get me wrong he is a great prospect and has teh best arm but for our system he isnt the guy
Ryan Mallett is not even on my board. Waste of a pick. Any QB not named Dalton, Kaepernick, or even Stanzi is a waste of a pick.
We need Mallett, Get it done Baalke!!

• S2000
  • Veteran
Decision-making: You're right. He's thrown critical INTs in big games and this is a cause for concern. Can this be improved with coaching? Did he learn from his mistakes? Overall, his production and TD to INT ratio is pretty good.

Accuracy: The inaccurate throws are due to poor decision-making in the clutch. In his career though, he's demonstrated excellent ball placement and the ability to fit the ball into tight windows. The physical ability is definitely there.

Mobility and the WCO: Can Harbaugh work with him to refine his footwork and pocket presence? His experience in a pro-style offense helps--he's already ahead of the spread-QB prospects in terms of his pocket presence learning curve. We'd have to adjust the offense for him by going into more shotgun formations to take advantage of his arm and compensate for his slower foot speed though. Other teams in the NFL do it.

Bottom line is that while he is not a pure WCO type passer and has his flaws, he is a playmaker that consistently pushes the ball downfield. In 2010, he had 3 passes of 85 yds or more, and a pass of at least 40 yds in basically just about every game. Those are killer stats against SEC defenses!

We can work with these tools. And since it's the second round, we are not making a big reach for him. Lower risk, higher reward. Bring him to camp with Stanzi or Taylor and let them compete.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by S2000:

bad decision making not very smart accuracy needs improvement immobile

these are not the qualities you want in a WCO and he posses all of them

dont get me wrong he is a great prospect and has teh best arm but for our system he isnt the gu
y
Wouldnt mind grabbing this guy in the 2nd
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by susweel:

Titans and Jaguars GM's disagrees with you both.
People only remember the bad plays he made and they were made in consecutive games... but he did lead a few comebacks. MY concern with him is that he seems to take his foot off the gas during games and teams got back in the game.

He can fit any system the coach just needs to tweak it towards his strengths. Bottom line though is that we don't have the receivers to break open 40-50 yards downfield (Ginn if he comes back maybe) so his arm strength is wasted.
Share 49ersWebzone