LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 433 users in the forums

Possible Andrew Luck Ticket

Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Ryan Fitzpatrick has put up incredible statistics under a horrible offensive line.

They'll go offensive line or wide receiver.

No the don't. No OT this year is worth a top 10 pick, let alone the #1 pick. They go Luck. Pardon the pun, but it's basically a lock.

You do realize it's November, right?

Let's jump in the time machine and look at a few mock drafts from around this time last season.

This one has Clausen going 2nd overall (he went 48th), Carlos Dunlap going top ten (he went 54th) and Sam Bradford going 7th. Another has Jonathan Dwyer selected 3rd overall (he went 188th), Clausen going 5th, Taylor Mays going 8th, Dez Bryant going 9th, Terrance Cody going 10th and Trent Williams going 14th.

I wouldn't lock in a Sophomore Quarterback with 2011 eligibility as the first overall pick. Moreover, a lot can happen from now until April.

Just last December, you seemed to believe Clausen would be picked first overall and boy did you get that wrong.

What do you expect form a "Draft Forum" in November? People evaluate prospects and make predictions about where they'll go. Today it'll be way off. February will be a little closer, April, still off, but closer. I'm not stating facts here, just talking about what I think, based on what I observe today. You're right, there's a good chance it won't happen, but as of today, I think it's a fair assumption that if Andrew Luck declares, he'll be the 1st player taken. Again, not fact...prediction.
I don't see us loosing enough to draft Andrew Luck straight up, and if Buffalo has the 1st overall pick, they're not trading it away to us unless we pawn the farm (1st rounder this year, and next year, and a few superstars currently on our roster...Willis? In other words...IT WON'T HAPPEN!). However this is a possible scenario, but with a lot of moving parts having to go exactly right. It's a long shot, but wanted to throw it out there:

-First and foremost, for us to get Luck this year, he must declare!
-We hire Harbaugh, who is determined to get his favorite QB any way he knows how
-Buffalo has been close in many games recently. They'll have to win 2-4 of them
-Dallas tanks...rather continues to tank...the season and finishes last
-Niners don't make the playoffs (longshot, I know!) and still have a top 10 pick

Dallas doesn't have a ton of needs, but can definitely benefit from some of the top 5 picks out there (Peterson, Amukamara, Dareus, Clayborne), however their real need is on the O-line. They learned the hard way, that Romo would do better with 2 top receivers and a healthy shoulder, than 3 top receivers and his arm in a sling. As we know, OTs don't often hit the open market, and having one, means drafting one. Luckily, none of this year's OTs are worth the 1st overall pick, and if Dallas decides that the O-line needs fixing, they can opt to trade down--something they haven't shied away from in the past. In this deep 3-4 DE class, will Dallas really rather spend a top 5 pick on a Dareus, rather than trade down, get an OT, and use the extra pick collected to get a guy like Cameron Jordan later? It makes sense for them. The two road blocks are of course that they can fall in love with Peterson or Amukamara, or they decide to go in a different direction than Romo, and opt out for Andrew Luck for themselves.

But if Dallas does get the 1st pick, and they are open to trading down, and Luck does declare, and we do get Harbaugh, I fully expect him to do everything he can to land his QB.

We're not likely to finish with the 1st pick, but if Dallas does, things could get very very interesting. In general, such a talented team, with stability at the QB position finishing last, will make this a very intriguing draft.

Disucss![/quote]

THAT says all we need to know!
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by saniner:
Buffalo needs a franchise QB. They passed on too many and if Luck is there and they pick first, I fully expect them to take him.

Fitzpatrick's stats this year:

Completion %: 59.9
Touchdowns: 13
Interceptions: 7
Passer rating: 85.8
Yards per game: 249.8

It looks like Fitzpatrick could be there franchise quarterback if he gets an offensive line to protect him.

With numbers like that, if Luck declares and Buffalo takes him, Buffalo takes another QB with their top pick, or Luck just isn't available for whatever reason, maybe we should make a run at Fitzpatrick if we lose out in the Vick sweepstakes as well. Last I checked, Fitzpatrick doesn't have much of anything in Buffalo. Imagine what he could do with Gore, VD, and Crabtree.
we need Luck to get caught with some hookers and blow for him to fall to us
Ryan Fitzpatrick has put up incredible statistics under a horrible offensive line.

They'll go offensive line or wide receiver.

No the don't. No OT this year is worth a top 10 pick, let alone the #1 pick. They go Luck. Pardon the pun, but it's basically a lock.

You do realize it's November, right?

Let's jump in the time machine and look at a few mock drafts from around this time last season.

This one has Clausen going 2nd overall (he went 48th), Carlos Dunlap going top ten (he went 54th) and Sam Bradford going 7th. Another has Jonathan Dwyer selected 3rd overall (he went 188th), Clausen going 5th, Taylor Mays going 8th, Dez Bryant going 9th, Terrance Cody going 10th and Trent Williams going 14th.

I wouldn't lock in a Sophomore Quarterback with 2011 eligibility as the first overall pick. Moreover, a lot can happen from now until April.

Just last December, you seemed to believe Clausen would be picked first overall and boy did you get that wrong.

What do you expect form a "Draft Forum" in November? People evaluate prospects and make predictions about where they'll go. Today it'll be way off. February will be a little closer, April, still off, but closer. I'm not stating facts here, just talking about what I think, based on what I observe today. You're right, there's a good chance it won't happen, but as of today, I think it's a fair assumption that if Andrew Luck declares, he'll be the 1st player taken. Again, not fact...prediction.

I expect people to use foresight and knowledge in evaluating probability.

Calling Andrew Luck a lock in November is like your prediction of Jimmy Clausen going first overall last year. Totally irresponsible.
Share 49ersWebzone