LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Possible Andrew Luck Ticket

1) Buffalo is absolutely horrific. I can't see them winning 2 - 4 games.
2) Dallas is horrific too especially with their QB injured for the season.
3) What's to say Dallas wouldn't pick a QB? What Super Bowl has Romo won?
4) Who told you Luck is going to declare with a work stoppage and as a Sophmore?

There is a lot of chinks in the armor of your plan...
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 10, 2010 at 12:53 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
For one EVERY player is within reach, no scenario needed. Too bad Alex Smith wasn't still under contract he'd give us ammo without possibly adding more picks. I just think we need Baalke or whatever GM is here to make a bold move and do whatever it takes to get Luck (if he declares).

I really like what the Jets did to get Sanchez, that was a real bold move that paid off. And that's the kind of move we need to make.

We can forget EVERY thought we ever had about Luck if Sing is still the HC. I have no doubt in my mind, he'll use the conservative approach and wait till the 5th-7th rounds again and take a Nate Davis type QB again.
Ryan Fitzpatrick has put up incredible statistics under a horrible offensive line.

They'll go offensive line or wide receiver.
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Luck might stay in school another year and enter the 2012 draft.

and thus my first point in the post
Originally posted by redrathman:
Ryan Fitzpatrick has put up incredible statistics under a horrible offensive line.

No the don't. No OT this year is worth a top 10 pick, let alone the #1 pick. They go Luck. Pardon the pun, but it's basically a lock.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Buffalo's current quarterback is playing pretty good and they are in a tiny market.

Maybe they'll look to trade down, collect picks, and move forward with a much cheaper Fitzpatrick plus a smaller cap hit from their picks.

Not a chance. Let me ask you. If you owned/ran a team, and your best QB was Fitzpatrick, would you pass on Luck?

It depends on what a team is going to offer. If a team offers a top 10 pick plus multiple extra picks I would consider it. The Bills have a lot of needs to address, a quarterback is not going to suddenly make them contenders.

A top 10 pick and next years 1st and 2nd. Essentially your mortgaging the farm. If that player (Luck) is important enough to wreck next year's draft, then go for it. 2 winning seasons is better than "rebuilding".

Well hopefully we won't be stupid enough to offer two firsts and a second. Franchise suicide.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1) Buffalo is absolutely horrific. I can't see them winning 2 - 4 games.
2) Dallas is horrific too especially with their QB injured for the season.
3) What's to say Dallas wouldn't pick a QB? What Super Bowl has Romo won?
4) Who told you Luck is going to declare with a work stoppage and as a Sophmore?

There is a lot of chinks in the armor of your plan...

Clearly you didnt read my post. As for tour points:

-2 games is very possible. They've been close, and just like everything else in this post, it's a situation that could or could not happen, not a prediction that Buffalo wins 4. If I had to make a guess, I'd say they finish last, but the way Dallas has been playing, I wouldn't be shocked if they got the 1st pick.

-yes

-again, if you read the post, you will see that my first point says that for this to be possible, Luck must declare. Meaning, that him declaring is up in the air. I think that being a lock for the top pick could persuade him. Especially if there's no rookie contract max yet

-this point is also discussed in my post. When dissecting the Cowboys' options I mentioned drafting Luck. It's possible, but it's not the most likely scenario if you ask me.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by redrathman:

No the don't. No OT this year is worth a top 10 pick, let alone the #1 pick. They go Luck. Pardon the pun, but it's basically a lock.

You do realize it's November, right?

Let's jump in the time machine and look at a few mock drafts from around this time last season.

This one has Clausen going 2nd overall (he went 48th), Carlos Dunlap going top ten (he went 54th) and Sam Bradford going 7th. Another has Jonathan Dwyer selected 3rd overall (he went 188th), Clausen going 5th, Taylor Mays going 8th, Dez Bryant going 9th, Terrance Cody going 10th and Trent Williams going 14th.

I wouldn't lock in a Sophomore Quarterback with 2011 eligibility as the first overall pick. Moreover, a lot can happen from now until April.

Just last December, you seemed to believe Clausen would be picked first overall and boy did you get that wrong.
[ Edited by redrathman on Nov 10, 2010 at 9:46 AM ]
Buffalo needs a franchise QB. They passed on too many and if Luck is there and they pick first, I fully expect them to take him.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by saniner:
Buffalo needs a franchise QB. They passed on too many and if Luck is there and they pick first, I fully expect them to take him.

Fitzpatrick's stats this year:

Completion %: 59.9
Touchdowns: 13
Interceptions: 7
Passer rating: 85.8
Yards per game: 249.8

It looks like Fitzpatrick could be there franchise quarterback if he gets an offensive line to protect him.

Originally posted by saniner:

Fitzpatrick's stats this year:

Completion %: 59.9
Touchdowns: 13
Interceptions: 7
Passer rating: 85.8
Yards per game: 249.8

It looks like Fitzpatrick could be there franchise quarterback if he gets an offensive line to protect him.

If they go for any position other than QB in the first, they should probably go with a defensive player. There are no OTs worthy of that high of a draft pick. I can still see them taking Luck to have a new face of the franchise. We'll see though. In the end it could be another team picking first anyway
I don't see Buffalo passing on Andrew Luck even if Fitzpatrick was lighting it up. However, the bills haven't exactly been predictable in the draft in recent times. You also have to consider the drafting trend for #1 overall during the past 10 years. Take a look at the past drafts.

2009 QB Matt Stafford
2008 OT Jake Long
2007 QB Jamarcus Russell
2006 DE Mario Williams
2005 QB Alex Smith
2004 QB Eli Manning
2003 QB Carson Palmer
2002 QB David Carr
2001 QB Michael Vick
2000 DE Courtney Brown

Although the trend has NOT been to always go with a QB in recent drafts, there is no prospect equivalent to a Mario Williams or a Jake Long (both of whom are alternative positions considered for #1 overall) who could possibly go #1 overall instead of Andrew Luck. Andrew Luck goes #1 overall HANDS DOWN regardless of who is drafting.
Ralph Wilson: Drafting QB is Bills' Top Priority
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
Ralph Wilson: Drafting QB is Bills' Top Priority

From the same article:

Quote:
Before you get your knickers in a twist - or in a tent, as the case may be - keep in mind that the offensive line was the team's top priority entering the 2010 NFL Draft. Fifth-round pick Ed Wang has yet to be active for a game, preseason or regular season, and Kyle Calloway was cut in August. What the team prioritizes doesn't mean squat now, and it doesn't mean squat in April, on what the team will actually do when the picks start flying. Take heart that the organization knows it needs a franchise signal-caller, but don't expect that to happen. That's not how Buddy Nix operates.
no way we a chance
Share 49ersWebzone